• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

FC 27 Helm station wiper

Albin's "power cruisers"
changer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hutchinson Island, FL

FC 27 Helm station wiper

Post by changer »

Hi, Have a A27FC...1985... I believe original wiper motor. Problem is the blade passes over the window frame on both sides during operation. Any input on the blade size. If I go for a shorter blade, the area of wiping reduces substantially. Appreciate solutions if you have tackled this.
... what was the size of the factory blade?

thanks, doug
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: FC 27 Helm station wiper

Post by Beta Don »

If ever there was a boat which needs great wipers, it's an A27! - Can't count the times we had white water flying completely over the boat, drenching the windshields in a deluge of salt water

I installed a new motor (one for each side, actually) which has adjustable sweep angles. I also used a pantograph arm set - Two arms, one on the wiper motor shaft and the second one on a bearing which you install beside the motor shaft. The pantograph arms keep the blade vertical which enables it to come very close to the edges no matter what size blade you want to use . . . . longer blades are preferable of course, as they cover more of the glass. With the proper sweep angle and the proper arm length (both arms are adjustable for length) you can use any blade length you like and have the blade almost (but not quite) touch the vertical wood trim on both sides! :D

http://www.amequipment.com/ame-products ... rge-glass/

That's not the unit that I used, but you can see the sweep pattern a pantograph gives you - Most busses with large windshields use a pantograph set-up. I ordered my pieces from Five Oceans

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
changer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by changer »

Thanks Don. Having looked at this approach and what is available... I am thinking an arm with the 17-22" adjustability and an motor with an 80 degree arc can work.... would you agree? what are your specs for your A27FC

best, doug
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Doug - I did my install about 2 years ago and my recollections aren't exact as to what I ended up using - I played around with things for a month or so before I got everything sorted out. I bought the wiper motors from TMC

http://tmcin.com/browseproducts/Model-- ... Shaft.html

I *think* I ended up using the 83 degree position on the motor. Since that is fixed, you'll need to adjust the arm length for as long as you can but not too long or you'll have the blade hit the wood on the side of the glass. I bought the arms and bearings from Five Oceans, but you can get them from TMC also. If you want the wiper to park next to the center window, you'll need to order different motors - One model parks to the right, one to the left

The variable to get everything set up perfectly is the arm length, so it's fortunate that they are adjustable - You just keep extending the arms until the sweep covers almost all of the glass

Tim Richardson at TMC was most helpful with everything. You can e-mail him at tim@tmcin.com and he'll be happy to help you sort out what you need

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
changer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by changer »

Thanks Don. Terrific. Really appreciated.

best, doug

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”