• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Blue box on 4d61 engine

Albin's "power cruisers"
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Blue box on 4d61 engine

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi I'm being lazy here does anyone know what the blue box on the back of the 4d61 does. I think it's for the charging system or maybe the glow plugs. I haven't traced it out. It looks expensive and hard to find. I have a friend trying to convince me to put a single wire alternator on the motor and rip everything else off. It's very tempting to make it simpler. Thanks
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Re: Blue box on 4d61 engine

Post by hetek »

It is the glow plug timer circuit box. It activates the glow plugs when you turn the key on and has a 7 second timer to prevent from burning the plugs out. Mine was defective so I replaced it with a heavy duty solenoid and a push button on the dash to activate it.

"One Mississippi... Two Mississippi..." took care of the "7 second timer" function.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

Thanks Hetek I think I'll just pull the blue box off now and rewire it. Since I'm redoing most of the wiring now. Thanks again Chris
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

The blue box is linked to the starter wiring t had trouble getting my rebuilt starter working until I hooked up the wiring correctly
Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

I pulled off the blue box today. A friend helped me rewire the motor. I have the glow plugs wired up to a switch on dash. The motor actually turns over when we finished. Now to get it started. Albin had the alternator output wire run up to the dash and back down to the starter. This time just ran it around the back of motor to starter. It wasn't to bad and now everything is easily replaceable with off the shelf parts. I never thought it would take this long to complete the boat. I should of known better. Everyone told me it would.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”