• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Heart Surgery for Sea Quill

Albin's "power cruisers"
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: Heart Surgery for Sea Quill

Post by dkirsop »

I'll try to draw up a diagram or take a better picture this weekend.

https://youtu.be/ZtNh4A2Q__A

I don't know how to insert a working link. If this doesn't work just do a search on uTube for "AD21 Running" and it will come up.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

That link works fine. Thanks. Sounds very nice!

I just finished up the 17C and boy does it need help on these cold days, at least for the first start. The old MD3B had such poor compression, that may be why it started so easily, always in a state of decompression. My mechanic friend just talked to his old diesel buddy who also confirmed these glowplug free engines take a lot of cranking and decompression when stone cold and don't stop cranking!
Can't wait to hear how you did it.
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

I found it
Try this link
https://youtu.be/ZtNh4A2Q__A
Or put this directly into you tube search bar
youtu.be/ZtNh4A2Q__A
Nice clean engine
Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

Spring is here and time to move on with the heart surgery!
P1040813.jpg
Mystery.jpg
Good Fit.jpg
Removal.jpg
Solved.jpg
Side View.jpg
Stay tuned for installation photos!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Even I can smell where this is going. The one advantage to NOT having a BC hardtop. I'll be doing the same shortly only with a 650 pound unit.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

I do have a hard top, it is a large hatch that spans the dog house opening and is easy to remove. The PO made it and did a very nice job! It is also hinged and can be opened for ventilation. I'll include some pictures in my next post.

I think my motor weighs in at close to 600lb.; the manual says approximately 550lb but this is for the raw water cooled version. I designed the gantry for 600lb.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

WillieC wrote: I couldn't get the youtubes to work.
I fixed the original link of the engine running. Should work for you now.

Love this thread. :)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

My hardtop is also removable, but I figured out how to swap engines without that extra work. When the top comes off, it needs more work than I want to do at this time. Your yard crane is exactly what I contemplated doing. I think I will repeat my ramp side entry system that I used for removal. As BetaDon says, all I need is a decent come-along. My overhead, over in my shop across the road, has too many issues, not the least of which is getting the boat close enough to it.
Then again, forklift rental would be almost like cheating. I haven't ruled that out yet. Our problem is our relative remoteness, that and my frugality. And I take a certain pleasure in solving difficult problems. A problem in itself.
ps, Doug, thanks for the fix. I managed to find it on the youtubes, but I appreciate your moderation.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

I like that SS exhaust pipe, dkirsop. We have a V-P MDE17-C in the DuNORD, but will be reading your posts diligently.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

That is impressive! Nicely
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

WillieC, I live on an island which precluded the rental of a hoist. Hence the scaffold. All in it only cost me $250 for the wood and I borrowed the chain hoist so I do not think it is costing me any more. As a bonus, I can work at geezer speed and not have to worry about hourly rates! It just might heat my house next winter too! Planning to install the rebuilt engine towards the end of this week.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Geezer speed is my specialty! Be careful, though it looks like you've been around a few important blocks. I look at every dime I don't spend if I don't need to, I can spend on something I do want. Oh yes, any scraps end up in the wood stove as well.
Speaking of geezer speed, I just finished scraping my bottom, the boat's that is, and weather permitting getting that project done then it's time to put the 17C in. All in good time.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

WillieC, I live on an island which precluded the rental of a hoist.
And what a pretty island it is indeed! You've done and amazing job! Hopefully we'll be able to get back up that way again someday. Not this year, but perhaps in another 2 or 3 years & hopefully get to meet & see your boat in person, which would be awesome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

Installation of my rebuilt engine is now complete. Here are some photos of the final product.
Box.jpg
Of course one simply can't drop the engine in. The engine bed has to be cleaned up, new wires run and old sound insulation replaced. I routed the wires to keep them out of the sump and clear of any fuel/oil spills.
Top.jpg
Looking from above, all neat and ship shape.
Front.jpg
Here's the view from the front.

Alignment was easy and everything came together. Prop has been cleaned and new anodes installed. Just a few minor projects to finish off: exhaust temperature alarm, water and holding tank gauge, new bilge pump and a new VHF antenna. Should be in the water by the end of the month!
Hull No. 1013, 1971
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solon, ME

Post by honza »

Dkirsop:

Neat job. Would you remember what glow plugs you used? Anything special about their wiring? Any recent/practical experience with your setup? Thank you.

1971, hull 1110
P.S. It is hard to believe, that they built 97, or more, boats in one year.
Slow Poke A25 #1110

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”