• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Anyone Using a Force 10 Cabin Heater?

Albin's "power cruisers"
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Anyone Using a Force 10 Cabin Heater?

Post by WillieC »

I have the old and I think original Esparverrigeltervorsprechensiegefeltefische bransle heater in my boat. One of the DPOs apparently thought about or tried to work on it since in all the paperwork I got with the boat there are a couple sheets in Swedish regarding repair and service of the thing. Last time I tried it actually fired up and spewed hot air into the cabin. I would need to spend some time with it before trusting it. The exhaust is just below the gunwale on the starboard side so fumes find their way back into the cabin depending on the conditions. The Official Handbook also describes how many nights you could use it and still get your engine started. Hmm... trust but verify.

I really do like your idea of making the Force Ten work. Lots of good advice from others here, especially Ben's comments about shields and spacers. When we lived in Illinois back in my other life, I made a sheetmetal stove that I planned on using in the garage of the house we rented. Then we got our first gas bill that was twice our rent payment and I moved it into the kitchen. Now this was a rental, an ancient farmhouse that used to have outdoor plumbing and the kitchen annex was added as a sort of lean-to onto the olde house. The short wall of the lean-to add-on was about 6' tall and sloped up to the main house. I know these old midwestern farmers, so I deduced that when the kitchen was panelled sometime in the 60s, that the two foot trims of the cheap 8 foot panelling were still lurking about in the attic somewhere. Sure enough, I found them in the garage attic so I carefully removed the one panel in the center of the wall thereby exposing the old hole for the cookstove chimney flue and tacked up the two foot trims and poked a new hole for my sheetmetal wood burner. The owners were happy to get their rent check and the old geezer Swede across the road, who became my fast friend once we got over the age difference, applauded my sensibilities, though in retrospect what I consider my stupidity in light of what could have happened. Behind the stove, I installed a sheet metal shield, 26 or 30 ga. I forget, that I stood off the wood paneling with one inch long gutter spike ferrules. The wall behind never even got overly warm, my insurance against my youthful stupidity, but it worked. When we moved out, I replaced the panel and carefully hid the trim pieces back up in the attic.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Anyone Using a Force 10 Cabin Heater?

Post by WillieC »

Poking around on BC Albineers and found this:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... 4C0UuwD5zI

Link to manual for heater. Hope it helps.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”