• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

MD17C in A25

Albin's "power cruisers"
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: MD17C in A25

Post by WillieC »

Finishing up bottom paint and engine alignment today. With that huge rubber baby buggy bumper shaft coupling, that ran for years almost 1/4" out of alignment and didn't destroy the rubber, I am not so sure I need to spend a whole lot of time on this part of the project. The closer to zero, the better, especially with my McGyver inner/upper shaft bearing helping to center the shaft.

I'm racing against the arrival of the prop, hopefully by Friday. My biggest hiccup is the transmission cable. The old RB transmission used a big old shepherds crook linkage that connected to the shift cable that ran just along the starter (portside). The cable attached to the linkage from the front. The newer (and 2" longer, to answer your question, Steve) MS transmission has a puny little pot metal linkage that typically has the shift cable loop around and attach from the rear end of the world. I don't know the proper names for any of these cables, Telocaster or Stratocaster or something like that, but they are not the same animal, so more jerry-riggin to follow.

BTW, my cable housing, shift and throttle are not interlocked in anyway. Maybe something is busted in there, no surprise there, but we are fully trained, the Starfleet Commander and I. Subject to periodic "refresher courses" on the water accompanied by the requisite blue air discourse that always scores me points, bigly.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

"The old RB transmission used a big old shepherds crook linkage that connected to the shift cable that ran just along the starter (portside). The cable attached to the linkage from the front. The newer (and 2" longer, to answer your question, Steve) MS transmission has a puny little pot metal linkage that typically has the shift cable loop around and attach from the rear end of the world. I don't know the proper names for any of these cables, Telocaster or Stratocaster or something like that, but they are not the same animal, so more jerry-riggin to follow."

"Well, it just goes to show you, it's always something — if it ain't one thing, it's another."

Roseanne Roseannadanna
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

Bless you for bringing back Roseanne!
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Details, details. The super duper rubber baby buggy bumper coupling will not work on the MS transmission, so I'm getting a new flex coupling. This may also require shortening the shaft. Apparently my 1.5" forward shift wasn't quite enough. Ah well.

As to the shift linkage. Where does one get that kind of stuff? I'm thinking bell cranks, small jack shafts, ball joint connectors. The parts and pieces for exotic carburetor assemblies. The MS transmission shifts quite easily, wholly different from the old RB. You needed that big old shepherd's crook and a foot of leverage to change gears. Not so the MS. Still plugging away.

Dialed the alignment to .002-.003" at the edge of the 4" circle. We'll see how much it changes when I splash it. Not bad for having to use shims on it. Still, I'm voting for the screw levelers in my next lifetime.

Gilda Radner. One of the greats gone way too soon.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Well, I hope that doesn't set you too far back. Hopefully if you can't make it by Memorial Day, then let's hope you can splash in time for the PNW rendezvous.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Update. Ready to splash, waiting for perfect weather and tides and still a few details to attend to.

To wit: How to access the belt on the sheave that extends into the cabin?
IMG_0886.JPG
IMG_0887.JPG
IMG_0888.JPG
IMG_0889.JPG
IMG_0890.JPG
IMG_0891.JPG
IMG_0893.JPG
IMG_0894.JPG
IMG_0895.JPG
IMG_0896.JPG
IMG_0897.JPG
IMG_0898.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

Good to know!
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Congrats on the impending splash!! As someone who had his boat sitting on the trailer for about ten years, I know how big a day this is for you!

From your pictures, it looks like maybe your alternator belt might be one size too narrow for the width of your pulleys, both on the alternator, but especially the one on the engine - The belt is sitting very deep in the groove. Make sure the bottom of the belt isn't touching the bottom of the pulley groove - All of the 'traction' comes from the sides of the belt against the sides of the pulley grooves. If the belt touches the bottom of the groove, it will slip. A 'wrapped' belt is usually a bit wider and will last lots longer

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Thanks, Don. I noted your earlier comments about the belts and double checked. There is plenty of room on both sheaves, but I will keep an eye on it. Not really sure how much hp the centrifugal pump needs. The belt you see is the original one and I have a new green one for back-up. Allegedly for higher hp requirements. I went this route because the double stack pumps are getting harder and more expensive to repair or replace. Everything is a bit of an experiment with an eye to increased dependability. Glad for testing in the driveway as I found a small raw-water leak at a transmission hose. I much prefer freshwater sloshing around the engine pan rather than saltwater.

Rudder, new prop, zincs, new cutlass all good to go. While I was at it, I removed, disassembled, cleaned and re-lubed the steering knuckle fitting at the tiller arm. I am sure it never got a second look, like everything else on the boat. Checking the lock to lock at the wheel, I noticed it was loose. Sure enough, finger tight. 15/16" sockets are hard to come by, but they found enough tools to install a new wood steering wheel hub cap.

10 years on a trailer!? Not sure I have enough time left for that! Thanks again, Don, for all your good advice and moral support.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Awesome! Congrats on a job well done! We're just back from a 6 day camping trip in the mountains out of cell range, and what a nice surprise to find your latest upon returning home and checking in with AOG . My, that sure is a tight fit! Literally no room to spare. Ha ha, I like the Mr. Clean bottle as a coolant expansion overflow tank. Also interesting in the design changes between the early models like ours & the later DeLuxe models regarding the engine box. Apparently Albin did away with the swinging cabin bulkhead panel thing (which precludes having any shelving between the cabin door and the head) as seen in the 1970-?? production boats in contrast to the later semi-displacement hull boats. Also, with the early 1971 vintage boats the prop shaft goes through a hole in the back end of the engine pan, not an open notch like yours. Which is what's fascinating about how much difference one can find between individual A25's of different model years.
Aqua Drive.jpg

This reply being 5 days after your latest entry, hopefully by now you're out on the water doing a shakedown run. Looking forward even more now than ever that we can see your boat & do some cruising together next year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

She floats, she starts, she dies a bit. New tranny is picky! The old RB was a bit forgiving if your shifted a little over idle, not this one. SHWANG! thought I busted the R &D coupler. Oh and it is slinging oil at the output end. Did I not mention how unknown this tranny is?

Bigger issue is throttle response. I am sure it has to do with injector pump and/or governator adjustments. We are whupped. I was up at 5 and working by 6 and we dumped her in after 8pm, with the park ranger looking at his watch. Closes at dusk, HA! Closes at 8 even though at the solstice it is still in the gloaming at 10. But he was a decent chap. I am sure my backing of the trailer was worth the price of admission.

So, dialing it in tomorrow, or cutting the grass. I could use a change of scenery.

Anyone with intimate knowledge of adjusting these MD17C engines, feel free to weigh in. I have a message out to another recent rebuilder who had similar issues. Stay tuned. Pictures coming.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Oh that's too bad about the tranny. Oil seal leak is not good news, but hopefully something that can be fixed without pulling the trans. Wish I could help advise with the other issues, but besides not knowing diddly about Volvo engines in particular, nor much beyond changing oil & filters & bleeding the fuel lines in general, you're already so far ahead in diesel knowledge it's not even close.

One thing you can be thankful for up there where you are is that you're not trying to do this down here in AZ. As I write this at 1PM MST (we don't do DST, so same clock as Pacific daylight time) it is 114.1 degrees on the way to forecast high of 118. Overnight lows not expected to dip below 84. Probably a new record for this date. Even our swimming pool water was 92 degrees this morning. I dare not even think how hot the cabin is on the boat, but wouldn't be surprised if it were over 130*. Also, besides the fact that we don't switch clocks for daylight savings, at 33* N latitude our solstice sunset is at 7:42 PM, and full dark by 8:30.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Man we can't even start firework shows until 10 pm up here on the 4th.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Dumped in at Twanoh at closing time on Monday. Throttle response was anemic but at dusk we were committed. I managed to get her home to our mooring ball, but it was a limp. No rpms past 1700 and stall if I went too low. Not fun, but I made it. Yesterday was grass cutting day in prep for family visitors. This am, while the Starfleet Commander was grocery shopping, I spent some time looking closely at my two derelict engines in the shop to try to ascertain what I was doing wrong with the rebuilt engine. And yesterday I spoke with another fellow in our area who recently rebuilt his MD17C. Long story, and another whole education in diesel theory with a minor in Volvo Penta. Armed with a little more knowledge I rowed out to The Beast and checked the operation of the governor and compared the throttle travel on the control arm on the injector pump, minor tweaking then buttoned her up. I am very close to where she needs to be and am now very pleased with her operation. Apparently, my original adjustment did not let enough fuel to be metered to do anything, so it was basically starved. She is very happy now with complete control at least up to 2000. I'll keep the revs under that for the first 10 hours while the rings are seating, though it looks like that is already finished, no blue smoke whatsoever. Then an oil and filter change and keep an eye on the transmission seal. Much more to tell, but I am one happy camper. Enjoy the pics.
IMG_0908.JPG
IMG_0910.JPG
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Sweet!!! She sure puts my old tub to shame!

Now before the end of this summer your bucket list assignment is to post a picture of Willie C in this exact same spot, just like this...
588crop.jpg

And this...
At Chatterbox 2.JPG
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”