• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

How to replace windows on an A25

Albin's "power cruisers"
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

How to replace windows on an A25

Post by kerrye »

I'm replacing the fore and aft plexiglass windows on my A25. Did the aft one today. I learned some things so I thought I'd write them down before I forget. I have some pictures I'll post later. You need the following tools: The locking strip tool, the 90 degree bent pointy tool for window installation, a set of bicycle tire irons, utility knife for cutting the weatherstripping and a jig saw with a fairly high count blade for cutting the plexiglass.

The weatherstripping from Perfect fit is slightly thicker top to bottom than the stuff which was on my boat (don't know if it was original--probably). This means you have to cut the new window slightly smaller than the original to fit in the slightly smaller space.

When installing the new weatherstripping on to the boat, the hardest place to install it is at the ends. Install it on the top and bottom near the ends before putting it on the ends--it makes the job much easier if the top and bottom are in place. Push it towards the ends from the installed top and bottom section.

The most important thing I learned which was not mentioned in any of the online tutorials I read or watched for installing the locking strip. You need to push the tool with your dominant hand and feed the locking strip into the tool/weatherstripping with the other hand. Since I'm right handed, this means I needed to work from right to left. It also means that if you use one continuous piece of locking strip, you'll have to switch hands halfway thru. I found this very awkward. I think it's better to use two separate pieces of locking strip so almost all the installation can be done working right to left (for a right handed person). The ends are the hardest place to get the locking strip installed since the rubber is in tight compression there. I used the 90 degree tool mostly on the ends. Ideally I think it's best to start in the upper right corner just before the end turn. Work downwards around the end and then right to left across the bottom and up the other end and just around the corner. Then return to the starting place and begin a second piece of locking strip where you started the first and work right to left across the top.

It took me most of that first window to figure this stuff out. Perhaps it is obvious to most people. It wasn't to me. When I had to start working left to right I ended up just using the 90 degree tool and my fingers because I didn't have the fine tool control pushing the locking strip installation tool with my left hand.

I took me about 4 hours to do the first window which included removing the old window (use the bike tire irons), driving to the plastic store to buy the plexiglass, marking and cutting the plexiglass and then installing it. I'm guessing I can almost cut that in half for the second window since I've learned some tricks now.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: How to replace windows on an A25

Post by kerrye »

Some pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

These are the specialty tools. Tire irons came out of my bike tool bag.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QL4 ... ge_o00_s00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CO ... ge_o01_s00
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

This thread has the info on the correct window rubber and where to buy it.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Installed the front window today. Took me just as long. It's more of a challenge for one person since the window is bigger. Learned something else important. I had been using the smallest foot on the locking strip installation tool. I had tried the second smallest size but it seemed very hard to get it in the groove. But today I bent the smallest foot by pushing on it. (don't do that) So I had to resort to the second smallest foot. It's the right one. It's hard to get it in the groove but once in, the locking strip inserts much easier than with the smallest foot. Remember to use tons of lubricant--I used lots of dawn dish soap with some water in a spray bottle. Use way more than you think you need. It makes thing much easier.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Very interesting! That's on my future project list too, but probably not this year. Mine look about as "crazed" as your old ones, but I can live with them another year. I think your description will make a lot more sense when I refer back to it while actually tackling the job. I think I did save the link on where to get the weatherstripping and will save the amazon links on where to get the tools. Half of any job is having the right tools. Thanks again for posting this. It's what AOG is all about.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Not sure what happened to the link to the thread with the rubber info so here it is again.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8952

by the way, the plexi cost $20 for the back window and $30 for the front window. Took the old windows in and they sold me pieces which I then cut to shape.
Sea Symphony
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Neyland Pembrokeshire

Post by Sea Symphony »

Thanks for the thread - its on my list for sometime soon - possibly next winter. Not looking forward to it but needs must!
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

the plexi cost $20 for the back window and $30 for the front window. Took the old windows in and they sold me pieces which I then cut to shape.
We have a good source for plastics here in Phoenix too.

http://www.piedmontplastics.com/boat-windshields/

I still have your link to the weatherstipping source from your earlier thread.

Well, it's off to the lake this afternoon for another sailing club raft up. Winter such as it is here is pretty much over. High of 88 degrees expected for today. Too close & too soon for 90s & 100s that are just around the corner. At this rate we'll see our first 100 degree day in April if not sooner.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I had to buy 50 feet of the rubber seal and locking strip. Used about 20 ft for back and front windows. Got 30ft left. If someone is planning to do the work, I'll sell the remaining material and the locking strip installation tool for $60, and $10 shipping which is half the price I paid. It doesn't include the 90 degree pointy installation tool since I can imagine other uses for that tool.
tentative
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Garcon Point, FL

Post by tentative »

Kerrye,
Do you still have the rubber "gimp" and tools for sale?
Please reply to: tentative
Thax
Dave Robinson
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Kerry already sold his supply of extra rubber seal & locking strip to me a couple months ago. I haven't tackled the window replacement project yet & likely won't until later in the fall when we get back from our summer cruising and after the torrid Phoenix desert heat finally cools off around late October. But I am going to hang onto the material until I can locate and grab hold of that ever elusive "round tuit'.
round tuit.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”