• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

MD17C in A25

Albin's "power cruisers"
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: MD17C in A25

Post by WillieC »

Installed spring height checks out. I was able to use a digital caliper and a piece of tool steel for a straight edge to take the measurements. Basically, you assemble the valve spring retainer and clips without the spring in place and take several readings. I would post pictures but am limited to two hands. I need a GoPro! Everything was within .008". I have read one can live with .020". All new valves was the main help. That and judicious grinding of seats by the mechanic.
On to fresh paint!
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

This will be your new mantra...
nosmoking.jpg
:wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

NOSMO
KING!

You got that right! For those of you still following this drivel...it was none other than DA following us into Nanaimo who told me I shouldn't smoke at my age. My feelings were hurt and I really didn't want to hear that, but it was showing on the dipstick and I had fairly massive blow-by. So much for all my hard work, but I knew I had marginal parts and did not want to fork over the big bucks, thinking if I just installed new rings and hone and dressed up the valves, we'd be good! Nope. Thus, I had no choice so I tore it down in the dead of winter and am finally putting her back together.

For the record, the MD17C ran like a top for some 800 miles last summer on our run up into BC. Quite a testament to the old VP engines. With all new everything from the wrist pins up (aka gudgeon pins) she may run another 800 miles. And hopefully kick the smoking habit.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

For the record, the MD17C ran like a top for some 800 miles last summer on our run up into BC.
Arrrggghh, and a memorable trip that were for sure by thunder!

WillieC & a double rainbow in Grace Harbour, Desolation Sound, B.C Canada July 1, 2018
DSCN4194.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

The new engine runs! And well! Now to put the boat back together and get out there.
Long story, short summary.

This is our first boat, she came with a dying MD3B and a spare MD17C sitting in a barn up in Anacortes. When I found out the 3B was toast, which took us newbies a while, having heard how robust diesel engines are, I hunted down the 17C. Did a poor man's rebuild on it a couple years back and then took it to Desolation Sound last summer for some 800 miles on the water. Desert Albin pointed out to me that she had taken to smoking behind our backs. Who gets to see their boat from behind for so many hours and days, so many thanks to Steve and Helen for watching out for us. Still it ran superbly.

Last winter I hunted down aftermarket pistons and cylinders (at about a third the price of VP) and was pleasantly surprised to find out they were made in Sweden. Upon teardown, I found a substantial amount of carbon gunk on the guide side of the valves, indicative of loose guides, worn stems and the added complication of massive crankcase blowby, which I tried to skirt, noted in other posts. SO, I talked to the guy who did my clean-up grind last year and told him I wanted to bring the heads back to like new condition and he had me go ahead and order the parts. Not cheap, but for you guys burning a gallon of fuel per knot per hour...peanuts. The machinist also milled my water jackets to bring the compression ratio back to original.

So, today, having got all my parts back together a week ago Friday, I was down to bleeding fuel lines and burping the antifreeze side of the HX. As all the fuel lines had drained and I also replaced both fuel filters, I was expecting a bit of a chore getting all the air out of the system. Not so at all. I knew I would have a bit of a crank but it wasn't much more than five seconds and she fired, never stuttered, never died and idled right down as if she had just been stirred from a pleasant winter slumber! The raw water pump picked right up where it left off and I was left with snugging a few fittings and hose clamps and she's ready to head back to Desolation Sound! Well at least Pleasant Harbor.

Moral of the story is these old beasts can be reworked, but I was able to do almost all of it myself saving a pile of money. And it is still a 45 year old engine. BUT, do the work by the book. If the book says max ring side wear is .003", don't go to Montana and buy an engine with .008 or worse sideplay just because the parts were better than the crap you had on hand. Buy. New. Parts. However, the nice thing about doing the second rebuild so soon after the first is that it all comes apart fairly easily and you only have a little touch up painting to do. I expect many relatively trouble-free years out of this engine. But I will be watching it like a hawk.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Glad to hear you have successfully restored your engine. It is now probably in “better than new” condition. You should have a viewing charge so folks can admire such a fine looking antique - I’m talking about the engine here. I am sure you will feel more comfortable knowing you are cruising with a truly well maintained engine. You may find it takes about 100 hours to fully bed in the rings before everything settles down.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Why didn't I take a picture before I closed it up and all the little leaks showed up? I was busy.

In the grand scheme...it is a boat. It has provided us with untold pleasure and pain and taught me a lot about myself. Not all pleasant. May we live to enjoy it, see new places and old, make new friends and rekindle older before we all return to dust and the WillieC becomes somebody else's project providing convenient cover to evade the truth of the fragility of our existence.

Today I paint the top. Next week we launch on a favorable tide. Don't forget to put the keel plug in.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”