• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 woodwork stain color

Albin's "power cruisers"
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

A25 woodwork stain color

Post by kerrye »

I've been using Minwax Red Chestnut 232 on mine. It's a pretty close match. Close enough that rubbing a little stain into a scratch makes it disappear without doing anything else.
Northern Spy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Belhaven N.C.

Re: A25 woodwork stain color

Post by Northern Spy »

20160302_184739.jpg
Thanks for the tip, I'll try some on mine soon and report the results. I did just refinish the cleats using West Marine cleanera and oil and I also used some oil on th einterior wher it looked parched. Mixed results on the interior, worked great on the cleats.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

How difficult was it to loosen the set screws on the cleats? I have looked at them and considered refinishing but haven't gone any further.
Northern Spy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Northern Spy »

Very easy, someone replaced them with SS screws at some point!
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

And you can get replacement teak bars for those cleats and even complete replacements including the chromed posts from Plastimo. Google search "Plastimo wooden cleats"

http://www.plastimo.com/en/deck-equipme ... leats.html
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Northern Spy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Northern Spy »

I can report that the Minwax Red Chestnut is a pretty good match for most of the wood aboard Sirenia, my 1975 A25. I just have to go over it with some teak oil once its good and dry. Sorry I didn't get more before and after pictures, but in the first image the top shelf piece has been refinshed with just the Minwax stain. The lower piece has not been touched. In the second image, the bulkhead to the left of the footrest has been refinished. The teak footrest didn't come out as well, it was polyurethane-d or something and the bare teak sucked it up like a sponge and got very dark.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

The footrest on mine turned darker also. I think it's because its a different kind of wood.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

DesertAlbin736 wrote:And you can get replacement teak bars for those cleats and even complete replacements including the chromed posts from Plastimo. Google search "Plastimo wooden cleats"

http://www.plastimo.com/en/deck-equipme ... leats.html
I couldn't find the teak dowels for sale by themselves on that site. Did you see them there? I'm looking to replace a couple--the stern ladders. Looks like they are 1 1/8" dowels. Sent an e-mail to a dowel supply company to see if I can find them there. http://www.dowelsondemand.com/contactus.html The other places I found on the net were only selling in huge quantities.
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

Make yourself a dowel plate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z24AminKYUk

And make your own dowels.

Or you can buy on from Lie Nielsen for $55
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I have to buy the teak anyway. Might as well buy it round as square.
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

Send me the teak and I'll pound out some for you. Don't know how much of a hurry you're in, I'll be taking off for about a month's cruise next Monday. If you can wait until June I can get them to you. Just give me the size and I'll check my dowel plate to see if I can make ones that fit.

Jay
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Thanks for the offer. I need to get it done before them. I sent a request for 3' of 1 1/8" teak dowel to this place but it doesn't have an actual online ordering system. http://www.dowelsondemand.com/index.html I may temporarily sand and refinish the existing ones.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I just started sanding the existing ones and they don't look that bad.
Northern Spy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Northern Spy »

Mine were very ugly. I sanded and used west marine teak cleaner. They aren't show quality, but they do the job!
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I got a reply from the company in the link above and it looks like I will be getting dowel from them.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”