• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A Travelling A25?

Albin's "power cruisers"
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Re: A Travelling A25?

Post by Sunsetrider »

Those comments echo my own thoughts, DA but the decision comes to turn east or west at the Erie Canal! And anyway, still one more tax bill to earn and pay . . .
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

We're thinking of the Rideau Canal next year.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

thinking of the Rideau Canal next year.
That would work too. So many places to cruise, so little time. We're set on taking another stab at Desolation Sound next year, since we didn't make it last time due to the dinghy wreck & switched to Plan B & Princess Louisa Inlet instead.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

I am overly familiar with the Rideau system and the communities along it, so it holds no mysteries for me. I am more intrigued by the thought of voyaging up the Trent-Severn system and into Georgian Bay. I do not know if the NY Canal system offers the same level of facilities and scenery, but for me, it represents a gateway to the adventure into foreign lands of the ICW and beyond. I recall the level of focus and intensity required when I first began cruising the waters of the 1000 Islands. feel the urge to be challenged like that again. But the idea of simply following the Trent canal in late summer certainly has its charms. My son is getting married at a resort in Port Severn in September (mid). Wouldn't that be a trip? :)
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

For Desolation Sound I would trailer to Lund and launch there or across the peninsula at the Provincial Park ramp.
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

Sure. If I had a trailer! :(
Abd a truck to pull it.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

For Desolation Sound I would trailer to Lund and launch there or across the peninsula at the Provincial Park ramp.
That's one of three possible options. Washington State ferry system has a route that runs from Anacortes to Sidney on Vancouver Island. If we put our rig on the ferry over to Sidney we could drive up-island to Campbell River & launch from there. That's one option.
DesSoundOpt1.jpg
Driving up the mainland coast to Lund involves two short ferry rides, one across Howe Sound just north of Vancouver from Horseshoe Bay to Hopkins Landing, and the other across Jervis Inlet from Earl's Cove to Saltery Bay, thence up a 2 lane road the rest of the way to Lund. That's another viable option, and I haven't checked on the ferry rates for that.

Last time we spent the first ten days in the San Juans before arriving in Sidney on July 1st, 2016 and continuing on up through the Gulf Islands to Nanaimo before crossing Georgia Strait to Pender Harbour/Garden Bay with the intention to run up to Lund from there & on to Desolation.

Our cruise mates from last year are up in the Seattle/Puget sound area right now shopping for a 30 to 35 foot sailboat to keep up there permanently in Anacortes for use in the summer, as their son, daughter in law, and grandchild live near Seattle. They've looked at several boats so far but haven't found one they're completely satisfied with. We love them dearly, but I wish I could talk them into "going over to the Dark Side" & go in partners with us on a 34 to 36 foot trawler, either an Albin if we could find one, or a CHB Marine Trader. But they're die hard rag baggers & hate to run their engine if there's even a breath of wind. If they do find a boat they'll likely cruise with us again next year, and if that's the case we'll go by water from Blaine, WA where we can park our truck & trailer for free for up to 60 days. So the third option would be to do like we did last time, except spend less time in the San Juans & head straight up through the Gulf Islands (and maybe catch one of those Albineers of BC rendezvous on the way & maybe drop in on dkirsop too). Only instead of crossing Georgia Strait from Nanaimo we'd continue on up the Vancouver Island coast as far as either Comox or Campbell River, depending on weather and sea conditions. This would be another six to eight week cruise.

Taking the Washington State ferry over to Sidney would add another $460 to the cost for the round trip ferry ride, plus any truck & trailer storage fees in Campbell River. Mileage wise the boat gets as good fuel economy on the water as the truck does pulling the trailer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by DesertAlbin736 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I do not know if the NY Canal system offers the same level of facilities...
From our limited experience on the Erie canal, access to facilities is excellent. Most towns along the canal have public docks where you can tie up overnight for free. The canal is only used for recreational boat traffic, no big freight barges or anything like that. The one exception was a $7 charge to tie up & use shore power hookup and rest room facilities in Fairport. We were able to pump out our holding tank, get showers, good choice of restaurants, even went to see a movie on a rainy day in Lyons, and in several cases hook up to shore power to run an electric heater (55* at the end of May). Fairport was probably the most interesting town of the ones we saw. But like I said, we were limited to a fairly short stretch, with stops in the towns of Seneca Falls on the Cayuga-Seneca Canal, and Lyons, Newark, Palmyra, Fairport, and a brief stop at the Midlakes Marina in Macedon on the main canal. Obviously no need for a dinghy, so we left ours tied up on the back of our truck.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”