• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Finally! - In the water and moving

Albin's "power cruisers"
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Finally! - In the water and moving

Post by Beta Don »

After sitting in the Biloxi Marina for 3 days waiting for gale warnings to be over, we got underway Wednesday morning. We headed east toward Appalachicola and ran 75 nm Wednesday, another 50 nm Thursday, another 50 on Friday (through some turbulent seas) and 48 more miles today, arriving in Appalach - One of our favorite cruising destinations. We've been here before many times. It's a great place to wait out a weather window for the gulf crossing

The new power train is performing very well. We're averaging 6.2 to 6.3 knots while underway and if my 'high tech' fuel gauge is calibrated correctly, we're burning about a gallon per hour - About 225 nm in 40 hours or so on about 35 to 40 gallons and towing a 10' dinghy. We'll know for sure when we fill it up in Carabelle before crossing

After YEARS sitting on the trailer, it's really good to be out on the water again! Headed for Tampa via Steinhatchee, Cedar Key, Crystal River and Tarpon Springs when the weather allows

It's February! - Lets go SOUTH!

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Re: Finally! - In the water and moving

Post by Mark Deeser »

Don't you love it when a plan comes together. Sounds like the boat is running right on the money. Can't wait to get ours finished to start doing some of the same. Have to much fun. Thanks, Mark.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

I'm envious. Glad you are getting some return for all your hard work. Have fun keep us posted
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Houston

Post by Vic K »

Have a great time and don't forget to keep the pointy end up.
Vic
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sold in New Orleans

Post by smacksman »

Well done Don. How is Caroline enjoying it?
Free State still not sold though I have not advertised her recently. Craiglist want a telephone number for verification and won't accept a UK phone number. Agents want sea trials.
So I plan to be back in New Orleans late March and head back to the rich people in Florida who hopefully will have more spare cash than Louisiana.
I made the mistake of listening to other old salts and crossed the 'armpit' Steinhatchee/Carabelle overnight. Luckily I was able to spot the hundreds of crab pots as the sun went down. This time I will do it in daylight to be able to see the pots. Its only 80 something miles so easily done in daylight, weather willing.
Are you writing a blog or Youtube channel?
Fair winds, Roger
1983 Albin 27fc 'Free State' with Lehman 4D61- now sold.
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

Roger, if you can get somewhere in the vicinity of Palm Harbor / St. Petersburg I wouldn't mind showing Free State for you. Also if you need a number for CL, let me know. I'm a Securities Lawyer so pretty much get to make my own schedule. Also work out of Home office. Easy enough to show your boat since I now have taken one apart and am slowly reassembling. My step-brother is opening an RV storage lot just north of Bradenton so can probably plug you in shortly.

Rick
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Don, let me know when you arrive in the vicinity. Ild like to take a gander at the boat if you have time.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smacksman »

Many thanks for the offer Rick. I will definitely make contact with you on the way south.
I would also like to see your Albin and compare notes.
The Bradenton Beach Free Dock was a blessing to me and allowed me to do some shopping and laundry. Nice friendly place and fabulous beaches.
Roger
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Beta Don »

rnummi wrote:Don, let me know when you arrive in the vicinity. Ild like to take a gander at the boat if you have time.
If you have some place for us to tie up, we can probably make that happen. I'd like to check out your boat too - I've already seen Roger's . . . . someone is going to get a nice A27 and at a good price when he sells it!

Don
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Are you just passing Tampa Bay or are you sticking your nose in. My boat's still on the hard in Palm Harbor. If you are coming in the next couple of weeks I have a slip at St. Petersburg Municipal Marina that I'm obviously not using. You're free to park as long as you need till I finish the Titanic.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Beta Don »

That *should* work just fine - We'll be headed into the bay to spend a few days at the McDill AFB marina, so we'll pass right by St Pete - My son & family are stationed at McDill, so we hope to spend a few days in the area

I'll PM you my phone number - Not sure when we'll be arriving. Likely in ten days or so

Don
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Beta Don »

smacksman wrote:I made the mistake of listening to other old salts and crossed the 'armpit' Steinhatchee/Carabelle overnight. Luckily I was able to spot the hundreds of crab pots as the sun went down. This time I will do it in daylight to be able to see the pots. Its only 80 something miles so easily done in daylight, weather willing.
Not 'easily done' in daylight, at least not at this time of year Roger. You probably had about 13 hours of daylight when you made the crossing - Now in February, we'll have exactly 11. I'm thinking of anchoring behind Dog Island so as to shorten the run by 10 miles or so. The crab pots are a real problem, no doubt!
Are you writing a blog or Youtube channel?
Nope - Not discussing it anywhere but here. I suppose I should open a thread in the 'Albin Cruising' forum, so as not to clutter things up here. If all goes well, we'll be at this for several months . . . . or at least until Carolyn throws me off the boat! :lol:

Don
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Don, I don't think it would clutter things up at all. It'd do a lot of good and be a real morale builder for the rest of the guys working and dreaming of the same. Fair winds. Ben
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smacksman »

Don, I've just checked my ships log and for what it's worth it took me an hour from picking up the hook in Steinhatchee to the haven buoy outside. Then three hours later it was sunset and I was 20 miles from the haven buoy outside Dog Island so throttled back as I was way too early for dawn to make the passage through into St George Sound. If I had kept on at 7 mph it would have been about 6 hours haven buoy to haven buoy.
As it was blowing old boots by the time I arrived and the seas horrid I didn't have the courage to drive in past the unlit buoys to anchor behind Dog Island, but I was tempted. Dawn was very late with the overcast skies and even at first light it was hard to keep the unlit buoys visual as they dropped into troughs. So in the end I did the right thing waiting in sea room and taking the punishment. It was then another hour and a half from the Dog Island haven buoy to anchor in Carrabelle.
Though you have 11 hours sunrise/sunset you can add at least another hour each end for pre-dawn and apres sunset in fair weather. The run in to Steinhatchee is straight and well lit so easy to navigate at last light or even in the dark in fair weather.
The sea of crab pots were two to three hours out of Steinhatchee on the rhumb line to Dog Island. 8 inch polystyrene balls coloured dark grey, green with sea growth and stretching as far as the eye could see in all directions. No pattern. Nightmare! Would they be seasonal and removed sometimes?
You've already proved Beta Carina can do 75 miles days so with fair weather you will cross easily.
Roger.
ps. Sorry to Carolyn for spelling her name wrongly earlier.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Beta Don »

Roger,

If you don't mind an overnight, the quick way back it to leave from Apalach via Government Cut and then make a run to Crystal River or Tarpon Springs. Another plus is, free dockage (complete with electricity) in the Apalach City Marina. You can leave around 4 PM and you won't have to worry about making landfall in the dark . . . . plus, it sounds like you'll encounter fewer crab pots. I don't think they're seasonal - I suspect half of them are probably abandoned

Don
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”