• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 - Engine Room Refit

Albin's "power cruisers"
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sold in New Orleans

Re: A27 - Engine Room Refit

Post by smacksman »

Yes, and having cut the pins to length the exposed ends snag on your shirt every time you grovel in the engine room! Like cable ties trimmed ends will open you up like a scapal! And stainless pop rivets with mild steel mandrils.
A bit late for you but the best way I found was to have timber battens bonded on to the fibreglass surfaces; then glue on the insulation; then ss screw through the peg board into the timber battens using ss penny washers to spread the load over the peg board.
1983 Albin 27fc 'Free State' with Lehman 4D61- now sold.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

smacksman wrote:On one engine room re-build I did on a center cockpit yacht I faced the sound proofing material with peg board ( hardboard with rows of 1/8" holes to take hooks to display goods in shops ). Once painted it allowed cables and hoses to to be screwed to it.
That's all of my engine room cover-boards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi JT how did your hatch covers fit? I'm getting ready to do that. I was wondering if the hatches closed. The old sound proofing compressed in the rain gutter. It looked like yours came all the way to the edge of the hatch and would have trouble compressing being two inches thick. I'm doing the bulkheads now.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

Great question!

First let me say I contacted Soundown and they assured me the fittings are stainless. The stainless is magnetic which would indicated its 403 or some such grade. I even put the fittings in water for a while and no rust so that's good to go. Next, turns out the button caps come in 2 sizes, 10g and 12g, and sometimes they get mixed up. Soundown apologized and sent me the correct ones and extra hardware (because I ran out) all free of charge. Great service!

Regarding the hatches fitting. I haven't put them in completed form on the boat yet. But I was worried about the same thing, wondering if the barrier material would get squashed, or not fit, or tear from the way the hatches closed. So I dry fitted everything beforehand and took pictures. The way the hatches fit on the deck I see no problem running the the barrier material to the inside of the hatch lip. It's the hatch lip that sits on the deck and there's plenty of room for barrier material. Just to be sure I double taped my edges for antichaffe. I even marked with a black pen how far inwards you'd have to go to even avoid the deck. It's not feasible in my opinion. So I ran the material right to the edges. You will want that to plug the gap and keep the sound in. The material compresses quite a bit so there will be plenty of room. See the photos below. Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Incidentally on my original material it compressed at the rain gutter and worked fine. But it tore over time primarily because the barrier material was taped to the hatch over the hatch edges. It couldn't stretch over time and this caused a problem eventually. By making a barrier panel self-sealed inside the hatch edge this problem is solved I think. I wouldn't take the material over the hatch edge. Let the barrier edges be sealed within the hatch edges.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

Thanks JT I just got my hatch covers off tonight and all cleaned up. I'll reinstall them like you did and mark. The old insulation came off in one piece. Thanks for the help
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smacksman »

On my old 27FC I noticed quite a lot of noise came up through the cable access hole below the steering wheel. Maybe some insulation stuffed in the hole would cure that?
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

I had one of these in the hole you're referring to. It kept a nice seal. The down side is it's a rubber boot the goes over a non-ferrous metal ring that screws to the deck or bulkhead. Of course it rusts and desintergrates and was a freaking nightmare to try to remove, sharp jagged edges and all.

I'm looking for an all plastic replacement like this. https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Engine-Ru ... B00JBJXL7U
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

I just ordered some great stuff stone and pond polyurethane spray foam. I'm going to foam all the edges and holes in the engine room. Then install the soundown. It doesn't absorb water. Figured it can't hurt. I have gone this far why stop now. As I said before the more I read the more confused I get
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smacksman »

I hope you have used spray poleurethane foam before. I not I strongly recommend you try a bit off boat first. It is amazing stuff!
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Post by TorreyWP »

JT, looking great in the engine room!

Have you gotten any further selecting the repower set up you plan to put in there? Ive been thinking more and more seriously about a full engine room refit, this thread is inspiring and the heart of the beast isn't getting any younger. I saw a post of yours on another site, i think we are looking in the same places for info. Have you looked at/joined BoatDiesel.com? I have not pulled the trigger yet, but it looks to be a valuable resource.

Mark D's set up with the Cummins 4B is tempting, I drool looking at the TAD website.
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

So I signed up for BoatDiesel, paid the fee and was utterly disappointed. I signed up hoping to find a valuable source of info on rebuilding the Nissan Ld28. And there was purported to be a detailed Albin 27 repowering article that I thought would be worth the sign up fee.

Boy was I wrong. There was virtually no info on the Nissan Ld28. The repowering article was terrible. It was little more than "I needed a repowering and paid someone 15k+ to drop in a Yanmar for me." I will give you a copy. Bah! I asked for my money back.

My research on the Nissan Ld28 caused me to give up on rebuilding it. Mark suffered the same fate and chose the Cummins. I'm waffling between the Cummins 4b3.3m and Beta 38.

The more I think about it and my refit, recently the more I lean towards the Beta 38. My research on the A27 and the HP needed to get the boat to perform various ways is at odds with the general opinions here. And every time I bring it up apples get mixed with oranges. People try to argue resale value, designers intent, imaginary usage data, outrunning thunderstorms, just to justify large heavy engines in a boat designed to go hull speed efficiently. I think these arguments are vox populi.

I question the benefit if the Cummins. Does the extra hp do any good. Mark reports his boat rides bow high at WOT and he gets 9knt max. I can supposedly get 8knts with the Beta in same situation. And if I can't, so what. I can't get 10 knots, very few people ever get 10knt+. Let's be honest. You don't burn >1 gallon of fuel like that. This boat is not built to run 10-14knots regularly. I've actually taken my boat entirely apart and crawled into every corner. Albin was doing some very creative marketing.

Both these engines burn same fuel at our hull speed, Beta probably less. The Beta weighs less, its quieter, its smaller, it's more narrow, not as high, and has some great Beta features. As I redo my engine room, I think small would be better. The Beta is 10" shorter and 6" narrower. Imagine that space. Theres Beta 38s in boats configured like ours in Europe for canal and coastal cruising. With the Beta you've repowering tech help, warranty, and service a phone call away. They do your engine mount mockup for you. There's not much diff in price between the two. With the Cummins you are very much on you're own.

There's just not a lot of other options, and the price is what it is I guess.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Joe, I concur on the Beta. I've done a lot of research on this and if I do have to repower in the future, I can't think of a better engine. I don't need to outrun any hurricanes and I'd love the extra room in my ER. I'm going to have to replace the timing belt in the near future and there's NO access to work on the front of the Nissan. As long as my current engine is good (and it runs like a swiss watch), I'll keep it, but if it starts to go, I'm going with the Beta. Ben
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Ben, that's exactly what I'm thinking. The room to maneuver and do maintenance in the ER would be more valuable than 1 knot. The Beta is also 200lbs lighter.

Now you tell me, is worth $400 for a white paint job?
Ouch
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

I think you'll be happy with the Beta 38 Joe - It sounds like you have very reasonable expectations and 38 Hp will more than meet those. You only *need* 20 to 25 Hp to move the boat at hull speed under most conditions - 6.5 knots is the sweet spot for economy. 20 Hp equates to 1 GPH of fuel burn and we averaged a little more than 1 gallon over 1,000 hours on our trip

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”