• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A 27 balsa cored hull

Albin's "power cruisers"
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Re: A 27 balsa cored hull

Post by sail149 »

Hello joe , thanks for posting these pics . I know it was quite a while ago! I think you have shown that Albin were consistent in what they said about not using core anywhere a thru hull was fitted.
The transom was ‘cored’ with ‘cormat’ this is an interesting product only availble up to 4mm (3/16”) it’s a non woven polyester fabric with micro balloons imbedded. To use you impregnate it with quite a lot of resin and apply behind a laminate. And then glass over. It provides a solid structure with good compression strength ( lots of resin!). The shear strength is quite poor compared to other coring products and it’s heavy but if your not building a super light stiff sailing skiff it’s a good comprimize and it does not rot ever,not ever!
Hope all going well with your project if you see this
Cheers Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Re: A 27 balsa cored hull

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi Warren it’s good to see you are still around. How’s your project coming?

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”