• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Installing Engine Hatch Gas Struts

Albin's "power cruisers"
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Installing Engine Hatch Gas Struts

Post by JT48348 »

Has anyone considered or installed gas struts on the A27 engine hatches. The struts might be hinged or a gas cylinder (like a car hood) to keep the engine bay hatches open.

My open hatches just kind of lean against the helm chair and pilothouse bulkhead. But it would make sense to have struts that hold the hatches open.
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Re: Installing Engine Hatch Gas Struts

Post by Jay Knoll »

I just attach a piece of line on each handle and tie them off to the adjuster knobs on the seat tracks, a lot more cost effective!
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

I reversed the hatch covers on my 27 so the starboard one opened first . . . . because all of the maintenance points on my Yanmar were on the starboard side of the engine. I could do most things with just that one hatch door open and still walk to and from the cabin over the port door.

On mine, when the starboard door was opened it rested against the helm seat and then lowering the dashboard hatch door pinned it against the seat - The hatch couldn't move at all. I seldom needed to open the portside door, other than to check the battery water, but when I did, I used a little 1/4 by 1/2 inch strip of wood about 2 feet long that I kept laying in the 'gutter' under the door to prop the port door open. The stick fit in a notch in the center of the gutter and against the lip under the hatch door - I had to bend it slightly to stick it on there and that kept it 'spring loaded' against the door when propped all the way open. The port door never moved even if there was a bumpy sea at the time

The K.I.S.S principle applies here IMO, as well as keeping it cheap and not adding any unnecessary weight to the boat . . . . but we do all have different priorities, so whatever suits your personal taste is just fine too :D

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

hi
there is a simple 'bendy' spring support you can get to hold hatches open,
only cost a few $ and don't put a lot of pressure on the hatch when in the closed position
Defender sell them
warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

Yeah those are great until you accidentally bump the spring while it is holding the hatch open then it collapses very quickly. We had one of those on a chart table and I quickly leaned to watch my arms as I was rummaging around trying to find something.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”