• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

My 1977 Albin 25 Deluxe rebuild thread

Albin's "power cruisers"
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: My 1977 Albin 25 Deluxe rebuild thread

Post by WillieC »

Time is money! I'm a billionaire, considering my speed.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

What's wrong with this picture?
KIMG1136.jpg
Hint: It was EXHAUSTing work.

Too easy!

I'm reworking the exhaust to a proper system. No standing water allowed. I even made some cardboard mock ups of the two sizes of water locks I was looking at...
KIMG1135.jpg
I actually thought the larger one had a chance but the mockup convinced me otherwise. Sometimes a tape measure cannot tell the whole story.

Reason I plugged the transom exhaust? I'm relocating it 3" higher, above the water line, and installing a goose-neck loop behind the wall panel in the aft cabin. All hose water will either drain overboard or get collected by the waterlock.

And, yes, I did have to paint my cardboard waterlock models.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

So here it is:
KIMG1140.jpg
From left to right...

The yellow striped hose with the orange tape on the end is Vetus 40mm metric exhaust hose - to mate with the Vetus exhaust elbow.

The gray stepped adapter is a Vetus hose connector to adapt from the 40mm hose to the 2" (aka 51mm) hose and waterlock input. Yes, it is plastic, but it is designed for wet exhaust applications provided it is located at least 12" from the exhaust elbow. Mine will be 24".

The waterlock is a Centek Vernalift Inline #1500042. It will reside where the old Elastomuffle sat, at the lowest point of the exhaust system.

Next comes six and a half feet of 2" wet exhaust hose - no wire. Not shown.

Now the fun part... 90 degree connector against the transom. It connects to the 180 degree connector which will be flush against the transom. It then flows down to the second 90 degree connector which mates with the Vetus transom exhaust. All this will fit in the 5" of space behind the upholstered wall panel in the aft cabin.

It will all be double clamped. The Vetus transom exhaust will also be located 3" above the waterline. As they say: "Some assembly required".

Gotta go buy some 2" hose now. ...And some stock in Vetus! I have a feeling I'm putting someone's kid through college over in Holland.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

It's that final 90 degree fitting to the exhaust outlet which troubles me. Is the distance from the flange on the exhaust thru hull to the forward portion of the 90 degree fitting only 5" or less?
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Good eye, Kerrye -

To answer your question, no, it is way more than 5", as seen in the picture.

The Vetus transom exhaust connector is made of rubber and slips over the 90 degree elbow as shown. However, when installed, it will be much shorter. I intend to cut it to only about 2" long or just enough to double clamp the elbow properly. Then it will be about 5" from flange to the forward edge of the elbow.

In reality, the output end of the 90 degree elbow wil be even with the transom.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Ah. That's a solution I hadn't considered when I contemplated this option
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

The exhaust is done!

Here's the water lock sitting in a plywood cradle, 'glassed to the hull. I fabricated some hold down straps out of large hose clamps.
KIMG1194.jpg
The engine compartment view. The gray piece between the yellow stripe hose and the short blue stripe hose is a Vetus hose reducer. It adapts the 40mm exhaust elbow hose to the 2" water lock.
KIMG1193.jpg
The aft cabin view. The riser prevents sea water from filling the system. You can see the original transom exit ('glassed over) just below the new exit.
KIMG1196.jpg
To answer Kerrye's question... Here is the final 90 degree elbow coupled to the rubber Vetus transom exhaust. I cut 1" off the elbow and 1" off the rubber exhaust tip. With the hose on it measures exactly 5" - Small enough to hide behind the new wall panel.
KIMG1198.jpg
Last, the transom fitting. The rubber Vetus exhaust tip has a stainless trim ring that clamps the rubber collar to the transom. You can see the shortened end of the elbow inside the exhaust tip.
KIMG1201.jpg
Next: Raw water cooling system plumbing.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Nice.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Well that was fast! The raw water plumbing is done!

Here ya go...
KIMG1202.jpg
Actually, I had a head start. I did the seacock, through hull, backing block and hull strainer a few weeks ago. Today was simply two hoses and the raw water strainer. Everything double-clamped except for the raw water pump itself - just not enough room for a second clamp there.

Next project: Electrical!

I have a slight head start on that too. I already built a platform for the batteries and 'glassed it to the hull.
KIMG1203.jpg
I might tackle the engine harness and instrument panel first. Gotta check my bank account first... Stay tuned!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Very nice. I would consider somethng similar with the exhaust but the swim platform would be in the way. Also my exhaust exits on the port side, something Albin must have changed after the 1971 model year. As for the raw water strainer, the one that came with our boat was like yours where the inlet & outlet were on top, which caused problems getting the pump to prime when launching after having had the boat out of water. I replaced it with a plastic Vetus unit with inlet & outlets on the bottom which solved the problem.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

What's your situation with holding tank for the head? Ours came with a 9 gallon tank mounted outboard of the battery well, which was woefully inadequate for extended cruising in no discharge waters. Which was why I moved the batteries to the starboard seat locker to make room for a 20 gallon tank.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

My swim platform is off the boat and I filled all the hardware holes in the transom. I can remount it just a couple inches higher to clear the exhaust when the time comes to reinstall it.

I wish it had port side exhaust (my Vetus has a port side exhaust elbow) but it was already set for starboard so I just went with it.

My head compartment is a clean slate. No head at present. I even 'glassed over all the through hull holes. I hear you on the capacity limitations of a 9 gallon tank but I always cringe when I think about carrying around 20 gallons of poo in a tank, although in certain circumstances (extended cruising) it is a necessary evil. I might even go to a compost head. I hear they fit OK.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Saw a composting head in an a25 in Lockport last week. Fit nicely Look on Facebook our albin 25 tiny boat project. We use a porta potti. I see no point in either pumping poop or adding additional water to a storage tank.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

They used a C-head toilet
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Wow! It's been so long that this thread fell back to the third page!

Yes, I'm back. And for those wondering, I've decided to push on with the Albin A25 project. She is no longer for sale at this time.

Good news: My brother has lots of time on his hands and he is going to help with the interior and the woodwork. He's a finish carpenter between jobs and looking to keep busy. Boy, do I have "busy" for you!

I predict progress. Stay tuned!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”