• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Forward Hatch Gasket

Albin's "power cruisers"
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Forward Hatch Gasket

Post by Jay Knoll »

Hi everyone

Does anyone know the correct size for a replacement gasket for the forward hatch on a 27FC?

Thanks for the assistance

Jay
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Re: Forward Hatch Gasket

Post by JT48348 »

We've got to deduce the brand and model of the hatch.
Any idea?
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

I now know the source of the rusting staples attaching the cabin liner to the inside of the boat -- failed forward hatch bedding. This probably isn't news to Joe but I discovered the problem when I took the hatch off to re-bed it while I was looking for some information to purchase a replacement gasket. BTW I found a manufacturer's sticker on the hatch so I don't think I'll need the AOG brain trust to help me track down a gasket.

Anyway, the bedding was dry, cracked and there were gaps underneath the hatch. But perhaps more importantly I discovered that the liner was attached before the hatch was installed and the edge was wrapped around the hatch opening and left unsealed. So when water was forced underneath the hatch and got past the failed bedding it was absorbed by the liner which essentially is a thin sponge. The so called "bedding" was in such poor shape that I think it was cheap house caulk. Other than a thin layer which stuck to the hatch surround, most of it flaked off in large chunks.

Anyway, cleaned everything up and re-bedded with butyl tape. When I install the new gasket I'll test everything with a hose, but at least for now things are better than they were.
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

But of course things didn't work out. I ordered a new gasket from Bomar (who purchased the Pompanette line) The hatch is obsolete and they send their best guess for a replacement gasket. Of course when I installed it and did the hose test there was water inside the boat. I bit the bullet and bought a replacement hatch from Marine Connection Bomar. But it didn't fit the opening because of a "repair" done at the factory. It appears that the original hatch opening was cut too large, and a big mess of mat/fiberglass was put in the corner to fill the gap. The old plastic hatch fit but the new bomar was too big by a hair. When I was filing down the fiberglass the repair sheared off, it looked like it had never been properly bonded to the surrounding deck. Fabricate a piece of teak to fill the gap, west system it in, fill remaining gap with 3M Marine fairing compound. You know the drill...

Anyway it is now safely in place. I forgot to bring the hatch number home with me, I'll get the information in case anyone else has to replace theirs
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

Here is a pic of the label for the replacement hatch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

Thanks for info Jay.
I think you clearly identified the way the boat was made, the liner was installed and then everything was attached. Like portlites, hatches, lights etc. but since the liner was sandwiched under every thru deck fitting as the liner compressed it loosened up all the fittings allowing them to leak , rot the wood and everything gets looser , leaks more etc.

I have a slightly different plan for my for hatch, I'm installing a low profile roof top air conditioner. We will see! Not sure how much of the of the hatch to leave or any part at all. Probably not.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
wascomat
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Hudson

Post by wascomat »

Any plans for the aft cabin air conditioner?

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”