• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 - Engine Room Refit

Albin's "power cruisers"
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Re: A27 - Engine Room Refit

Post by tego »

Same here. I think the later boats like mine had the aft cabin completely enclosed. Ben
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

If someone could take photos similar to what I posted it would be helpful to see how they did it in later models. Thanks
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

Is it possible to see how the panels around footwell in aft berths are attached? What are the covered with? As JT requested can you take a couple of pics from the Lazarette (of the aft enclosure)?
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

A vertical panel (3/8ths ply?) the width of the opening screwed to the end of the bunks would be all you'd need. Slit a pool noodle and put it on the edges of the panel where it contacts the outer hull, the bottom of the seat above and the inside near the center fuel tank and your panel would give yo a near perfect seal - No more air movement possible between the aft cabin and the lazarrette compartments

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

My sides see also open. Can see the drawer sides.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Anyone able to locate the manufacturer/color of the vinyl liner?
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Comparing the fit of the Cummins 4b3.3m to the old Nissan Ld28. This seems like a good fit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Man i would like to do this project. Is there any logic to just redoing the Nissan? There are entire magazines devoted to tuning the 280z... JT: what's the standard engine in an SC? Would you have to raise the cockpit deck to fit the bigger engine? (Ala the SC deck "step")
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

Here is one of the mods I needed to make to fit the Cummins. It involved the placement of the rear motor mounts, had to go up from original position, hoped not to have to do this but needed to get correct angle for shaft alinement. Best case senario is to have the center line of the engine crank shaft parrel to the rear motor mount brackets. Thanks, Mark.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

So are those steel spacers or could you glass in some risers for the aft mounts?
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

The spacers are aluminum, less chance of rust and the 3B is not a real touqueie motor. The problem with the upper mount position is the fact it is inset, the spacers bring the mounts back to where they would be at the lower position. Thanks, Mark.
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

rnummi wrote:Anyone able to locate the manufacturer/color of the vinyl liner?
Richard I just took a piece of the vinyl from one of the rotted coverboards to an upholstery shop, they had samples in a range of colors, found one that was close sorry don't remember any more details
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Thanks Jay. Getting back on topic... JT, are you going to attempt some sort of sound dampening on the naked engine compartment bulkheads?
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Slowly working through a list of items to be fixed before the end of summer. A bunch of little projects have to be completed around the boat before it can be pressure washed inside and then sprayed with white paint inside. Then from there, I will start painting the engine room and bilge.

The list seems like it never ends and every little project is five more steps just to get it completed:

1 Install ceiling battens
-this will be for the Sintra ceiling panels and headliner

2. Close off aft cabin
-important to have the bulkheads in before paint, but may as well design the drawer system similar to Jay's while it's all apart

3. remove engine mounts. *
- completed this weekend. The aft two mounts were seized. The bolts holding the mounts to the engine bed are not lag bolts but regular threaded bolts. On inspection there looks like threaded metal embedded in the fiberglass engine beds and ur looks aluminum maybe. The engine mounts appear cast aluminum from the destruction I caused with the grinder. Grinder was the only way to get them off after an hour of messing about.

4. Install thru-hulls
- just need to seal these in place and may as well do scuppers as well

5. check hull-deck joint
- originally planned to skip this, but it makes sense to take a look at it now.

6. Repair cockpit deck& engine hatch
- want to reduce flexing along the center of the engine hatch which I think translates to beefing up the edges of the hatch opening.

7. Install rub strake backing block
-I have a plan for improving the rubbing strake on the aft quarter sides, more to come

8. Mount chain plates *
Backing blocks in place and rigging designed, more to follow under A27 mast thread

9. Fix bow eye backing
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

JT
Re:5. check hull-deck joint
- originally planned to skip this, but it makes sense to take a look at it now.

If your hull to deck joint is exposed inside after all your destruction I would fill the groove in the deck from the toe rail and put 2-3 layers of fiberglass across the inside of the joint. This would be a once and for all fix for the joint.
It's a hard job, I used to do it on production boats and on 2 boats of my own but it makes a great difference. Unfortunatly the fiberglass liner might be in the way.
Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”