• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

My 1977 Albin 25 Deluxe rebuild thread

Albin's "power cruisers"
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Re: My 1977 Albin 25 Deluxe rebuild thread

Post by hetek »

The Albins are still there last I saw. They were for sale when I visited Joe last summer.
His personal one was a 25 Deluxe model but he also had a first generation one there too (customer's?) for sale.

Both needed repower. Joe gave me a great deal on a new Beta 38 for the Deluxe, but...

I called up an old acquaintance in South Carolina who also had a Deluxe for sale. I bought that one for the same price as Joe's but it also included an aluminum trailer and a 25 hp Vetus diesel with 500 hours on it. Yes, the mighty Vetus! I like saying it that way. It makes me feel better. It may not run in the double digits (10+ knots) like the 38 hp Beta would but I'm curious to see what it will do.

I've seen Joe's boat(s) hit eBay and Craig's List every now and then also.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Speaking of Joe D. & Craig's List, the Hartford Craig's List page has two interesting boats listed, one a 1983 Albin 27, Isuzu engine, 'new AC electrical system, and hard shell dinghy on snap davits'. Rest of the description is pretty sketchy. Dinghy looks very similar to our Gig Harbor, but may be something else, perhaps a Trinka? Hard to tell because only the bottom is visible in the photos. Asking price $14,500. Location says 'Portland', but it's pinned on the map as close to Middletown on the Connecticut River.
A27 in CT.jpg
The other is a 1972 Norwegian built Saga 27, similar center cockpit/aft cabin design as the Albin 25 & 27, except double ended & faux lapstrake hull. Says it has a Perkins diesel, no mention of HP size, but says it's not running and 'needs starter or repower'. Considered a "project boat' for $5,000, located in New London. Apparently this style of boat is much more popular and common in Scandinavia and Europe. Looks like a very seaworthy type, except difficult to carry and board a dinghy, other than towing it behind. Could certainly handle a steep following sea. I would not mind having something like that up in Puget Sound & San Juans. If we lived in the area it would certainly be an attractive project.
Saga27.jpg
Actually, the Saga 27 looks like a very cool boat. Here's one listed for sale in Sweden, with a lot of photos. I'd definately go for something like this if the forward cabin settees can be made into a double berth and the cockpit fully enclosed with canvas. Otherwise, it really is the same layout as Albins, except with the galley up in the cockpit. Why don't we have more boats like this in the US?

https://www.scanboat.com/en/boat-market/boats/Motor-boat-saga-27-ac-i-gott-skick-17183583

And this one...

https://www.scanboat.com/en/boat-market/boats/Motor-boat-saga-27-ak-17184586

We didn't actually get to meet Joe, only his shop employee. Joe was out the day we stopped by and we didn't have time to hang around and wait for him because we were anxious to get on down to Weekapaug after a long drive from western NY.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Still going...

Engine bed modifications for the mighty Vetus.

Consists of 2x4 Ipe wood sleepers with a 3/8" 6061 aluminum plate top. 3/8" stainless steel bolts pass through the aluminum and Ipe and and into drilled and tapped 3/8" steel plates, fiberglassed into the Albin's motor pan. All sealed with 3M 4000 UV sealant.
KIMG1076.jpg
Next step: In goes the mighty Vetus!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Very nice. That ought to do the trick. Wise choice to go with the 3M 4000. Note, it's polyether based, not polyurethane based like 5200, so if ever in the future it needed to be removed, not that it will be, here's an article on it:

http://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/blogs ... -removable
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

How could it ever be anything other than Mighty?! Who would ever call it (or anything)
The Mediocre Vetus. or

The Fair to Middling Vetus.

How about The Piss Poor Volvo Penta? These names come down the line, with age and character. May your swap go well and be all you need it to be.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

I used the 4000 UV for two reasons: One, it is UV resistant and won't yellow with age. It is also quick curing. I felt the 5200 was a bit too permanent.

"Mighty Vetus" just kinda rolls off the tongue. It also helps to build up its self-esteem. Like the "Little Engine That Could." 
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Engine install is scheduled for next Friday morning!

Spent the day cleaning and prepping for the big day. Had decent weather so I installed these:
KIMG1079.jpg
Had some leftover 1/4" aluminum so I made heavy duty backing plates...
KIMG1081.jpg
That ought to take the flex out of the transom!

My thanks to Desert Albin for posting his source for the cleats, or ladder steps, or teak bollards... whatever they call them. A bit pricey but they were in stock and are original to the A25. Mine were missing.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

You're quite welcome. I bought a pair imported from Foresti & Suardi for our boat to add midships cleats for docking & spring lines. You may find the future addition of a swim platform to be useful, especially for boarding dinghies and having a folding swim ladder. But that can always be done later. Good luck on the engine install.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

I do have a nice teak swim platform that came with the boat but, to be honest, I could see that it was going to require a lot of work. It didn't come with any mounting hardware and it was in need of a good teak bleaching and oiling.

I'd have to source the proper mounting hardware, test fit, measure, measure, measure... drill, drill, drill... seal and bolt it on. The two steps were much easier and the holes were already there. Besides, I like them. Very quirky. Very "Albin 25". I could always install the swim platform later when I get more time. And energy.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

drill, drill, drill
Where have we heard that before? Drill, baby drill? :wink:

Seriously, I can't imagine not having our swim platform. If we only docked at marinas and didn't do any anchoring out & using a dinghy that would be one thing. A swing up boarding ladder would be the next best thing. In fact I'm still trying to figure out a good way to add a folding boarding ladder to the platform on our boat.

I guess one option where you could keep the teak grab handles you have & add a swim platform too would be something like this split platform. This '77 DeLuxe was our first intro to the world of Albin 25's. We almost bought this boat after seeing it listed in the Phoenix Craig's List, but balked on the price and some mechanical issues it had. Silly me, thinking $17K was too much for a boat with a newer 40HP Volvo, when I've since sunk close to twice that into the boat we have now. But I sure liked that split stern rail and boarding ladder setup.
Albin.jpg
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Duly noted, DA. It could always be a future project. And I do have a beauty of a platform. It is full width and curves perfectly with the transom.

But for now I have to focus on "running and driving", or in my case "running and floating". :)
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Pictures!

KIMG1095.jpg
KIMG1096.jpg
KIMG1098.jpg
KIMG1099.jpg
KIMG1101.jpg
KIMG1105.jpg
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Now that's way too easy! Cheater! And adjustable mounts?! Preposterous!
But I like it just the same. Nice work. Keep posting pics.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

SAH-WEET!!
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Thanks! I'm very happy. A major hurdle complete.

Took all of 10 minutes thanks to the open pilothouse roof. Straight down!

That's the yard mechanic in the pictures. Like I told him: "Your time is my money", so I made it as easy and quick as possible. I used my plywood template to set the motor mounts prior to the install. Worked like a charm!
Last edited by hetek on Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”