• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

My 1977 Albin 25 Deluxe rebuild thread

Albin's "power cruisers"
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: My 1977 Albin 25 Deluxe rebuild thread

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Well, not much left to the 2016 boating season up there, so there's plenty of time go through everything in time for next spring. By the time you got everything done this fall it would be time to shrink wrap for the winter anyway.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

LOL! I wish I could get everything done before winter! I'll just keep plugging away at it until it is water-ready. I'm aiming for Spring, 2017 at the earliest. Might be more like Summer...

I'm investigating ways to work on the boat during the off-season. It is next to my house so I have my heated garage to use as a workshop. Maybe take care of some of the woodwork off the boat.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

hetek wrote:I'm investigating ways to work on the boat during the off-season.
For a half-crazed, over the top approach, build a temporary structure over it! Here's what our 1978 Trojan F-32 lived in the first two winters. You can see the bow faintly through the plastic.
boattent.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Nancy! That's a work of art!

Believe it or not, I was looking at temporary shelters today, but not as nice as yours. Just something to cover an A25 would be about $1500 or so. "Portable garages" or similar. I think I would rather take that kind of money and invest it in the rebuild.

But... I actually have a cover system called Kover Klamps that uses 1" electrical EMT tubing as ribs. The clamps form the intersections of the frames. I've used them for winter covers on several boats in the past. I bet I could make a nice shelter with them. Hmmm... You got me thinking now. Thanks for the suggestion!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Jon, we built that out of strapping and heavy-duty poly. Heated it easily with a salamander. Noisy, but warm!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

The gears are turning now, Nancy! I actually think I have enough Kover Klamps to accomplish the shelter I'd like. Just need some EMT now and a heavy duty poly tarp. I'll save designing that for my evening (no sun) work.

Just looking at some photos and my engine cover. Am I missing something here? Take a look...
image.jpg
and now take a look at this photo from the Web. Looks like there is another piece that sits on the engine bed/tray...
image.jpg
Does this look familiar to anyone?

It looks to me like my engine box (top photo) sits directly on the floor and the other half of the take-apart hinges screws to the floorboard just forward of the 2x4 cross beam. That would leave a gap between the floor level and the engine bed, but then I see the second photo and the mystery part. Looks like a lower shroud of sorts.

Anyone?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

And speaking of floorboards...

Bottom line: I have none. All gone.

Can anyone share an idea of (or photo) how the floorboards are laid out? I know there is a removable access panel (or hinged?) just aft of the 2x4 cross beam. There is a plywood piece over the fuel tank and a 2x4 that ties in the cross beam to the forward bulkhead on the port side of the engine. There is a box that finishes off the space between the engine box and the starboard coaming - for the batteries?

Can anyone share some key photos on how to lay it out? Or if you're adventurous, a nice diagram? It's an A25 Deluxe model btw, if it matters.

Much appreciated in advance.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

My Deluxe engine box is one solid piece that just sits on top of the 'ribs' on each side of the engine box. No attachment mechanism. Three floorboards. One over the fuel tank. One over the back part of the bilge and a small floorboard between the front of that and the back of the engine box.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Ah... That simple?

Does it have like a shoebox-type joint or something to hold it where it belongs? To keep the box from skidding around?

Didn't know the 3 floorboards I knew about were the only ones. Thanks!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

After a good afternoon of degreaser, spray cleaner, rubber gloves and a hose...
image.jpg
Nowhere to go but up.

You can also see how someone took a grinder to the engine bed to make an engine fit. I'll have to do some fiberglass work too, it seems.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

The later Deluxe model engine box differs from the early version, so yours might be a bit different. On mine there are 5 separate floorboard sections, 2 behind the engine, one over the fuel tank, and 2 to starboard of the engine box under the helm seat, flush with the top of the engine box. Under the helm seat mine has a larger board and a smaller board outboard of the larger one. They are supported by wooden cross frames & the edges of the deck.
A25 floor.jpg
I don't have too many photos of our floor boards, but here are a few

This one shows the boards over the fuel tank & right behind the engine box
DSCN3673.JPG
The one shows the rear half of the cockpit
Albin table in Cockpit.jpg
This one shows the support frames for the board that covers the fuel tank. Note the L brackets & bolts that hold it together.
DSCN3676.JPG
You'll note the difference in the early model engine box that is stepped so the the middle floorboard covers part of the engine box & has to be removed to open the engine box. Yours may be different with the later '77 DeLuxe version.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Northern Spy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Belhaven N.C.

Post by Northern Spy »

Our 1975 Deluxe had a 25hp universal diesel swapped in at some point in it's life. We typically cruise around 6.5 kn at an unknown RPM. it has the ability to sprint to 7.5 kn if it feels like it. we haven't had a time when we "needed" more speed buyt there are times it would be nice. we can usually get about .75 gal/hr at cruise speed sometimes more sometimes less. Our only complaint is that its a noisy little bugger. When it croaks we will likely repower with a yanmar 40hp.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Fantastic, DesertAlbin! Many thanks! With your diagram and photos I'm sure I can get a floor in the old girl. I actually cut and installed the cross beam behind the engine tonight. Then I ran out of daylight.

Northern Spy - I'm not expecting miracles from the little Vetus. About what you get with your 25 hp Universal is typical, I would say. It will be good to compare notes when I finally get her in the water.

New question: Are the floorboards made of 1/2 or 5/8" plywood? Seems like either would work. I'd go with 5/8" if I didn't already have a sheet of 1/2" marine ply in my garage. It's probably some metric plywood knowing the Swedes!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

New question: Are the floorboards made of 1/2 or 5/8" plywood? Seems like either would work. I'd go with 5/8" if I didn't already have a sheet of 1/2" marine ply in my garage. It's probably some metric plywood knowing the Swedes!
Definately 5/8" at least, maybe even 3/4" or closest metric equivalent. Best thing is to measure the inset along the sides & back & try to use the thickness that makes to boards come closest to being flush with the f/g section by the aft cabin door. Assuming you're going to keep the cockpit dry with an enclosure, I would think good quality regular exterior plywood would work if painted with oil based paint. If your wanted to splurge & go classy you could do teak & holly, or a Lonseal imitation vinyl teak & holly flooring over slightly thinner plywood. We just cut sections of cheap $20 Home Depot Indoor/Outdoor carpet attached to the floor boards with button snaps.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Thanks DA -

A 1/2" floorboard would just about reach the lip of the recess, and it seems it would be flush. But, the nonskid area is slightly raised so a 5/8" board wouldn't look out of place. Again, I bet the difference is due to the fact they used metric plywood. Seems like all the wood in an A25 is a little on the light side. Kinda reminds me of Ikea furniture. Enough to get the job done - not much more.

One of my intents with this build is to make use of all the parts I bought for other projects but never used. I have a Racor primary fuel filter, fuse panel, through hulls, and... two rolls of nice, navy blue, marine grade carpeting.

Trim to fit, add corner snaps and I'll be good to go. And yes, I do have a cockpit canvas, so hopefully I won't be walking on a sponge after a rain.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”