• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Anyone have a lead on the bulkhead lights over each berth

Albin's "power cruisers"
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Anyone have a lead on the bulkhead lights over each berth

Post by NickScheuer »

in an Albin-25? Of the 4 in our boat (2 in aft cabin) 2 have broken bezels. Am not seeing any7thing I like in the way of modern LED substitutes.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Anyone have a lead on the bulkhead lights over each bert

Post by NickScheuer »

DSCF2291.JPG
Here is a photo of the light I'm looking for
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Maybe not the answer you're looking for, but on our A27 I replaced every single light fixture on the boat with LED's. I used 3 or 4 different fixtures that I bought on eBay and none of them cost more than $20 to $30. The more expensive ones were large 8" fixtures with 50 or 60 LED's in them that I used in the galley and over the dinette. All were significantly brighter than the old fluorescent and incandescent fixtures they replaced and the current draw was reduced by 50% or more - In some cases, much more. The lights over the berths were so much brighter that I installed solid state LED dimmers for them so you could adjust the intensity to whatever you need. The dimmers were only $4 or $5 each. In the end, I got lots more light for lots less battery power used and with greater reliability too

I also replaced all the running lights with LED fixtures (bow, stern, port and starboard) and while they were brighter too, there really isn't and battery power to be saved because the engine is running when the nav lights are in use. A new LED anchor light used 1/4 the amount of juice and was brighter than the original one

The LED stern light was so bright it really lit up the swim platform which got me to thinking about using it as a 'porch light' to make it easier getting in and out of the dink after dark. I mounted a stainless push switch in the transom and connected that to a $10 solid state timer, which used no power at all until the button is pushed. The amount of 'on time' was adjusted by programming the timer using a laptop. I had it set for 5 minutes, so anytime I pushed the button, the light would go off as we were motoring ashore. Worked out very well

I hope you're able to find the exact fixture you're looking for, but if it turns out to be more than just a few dollars, you might be happier looking into LED's - Especially if you intend to use it as a reading light for your bunk

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

To use them on a vertical bulkhead, you might have to mount these using a 45 degree block of wood to angle the light downward, but they might work for your application . . . . and they're cheap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marine-Boat-Nat ... 69&vxp=mtr

These would be a little brighter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-LED-COURTES ... 1816532486

There are literally dozens of similar fixtures you can find, especially if you're willing to wait 4 to 6 weeks to get them shipped directly from China. I bought several very nice lights for only $5 or $6 each

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

Thanks for the links, Beta Don. Mounting a utility light on a beveled block has occurred to me, and that would be OK. However, I'd want a switch incorporated in the fixture. The prices of the items you linked are a lot more attractive than pricing from the usual marine catalogs.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

I bought LED bulbs to go in these fixtures. Have you checked with the Swedish Albin parts store?
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

Superbrightleds dot com. I replaced every light on the boat for around 30-40 bucks. I used original fixtures (thanks Ben)...also added a West red/white pilot house light. By the by, I prefer the cool color as opposed to "warm". You can by any fixture out there and convert to led for about 1/4 of what they charge for their official "led" labeled products. Also note that most newer LEDs work in dimmable mode as well.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”