• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Finally! - In the water and moving

Albin's "power cruisers"
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sold in New Orleans

Re: Finally! - In the water and moving

Post by smacksman »

Don, I agree. When going south/east you would be leaving in good weather and there are lots of places to tuck in the other side if the weather turns nasty.
Heading west as I was, Government Cut is not recommended in rough weather.
Good luck.
1983 Albin 27fc 'Free State' with Lehman 4D61- now sold.
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

I agree with Tego
Please post here when ever you can , that what this is for!
How great that it's going so well for you so far.
Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

Keep posting here Don. It's where we poor land locked fixer uppers get inspiration!
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Been awhile since I could get logged on, so here's a quick update

We spent a week in Apalachicola waiting on a weather window to cross. We met up with another Mississippi couple cruising on a 40' Marine Trader and they wanted company for a night crossing, so we abandoned our plans for a daylight crossing to Steinhatchee and we did an overnight to Cedar Key. The predicted weather was perfect and there was no wind to speak of, but the Gulf was still a bit angry when we went out about 5 PM. We bounced around pretty good on irregular 4 footers which didn't subside until 9 or 10 PM. After midnight, the Gulf was as smooth as I've ever seen it

Made the 110 miles into Cedar Key by about 10 AM, took a nap and explored town & got some dinner. Left the next morning for Crystal River where we checked out the manatees. Planned to stay 2 nights and move on, but that big weather front that slammed the eastern half of the country blew through and it was 3 more days before things calmed down enough to move on

Made it into Tarpon Springs, bought some sponges, had some great Greek (and Italian) food and met up with Rick Mummi. He offered to let us use his slip in St Pete, so after a couple days we moved on there - Boy does he have some nice digs there in St Pete!! His slip is 100 yards from Bayshore Drive and all the nightlife of downtown St Pete

Moved the 8 miles across the Bay to the MacDill AFB marina this morning so we can spend some time with the grandkids. Plan to move on south this coming Monday . . . . though it's really tempting to go back to St Pete and catch that Indy Car race next weekend!

Most things are working pretty well so far - 85 engine hours from Biloxi to Tampa Bay and we've burned . . . . 85 gallons of diesel - Right at 6.75 MPG

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smacksman »

How is the dinghy hoist working, Don?
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Beta Don »

We changed dinghys at the last minute - Literally the day before we left. I still haven't fabricated the attachment points for the dinghy lift, so I've been towing this one so far. I bought the hardware I'll need today, so when I get it installed, we'll give the lift a try and see what happens

The new dinghy is a West Marine 'Classic Dinghy' and it's 10 feet long and 4 feet wide. We really like it. It's very stable getting in and out and it tows beautifully. We've towed it through some pretty rough seas with the 5 HP outboard clamped on it and it sheds water like a ducks back. 110 miles across the Gulf in some pretty rough seas and I swear when we anchored at Cedar Key the next morning, there was less than a quart of water in it - I mopped it up with a sponge. The little 5 moves it along well even with two of us and a couple 5 gallon water jugs. Not quite a full plane, but fast enough to get you where you need to go. I do think it slows me down about half a knot though. Will know for sure when we get it up on the roof

Don
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

Don: I thought you were keys bound? I see you in the ditch heading to Okechobee. Don't forget the big salvage yard in Ft. Pierce. Supposedly much bigger than Don's in Largo. Tego just passed through there I believe.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Beta Don »

Rick,

No - We're still headed for the Keys. The Wx won't be suitable until at least Sunday so we thought we would check out the Ft Myers City Marina we'd heard so much about. It's similar in many ways to your St Pete Marina in that it's only a 2 or 3 block walk to 'what's happening' in Ft Myers. Really nice marina with a ships store that reminds you of a mini West Marine - Hundreds of items at better prices than West actually

We'll stay here 2 or 3 days and then go back down the river and take a mooring off Estero Island for a day or two before heading south. We met up again with our companions from the Gulf crossing yesterday and they *are* heading across the lake . . . . to take the long way around by heading south through Ft Lauderdale and Miami to reach the keys??

They are on this 40' Marine Trader and they don't care for the latest weather forecast . . . . but they don't want to stay put until it improves either. I can't wait to hear their report on the Lake Okeechobee crossing with the winds forecasted for the next couple of days! They *tried* leaving Crystal River a day before we did, but when we headed out the next day, they were at the mouth of the river waiting on us - They had gone a few miles out in the Gulf and came back in and anchored :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Beta Don »

OK - As promised, I'm going to *try* to do better about posting pictures here :D
P1000101A.jpg
P1000122A.jpg
P1000133A.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Beta Don »

An abused and unloved A27. In addition this damage, this boat is missing about 8 or 10 feet of the rub-rail on each side . . . . and the fiberglass lip where the deck joint is riveted is gone in several places too. A friend of the owners told me he never uses it, but just can't bring himself to sell it. For those of you restoring an A27, be glad your project doesn't include half of what this boat needs!
P1000136A.jpg
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Beta Don »

A view of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge from inside the Bay. It's 430 feet tall and has a clearance of 193 feet. The center span is 1200 feet long!
P1000145A.jpg
A view from outside, after we went under it. I take a photo of this bridge every time I transit the area, but this is the best view yet . . . . and Carolyn took the picture! :D
P1000149A.jpg
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi Don looks like you are having fun. I have been wondering have opened up your boat to see the what speed you can get out of it? Or is it better to just have a small motor?
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Beta Don »

I did briefly during sea trials, though we had loaded the boat up so much at home on the trailer before we took it to the boatyard it was already 11,000 pounds . . . . and increasing :!:

I get 3 knots @ 1,000, right at 6 @ 2,000, 6.5 @ 2150 or 2200, *about* 8 @ 3,000 and 9.5 or a tad more @ 3500 - Didn't hold it there long enough to get an accurate reading as I only had a few hours on the engine

What engine would best suit your needs depends on how you want to use the boat, I think. I recall reading here long ago about someone who repowered with an 88 HP Yanmar and he could get it up and planning at about 11 knots IIRC - I suspect that was a lightly loaded boat. For me, the 100 HP engine I bought was just a good price on a completely rebuilt motor . . . . I was shopping for a 75 HP Yanmar at the time - I like Yanmars over most all other brands because you can get virtually any part for one in 24 hours or less pretty much anywhere you travel

For hull speed long distance cruising I think 50 HP would probably be fine. For that 2% of the time you're fighting adverse conditions - Bad seas or strong currents, I think 75 HP would be welcome. If I had the wisdom to buy a later model boat with the 78 HP Nissan 6 cylinder, I think I would probably have been happier all around. I love my Yanmar, but it was a spendy *and time consuming* proposition (because I did everything myself to save $$$) getting her repowered

Don
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smacksman »

What is your Yanmar's 'sweet spot' Don? I found that my 4D61 is smooth and effortless at 2400 rpm and will run all day at that. I like my Lehman but I would also prefer a Yanmar.
The Albins are a semi-displacement hull form and the extra power and fuel use to get them planing is a lot. Ok I suppose if you dash out to fish for a while but 7 to 8 knots day in, day out cruising is easier on the nerves I think. It also gives you time to see deadheads and crab pots!
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Beta Don »

It has a half dozen virtually vibration-less 'spots' between 2100 and 2500 Roger. Pick your speed and carefully adjust the throttle a few RPM's up or down to one of those places where it's smooth as silk. Day before yesterday I ran it at a steady 2500 for about 5 hours for the first time. Gave me an extra 3/4 knot or so from my usual 2300. No idea (yet) what effect it'll have on fuel economy, but I filled in Apalach for just $1.50 per gallon, so I guess it's not terribly important these days, is it?

Don
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”