• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel tank vent

Albin's "power cruisers"
changer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hutchinson Island, FL

Fuel tank vent

Post by changer »

Hi, ( new to me) I have an '85 A27FC with a 70gal fuel tank. Having a lot foaming occur during refill operation. I can only find one way to improve venting and that is to temporarily remove a 5/8" dipstick port on the top of the tank. Can not find any installed vent to clean or replace. Doesn't the tank need a vent to replace used fuel with air? How is that arranged? May be right in front of my nose, but can't find it.

Appreciate some guidance from you...thanks, doug
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Fuel tank vent

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Can't help much, but the fuel tank has to have an overboard vent as well as a return line from the low pressure side of engine's fuel system in addition to the fuel supply line going from tank to engine. Can't imagine there wouldn't be one. That overboard vent has to be somewhere, usually exiting the side of the hull near the tank & just below the deck, usually with the opening covered by a screen. Maybe that vent line is just clogged somehow/somewhere? Keep looking!
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

There is definitely a vent. It's required by the Coast Guard and it must be 5/8ths hose. On my 27 it was on the port side, just below the rub rail and just aft of the aft engine bulkhead - But, mine was an early boat ('84) and Albin made changes as the years went along, so yours may be in a different place, but it will certainly vent through the hull to the outside

I had the same issue as you did (my boat had sat for several years) and it turned out that insects had plugged up the vent hose with mud

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
changer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by changer »

Thanks All... guidance is appreciated... on to discovery. Maybe bugs ?!

doug
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

Mines in the same place as Don's with a similar looking water vent next to the was down spigot front of port cockpit seat.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
changer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by changer »

Thanks all... found the hose vent... clogged with "old bugs" I think.

best. doug

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”