• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Height of swim platform

Albin's "power cruisers"
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Height of swim platform

Post by kerrye »

At what height are people installing their swim platforms on the A25? I'll be installing one soon and am wondering what is the best height. Perhaps as measured from the waterline/bottom paint line.
glk34
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mactaquac New Brunswick Canada

Re: Height of swim platform

Post by glk34 »

Kerrye, check out the attached photo. The actual measurements are not there but I think you can see that the platform is just above the rear original cleat. It seems to work well at this height. Any lower and it would be underwater at 6kts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

Thank you. Very helpful.
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sea Isle City, NJ

Post by stxray »

I know this post is over a year old but...
Kerrye - I was wonder what you decided and how it worked out. Any chance you might have a measurement from the rub rail to the top of the platform? Also, I'd be interested in how you supported it, i.e. brackets used and how you dealt with the curvature of the transom.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ray
Al Dente
1975 Albin 25 Deluxe, Hull #2350
Volvo Penta MD3B
Dinghy: 7'2" Achilles Inflatable w/ 2 Hp Honda
Residence: Southeast Pennsylvania
Homeport: Sea Isle City, NJ
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

FWIW here is a shot showing a few details on my swim platform. The OP installed it. It is too narrow(side to side) for my taste and I am looking to add 2 more supports and longer planks to bring it the full width of the transom. A few things to mention:

- expand the pic to see the attachment points. for the 2 outer support attachments, avoid the imaginary column below the vents - go outside of them.

- to address the curvature, simply shape the inner plank and otherwise just go straight across.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

Here's another angle. It shows the vents I referred to. All through-bolts are above the water line, difficult to see that. I would add that this one sits quite low to the water line and could probably stand to be a few inches higher.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stxray »

Sunsetrider: Thanks for the pictures and comments. They're very helpful.

This is a reclamation project where I'm trying to fashion a swim platform taken off an old powerboat and fit it to my A25.

It started out much wider than my stern. I was able to separate each piece and cut them to the size I needed. Using the pieces I cut off, I was able to modify the front (edge that faces forward) of the platform so that it conforms to the curvature the transom. I'm in the process of reassembling it and hope to post some pictures when I'm done.

I've removed the panels in the aft cabin exposing the channels you mention and I'll be sure to avoid them as I mount the support brackets.

Originally the platform was mounted with 4 stainless steel ell brackets, 2.5" wide x 3.5" x 3.5" x 1/8" thick along with 2 stainless steel tubes. If at all possible, I'd like to reuse these brackets. However, if I mount them flush against the transom, they'll be on an angle under the platform.

I'm wondering if that would be problematic or am I being overly anal? The alternative would be to cut angled wood spacers to go between the brackets and the transom. If I do that, then the brackets would be perpendicular under the platform. Of course, I would thru-bolt the brackets (and angled spacers, if used) with a backing plate.

What do you think guys?
Al Dente
Volvo Penta MD3B
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

Your concern is: You'll have a sloping swim platform if you bolt directly to the transom, right? You'll probably have to dry fit to see how bad that slope ends up being. Need to figure how much of an angle you have to compensate for. Maybe you can grind away something.

Ideas:
Instead of making spacers against the transom, make spacers against the underside of the platform or route/file it down?

If you go against the transom I wouldn't use wood. I'd use a dense material like G10 fiberglass board and I'd just thru bolt and glue it with 3M5200
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Ray, if I understand, you are concerned about both angles but may only be considering one, or have already determined that one angle is close enough. A straight transom that is also plumb can use 90 degree brackets mounted straight off the transom. Life is good with right angles. Since the lovely A25 was designed by an artist and not a technician, the stern is neither plumb nor straight. And, what is plumb on a rocking and rolling boat with a variable center of gravity and waterline depending on payload and the effect of the moon?

To the point: if the large angle makes the platform close enough to 'level', and if the brackets are from a boat with a flat transom, then I would probably mount them tight to the stern and let them radiate out, following the curvature of the hull, thus making them not square to the individual planks of the platform. And, as JT points out, if the platform is not level enough, come up with some kind of wedge between the top of the bracket and the bottom of the platform. Maybe mount your platform to new flatstock and have spacers cut to make up the difference and provide solid mounting to your brackets. Then you can either through-bolt them or have them welded.

Ain't it fun?
markdbecker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Higgins Lake, Michigan

Post by markdbecker »

You may want to check out this site. shatooshandpashminablogspot.com she has a whole section to include templates and where to place the brackets to avoid the vent system on the 25............
Ticaboo
1970 Albin 25 series 2 #575
Yanmar 3GM30F
Residence: Jackson, Michigan
Homeport: Higgins Lake, Michigan & beyond
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

stxray wrote:Originally the platform was mounted with 4 stainless steel ell brackets, 2.5" wide x 3.5" x 3.5" x 1/8" thick along with 2 stainless steel tubes. If at all possible, I'd like to reuse these brackets. However, if I mount them flush against the transom, they'll be on an angle under the platform.

What do you think guys?
That doesn't sound like the most rugged mount, and then you'll have to make modifications to get it to fit your hull. If it was me, I think I'd start over from scratch if you want something that won't get knocked around if you happen to hit a piling while docking

I made my own swim platform from scratch, so of course I had to make the mounting brackets as well. I ordered some 1" by 1/4 stainless on eBay and cut and welded the brackets. I custom made them to match the angles of the transom so the platform would be parallel with the water. Not that hard to do and it probably cost me only $25 or $30 to make them

I epoxied pieces of plywood together to make 1 1/2 inch backing plates for the bolts inside the hull

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

FWIW, here's ours. Yes it's down low, gets wet under way, but doesn't seem to cause any problems. If I had an A27 with wide beam transom, I'd do like our old dinghy snap davit set up used to be, as shown in the middle photo.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

I'm going mount mine so it's about 3-4" above the waterline. I don't think the swim platform should be awash underway or at anchor.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

On an A27 if you mount it at the same height as the factory rub strakes on either side, it will be perfect. That puts it a few inches above the exhaust and it will be just far enough above the water when underway . . . . plus, it just looks best at that height

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stxray »

Thanks for all the information. I can't imagine doing this restoration without this forum & all your support.

BetaDon: I like your suggestion for welded SS brackets as it will solve all my support issues. I sourced the steel now I just need to find someone to do the welding.

In your post you mentioned, "...factory rub strakes". Pardon my ignorance but, what are rub strakes and does the A25 have them?

Thanks to all :D
Al Dente
Volvo Penta MD3B

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”