• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 woodwork stain color

Albin's "power cruisers"
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: A25 woodwork stain color

Post by kerrye »

Cancelled my order. After I sanded and stained the old ones, they didn't look too bad. Something to be said for sticking with the original.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Teak dowels plus the complete cleats are available from Plastimo. They are listed as "teak and chrome plated bollards".

http://www.plastimo.com/en/deck-equipme ... -9704.html
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

I couldn't find the dowels only on that site.
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

kerrye wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:43 am I got a reply from the company in the link above and it looks like I will be getting dowel from them.
Did you get the teak dowel that fits stock Albin 25 cleats?
Or find source in USA?
I need to redo all 5 of my wood deck cleats and don’t want to have to order from Sweden (shipping $ and time) at $15 each from this company.
https://www.vegamarin.se/en/deck-produc ... stock.html
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

If it is only the dowels you want why not drop by your local hardwood dealer and pick up some 2" thick shorts, either Ipe or teak, and have a local wood worker with a lathe turn some?
Hull No. 1013, 1971
ppaalo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Siuntio

Post by ppaalo »

I'm about finished "polishing" the old cleats, some inspirational pictures:

Before:
cleats_before.png
After some sanding + teak oil + I think maybe 2 layers of varnish (don't seem to have a picture after the final 6 or 7 layers):
cleats_after.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1970 Albin 25, no. 465 "Skumpan"
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Currently, my grab rails are bare. Strongly considering painting them with leftover barrier coat two-part epoxy finished with gray bilgecoat. My mast looked every bit as nice as those cleats sitting in the shop. Then I installed it on the boat. The cleats when we purchased the boat were some kind of plexiglass rods and heavily UV damaged. Fortunately one of them broke under non-critical conditions. I fashioned replacements out of 3/4" pvc pipe and endcaps with 1/2" stainless rod inside. All leftover scrap, except for having to purchase new endcaps. Not particularly pleasing to look at, but also not going anywhere.

Here is a shot showing the bare grabrails and the plywood supports for the dinghy painted as described above.
IMG_1545.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”