• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 forward bilge pump

Albin's "power cruisers"
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

A27 forward bilge pump

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi finally back working on the boat. A big wind came by and blew the tarp off it reminded me a boat is under there. Someone was trying to tell me something. I was thinking about the forward bilge way can't I just drill a hole through to the center bilge and have it drain to there. I'm not planning on using the shower. It would be simpler. Other projects I'm doing painting all the bilges, storage boxes,engine room, got my soundproofing,building sound proof engine box,ripped out half the electric,plumbing,polishing gel coat and a lot of other things. The main one is putting a real rubrail on. Thanks Chris
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: A27 forward bilge pump

Post by Beta Don »

Good idea - That would work fine I think. There's easy access to the bottom of the forward bilge though the plate in the hanging locker. On my boat, that bulkhead was two layers of 3/4 plywood and there was a bit of space between the two. I would suggest you drill a hole large enough to stick a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe in the hole. Coat the plywood liberally with epoxy resin so the water doesn't delaminate it and then stick the little piece of PVC though while the epoxy is still wet. A 2 or 3 inch piece of pipe would be all that's required

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

Thanks Don for the reply that's what I'll try. I'll probably drill a bigger hole and a pilot hole first to see where it's going. How is the new boat search going?
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Well, we've driven maybe 2500 miles and looked at a lot of turkeys! - 8 or 9 in all

I told Carolyn our problem is . . . . we want to buy a nice $125K 40 footer, but we only want to pay about half that for it :lol: When you're looking at boats in that size range priced at less than $75K, they will probably all be 30 years old or so and have a few 'issues'

We're gonna check out one more next week when we take a trip to Tampa to visit the grandkids. If it turns out to be a junker too, I think we'll put the search on the back burner and do more traveling in the new van

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

I met the owner of the Jefferson...let's discuss before you come down here.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

The boats are out there , 'boat fam' you tube channel or video blog
https://youtu.be/mL3eYWFPZcQ
is about a family that bought a '79 Albin 43' for $35000 in good condition . They found it on Craig's list!
See my post in the classics 35/43 part of the forum
Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

When you say forward bilge what do you mean? The vberth locker?

I have holes that drain from the vberth locker to the bilge which runs uninterrupted from under the vberth aft edge through the forward cabin and under the engine pan then aft.

There's nothing preventing water from going aft other than uneven slope of bilge.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

JT my boat is divided into three distinct parts. The forward section is the shower sump. I'm going to drill a hole through the bulkhead to let it drain into the engine bilge and get rid of that bilge pump? The aft bilge is where the propeller shaft tube goes through. Mine never had a bilge pump there. It was full of water sitting on dry land. I have to figure out a way to put a bilge pump in there. Does anyone else have a bilge pump under propeller shaft tub wear the skeg bolts to?
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

Interesting. Yes you will want an even run from forward cabin aft so the final draining bilge is aft most. You may have to drill a hole and then dremel it so no water can be standing.

My boat had a bilge pump in the aft most bilge area under the shaft and stuffing box. It was difficult to get out and I had to take it apart so it would pass by the shaft which blocks the way due to reduced width. There is an space under the bilge bulkhead (where the flange shaft bearing mounts) that might allow you to slide a pump into the aft most bilge. But you will need access to that area.

To pump out my bilge I used a smaller 500gph pump and feeder hose to spot remove water. As a DIY alternative use a wet/dry shop vac. It's perfect for getting water out temporarily
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

On my boat the aft bilge pump is on a long stainless strap so it does not have to be attached to the bottom of the keel and can be pulled out to clean etc
Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

I'm working on the rear bilge now. It never had a bilge pump. What do you think of just drilling through to the center bilge? I have to drill through the rear cabin sole to get a hose in there. Any thoughts?

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”