• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 Aft Cabin Remodel

Albin's "power cruisers"
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

A27 Aft Cabin Remodel

Post by JT48348 »

I'm looking for photos of the A27 aft cabin, specifically photos looking forward on either side bunk for post 1986 models. I want to enclose the cabin from the lazarettes and fuel tank. The newest A27s have enclosed cabins and I'd like to see how it was done at the factory. Thanks
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Re: A27 Aft Cabin Remodel

Post by Jay Knoll »

IMG_4855.JPG
Joe

Here are some images, there is just a bulkhead between the cockpit locker and the foot of the berth, not to difficult to layout
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Thanks Jay. That's just what I needed. So correct me if I'm wrong.

Looks like the bulkhead with the drawers under the hatchway comes to the same height as the bunk and is finished as a flush counter. The sides of that countertop rise verticle to meet the cockpit floor and the fwd hatch bulkhead (upper).

I've crafted a bulkhead that separates the lockers from each bunk. Now want to tie that in with sides. Looks like the way to do that is to do something like your countertop bulkhead which also adds drawers.

Any chance you can pull a drawer and photo the inside cavity so I can see what's going on there?
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

JT48348 wrote:Thanks Jay. That's just what I needed. So correct me if I'm wrong.

Looks like the bulkhead with the drawers under the hatchway comes to the same height as the bunk and is finished as a flush counter. The sides of that countertop rise verticle to meet the cockpit floor and the fwd hatch bulkhead (upper).
Joe, the bulkhead with the drawers is the same height as the bunk WITH the cushion on it,

I've crafted a bulkhead that separates the lockers from each bunk. Now want to tie that in with sides. Looks like the way to do that is to do something like your countertop bulkhead which also adds drawers.

Any chance you can pull a drawer and photo the inside cavity so I can see what's going on there?
Joe I built "U" shaped boxes to attach the drawer slides and fastened them to the overhead/sole as appropriate for the drawer location. Can't really remember details other than it was a tough job getting the things in place.
IMG_4862.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

That's a pretty thick bulkhead where the drawer slides in. If i removed the drawer assembly mine's naked all the way to fuel tank. What did you use for the "cabinet" to slide drawers into? Anyone want to walk me through template design? I'm chasing JT with the aft cabin bulkhead project. Cardboard? You cut rough template take it inside and trim I fit?
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

Richard
You're looking at the drawer and the U shaped framework (which is white) to which I attached the drawer slides. The U shaped framework was screwed to the sole behind the bulkhead. I slide them in place thru the opening under the companionway step. It is pretty much a wood butcher project, figure out the size of the drawer build it and make the supporting framework, with the extension slides. Put the assembly in place but a little forward of the bulkhead. pull the drawer out and use it to make a few locating marks on the bulkhead. remove the assembly take a piece of scrap wood that you've cut which is the size of the drawer front (not the false front but the actual one) line that up with the locating marks to get the full layout. drill holes in the corners go around to the front of the bulkhead and cut an opening slightly larger than the drawer. put the assembly back in place, screw it to the sole. Attach the false drawer face to the drawer ( it is larger to cover the gap in the bulkhead) put drawer into the slide and Bob's your uncle.

I hope this is clear, it is late and I'm not keen on doing a lot of editing

Jay
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

Thanks mucho.... very clear. As soon as I address my scuppers (or as I refer to them: Niagra and Victoria Falls) I'll hop on this project.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Painting the aft cabin. This is the primer coat.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

New floor hatch for stuffing box/bilge access. Hatch from TH Marine SureSeal 30"x13".
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Photos under cockpit with access to bilge and shaft flange. I plan to put a piece of 3/8" hdpe or PVC foam board over the wacky hole as a semi-permanent hatch. The fuel tank rests in that space.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

I've been toying with the idea of how to make the aft cabin more hospitable and I came up with the idea of adding his and her hatches to the cabin roof. This adds light and makes it much less claustrophobic. Because I'm building a custom hardtop that will allow the cockpit to entirely closed, there's no worry about leaks. These hatches are the Bowmar's extruded aluminum one so you can even walk on them

The best part, I got the hatches for $60 for the pair with trim rings and screens.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Cool! What a bargain! You do find some real deals, for sure

Did you install them so when they're open, they catch the breeze and dump it down into the aft cabin? No doubt you'll really appreciate that on hot stuffy nights - It is a small space when things get hot and sticky

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Right now they're just set in place for that very reason. What's the concensus on the direction they should open. Facing fore? Facing aft? One each way?
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I'd be thinking one each way. Gives you some options when the breeze is blowing or if there's a little bit of rain. Plus the whole inlet/outlet air exchange thing. Otherwise I'd go both facing aft to avoid any spray coming in if open while underway.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

I love it! I would face both forward, any spray that far back and you have bigger troubles!
BUT the big advantage I see is you can eliminate the stupid useless opening leak prone ports on the side and make them non opening or even replace entirely with fixed one , or combine them to into one large non opening window.
Lots of possibilities.
Defiantly an idea worth stealing.......
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”