• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

This is what happens when an A27 hits the dock

Albin's "power cruisers"
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

This is what happens when an A27 hits the dock

Post by rnummi »

So there I was.... my Dad couldn't get boat to reverse.... I'm still in shock but figured this would incentivize Chris to keep plowing ahead with his project. This was not a high speed impact... 1/2 knot or so.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Re: This is what happens when an A27 hits the dock

Post by tego »

Yeah Rick, That'll take more than some new paint! Sorry my friend. I use my rail all the time to slide off a piling into a tight slip at my friends place but I've never heard so much as a whisper of a strain on the rail. Your dock if I remember correctly is concrete? Good luck with it. Ben
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Ugh, bummer. But the damage looks pretty limited in extent, i.e. railings and stanchions are OK, wooden pulpit is OK, all damage is above waterline. Any idea yet why the engine wouldn't shift into reverse?
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

I checked it after crash. It shifted into reverse. I think we are looking at "pilot error". He's 75.... he bought me my first boat... I'm giving him a pass. He also went half in on the boat and was there giving moral support while I worked on restoration..... like I said. Spilt milk.... time to figure out how to repair.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

That's a bummer for sure! - So sorry to here about this. I imagine your Dad is really frustrated about the extent of the damage

Looks like the nose must have hit the end of the slip? More of a problem with not keeping it centered approaching the slip than not reversing in time?

Bow Thrusters! - You either come in carrying enough speed to be able to keep the nose where you need it in any wind or current pushing it left or right, or you come in at a snails pace and use the thruster to center the nose and the rudder to center the stern

I recall your Dad commenting on how easy our thruster made getting into your very narrow slip the first time we docked there - He was standing at the end of the slip watching us approach and ready to take a line if necessary

Even with Chris's proposed rub rail strengthening you probably would have had quite a bit of damage from that landing

Time to trade up to a bigger boat!!

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

It'll take some skilled repair work to fix for sure, but a good f/g guy should be able to make it look like and be sound as new. That buddy of mine who lets me work on my boat down at his shop also races sailboats, and last year his main race boat got T-boned near the bow in a pile up at a rounding mark. The collision punched a triangular shaped hole right through the side about 12 X 15 X 15 inches big just below the rail. This other sailing friend of his is amazing when it comes to repairing & painting fiberglass. The repair is done now & looks great, only waiting on matching paint (hull was already painted red). If you can find someone like that or be able to or learn how to do it yourself it'll come out fine.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

rnummi wrote:I checked it after crash. It shifted into reverse. I think we are looking at "pilot error". He's 75.... he bought me my first boat... I'm giving him a pass. He also went half in on the boat and was there giving moral support while I worked on restoration..... like I said. Spilt milk.... time to figure out how to repair.
Understood. And it's only fiberglass . . . far from the end of the world. If you don't want to tackle it yourself, I'm sure you can find a fiberglass guy who will do a great job.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

rnummi wrote:....He also went half in on the boat...
Well tell him the starboard half is his now!

Everyone has their own criteria as to what is worth filing an insurance claim for but if you intend to involve insurance now is the time, not when things get underway and the $$ exceeds what you were expecting.

Good luck, and like you said it could be worse, way worse.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

I agree... particularly since we have fixed every conceivable Albin 27 flaw except the hull deck joint. Looks like that project just moved to the head of the line. Sorry for the picture quality... its interesting to note on the detailed original pics the cracks that emanated from each location that a rivet was located. Also note the damage that extends back 2 feet down the joint from the point of impact. Also interesting forensically, is that it never pierced the inner liner. Here is the kismet purchase of all time... When I was ordering everything "Albin 27" that I could find after purchasing the boat, I ended up buying 40 feet of the OEM plastic "U" channel that fits over the hull deck joint. The chandlery in Ct. had picked it up from a Cos Cob boatyard that went out of business and was selling it for a dollar a foot to clear out their warehouse. I bought the whole lot. It appears that the actual rub rail didn't split or distort in any way.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Just came out of hibernation to read some of the threads here when I came across this one...

Sorry to hear of your Albin vs Piling woes. I think we all have had similar at least once in our boating careers. I know I have.

But something caught my eye: "The chandlery in Ct. had picked it up from a Cos Cob boatyard that went out of business..."

Might that Cos Cob boatyard have been Albin themselves? Weren't the A27's made in Cos Cob? And where is this chandlery you speak of? Seems like they might have more original parts than just rubrail.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

Nuts sorry to see that Rick.
I almost did the same to a chartered Trawler I forgot the shifter was 2 levers and shifted into reverse that was full throttle FWD. Still Dont know how I got away with that. So glad my Albin was changed to a single throttle and gear shift combo.
Don prehaps a bow thruster could have changed it to more of a glancing blow? But a good comment about going slower if you have a thruster. Investing in a thruster could be a better choice than trying to build a tug boat rail on an Albin.

The rub rail is still availble from Taco. Thru Hamilton marine .
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Jon B.
The cos cob sales site marina was recently demolished , probably going to put a condo and new docks.
Anybody local know what's happening?
image.png
image.jpeg
Good luck with repairs , get some photos after they cutout the damage so we can see what's behind!

Cheers Warren
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

Larbaby, I don't usually reply to a judgmental post quickly, but I'm making an exception in your case, and I'm going to give *you* a pass.

Rnummi has been a member of this forum for three years. You just got here. He has 526 posts on this board, and a long history of valuable, interesting, and amusing information. The community here knows that Rick was smiling when he said he was going to give his dad a pass. You don't know him at all, so you really wouldn't know.

I hope you'll re-think your rush to judgment.

Welcome aboard, by the way.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Wow your first post and it's of "spammer quality" - I guess the bright side is that they should only go up from here....
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Good morning everyone. Deep breath.

Let's not forget our very simple rules.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Nancy wrote:The community here knows that Rick was smiling when he said he was going to give his dad a pass. You don't know him at all, so you really wouldn't know.

I hope you'll re-think your rush to judgment.
Spot on and 100% correct! I've met both Rick and his Dad on numerous occasions and can tell you that the 'pass' isn't at all what larbaby imagines it to be - No doubt in my mind it was said over a cold beer with a chuckle and taken in that spirit - It's obvious when you see them together that Rick and his Dad are much closer than your average father/son

But . . . . that never stops those who don't know and can't comprehend the situation from logging onto a forum for the very first time to benefit us all with his/her sanctimonious comments. As your mother no doubt once told you, "If you can't say something nice, better to say nothing at all" - I would add that it's especially true when you don't have a clue what you're talking about

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”