• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

AC and DC boat wiring

Albin's "power cruisers"
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

AC and DC boat wiring

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi everyone I hope late winter is treating everyone well. I got side tracked. My boat didn't have 120 volt AC so I'm installing that. Looking for ideas on where to install the power cord from the dock and the pannel. I'm leaning towards as your going down companion way in forward cabin on wall of closet. Then running wires on the inside of closet. Do you think you would hit it as you went down steps. I looked at Jays install above closet door I liked that but don't feel like building a new door. Any thoughts thanks Chris
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Re: AC and DC boat wiring

Post by Jay Knoll »

Hi Chris

I didn't build a new door (other than putting new veneer on it) it is the original size, I just dropped the hinges down a bit to get clearance for the new panel.

I'm not sure what you're driving at regarding the "will you hit it going down the companionway" comments. Are you thinking of putting the shore power receptacle in the wall of the hanging locker? Mine is midships on the port side underneath the pilothouse window. The wiring from that receptacle goes thru the engine room and the bulkhead at the back of the hanging locker and then up to the distribution panel. I really don't think you would want a power cord draped over the cockpit and then down the companionway on a permanent basis.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi Jay I shouldn't ask questions and post so late at night. You are right I was not very accurate on my question. I just wrote a response and I lost it somewhere. The AC shore power supply will most likely come in where yours does. I was just wondering if someone else had a better place. I can't put the pannel where yours is not enough room. Different builds I guess. That's why I thought you rebuilt your door. I'm thinking of putting it as you go down the steps high up on the right just thought you might brush up against it. But think it the only place. You will have access to the back of it from the closet. Thanks Chris enjoy the weather down in sunny Florida winter came back here
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

The wall of the hanging locker would be an excellent place - Great access from behind and I really doubt you'll bump anything going in and out of the cabin

My early boat had everything (AC and DC panels) on the bulkhead to the left as you went down the steps, above the icebox and I really regret not moving it all to the hanging locker. By the time I was finished adding more breakers, a panel with AC and DC voltmeters and switching for the generator, that bulkhead was solid panels from top to bottom and the maze of wiring behind it was just about impossible to service - I had to remove the entire panel to get to anything

I never really liked where the inlet power socket was either, but moving it would have left a hole in the cabin. It was difficult plugging and unplugging with one hand while hanging on and trying not to fall in the drink!

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I can't comment on A27 location specifics since I'm an A25 guy, but here's a good primer on marine electrics in general.

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/ ... ng-Systems

I can comment in that in 2015 I re-worked the antiquated AC system on my A25, along with tidying up my DC distrubution panel wiring. That said, I would recommend installing a double pole ELCI main breaker with reverse polarity detector to bring things up to AYBC standards, installing a galvanic isolator as close to the shore power connector as possible inline with the AC green safety ground wire and tie that AC green wire to the DC negative ground bus bar for house circuits. Double pole main breaker means that it can trip both the hot and neutral side of the circuit, which in case of reverse polarity is a good thing, since a single pole breaker only trips the hot side, which means in case of reversed polarity would mean only the neutral side would trip and you'd still have an energized hot side.

Here's the type of ELCI Blue Sea Systems AC distribution panel I used
8101.jpg
In this photo (click on photo for enlarged veiw) you can see the galvanic isolator (black box) at lower left, and at far upper right you can just barely see where green AC safety ground ties to the main DC house circuit negative bus bar. The shore power connector outlet is just out of view above and to the left of this picture on the wheelhouse wall. The yellow wire at top center then connects the DC ground bus bar directly to the house battery bank negative post, which in turn is also tied to the start battery ground and engine block. All this is on the aft wall of the head compartment.
20161220_152549 (1024x576).jpg
It's always difficult to find a good place to mount that AC panel, and I can't help you on that with an A27, but here's what my set up looks like in a dry location under the helm station. Since I couldn't come up with a better location I used a water proof plastic junction box & cut out an opening in the face plate of correct size to accommodate the panel & still be able to access the breakers. Be sure to use marine grade boat cable!
DSCN3410 (1280x960).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

Thanks all for the replies. Desert Albin that's the pannel I got. The detailed pictures where great. I haven't gotten a galvanic isolator yet. I guess I'll put the power supply outlet below the pilot house windows and reach it from the cockpit. The pannel will go where Beta Don suggested. Thanks everyone
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

If you are going to be rewiring then behind the companion way door in the wall of the hanging locker makes so much more sense.
Getting to the back of the wiring over the galley is a PITA!
The other option of in the fiberglass over the 'glove box' is ok but exposed to weather more.
Cheers Warren
Pics to prove it!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”