• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27/25 Helm Thread: What Does Your A27/25 Helm Look Like?

Albin's "power cruisers"

How do you like your helm instruments organized?

High, keeps my dash clean
67%
Low, everything in one place
No votes
No instruments, no problems
No votes
Portable, and thrown in a box
33%

Total votes: 3

JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

A27/25 Helm Thread: What Does Your A27/25 Helm Look Like?

Post by JT48348 »

This is the A27/25 Helm Thread where we can see what your helm station looks like. Post a photo of your helm station here, not to be confused with the A27 Radar Thread or choosing what type of specific brand electronics suite. This thread is only about helm organization and layout: where to mount the gear, switches, and layout.

I'm looking ahead at how to organize my helm since I have free reign for new electronics, engine panel, etc. I'd be interested to hear your lessons learned and what you might add or change from your setup. Do I mount electronics high (from the ceiling) or low from the helm countertop? I like the idea of an uncluttered countertop, but I want to see what you have.

Right now I have a large binacle compass, vhf, stereo, and a gps unit I may reuse. I plugged all my extra holes in the dash and will mount the new engine panel, running light switches, etc on the dash in the old spot. I'm coming up with a list of switches that need to be accessible from the helm, as well as the gauges needed on the engine panel or in the vincity. Send your lists!

What do you have?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: A27/25 Helm Thread: What Does Your A27/25 Helm Look Like

Post by Beta Don »

. . . . or, option #5, nav instruments, depth instruments and other things you need to look at every few seconds right in front of you and then radios and other things you seldom ever need to look at up high against the overhead so they don't clutter up space on the dash needed for more important things

I had the stereo, the VHF, the wiper controls, the horn button, the searchlight controls and an analog 100 amp ammeter (which showed the alternator output) arranged in a long, wide 2 1/2" high 'cabinet' hung directly above the helm. The GPS, both depth finders, the autopilot, the bow thruster control and the engine gauges right in front of me. The old, trusty compass which I never looked at was on the centerline, forward near the opening center window. If both GPS's bit the dust, I could still use it to make a course, but it was a ways away from everything else so it (hopefully) wasn't affected by all the electronics
Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Photos are required for this thread

Here's a couple off current A27 listings. I can see a few things I'd change. Someone did a very nice helm refit a while ago and I can't seem to find the photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
changer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hutchinson Island, FL

Post by changer »

IMG_0558.JPG
'85 A27 FC Keeper
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Thanks Changer! What switches do you have at your helm there?
Binford
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Port Orchard, WA

Post by Binford »

Reading the switch labels, it appears to be: Wipers, VHF/Plotter, Running Lights, Anchor Lights, Search Light, Compass Light. To the right is a horn button and below the switch panel is a bilge pump switch. Clean setup.
-- Tim Taylor
1980 Glasply 19-1/2' cuddy hardtop w/Mercruiser 470 I/O
1982 Glasply 16' runabout w/ 2-stroke 50hp Mercury O/B
Quiet admirer, and possible future owner, of an Albin 27FC
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

You have better eyes than I do. Thanks
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Post by TorreyWP »

Bare bones A27 helm:

Nissan engine panel with gauges, fuel gauge, bilge pump control, wiper and lights on panel. Horn under shift and throttle controls, tabs to the left of the wheel. Old (but accurate to gps) "digital" depth and speed units to the left. A stereo and vhf behind the locking box under fancy depth and speed units.

I use a cellular iPad air with Navionics chart app when venturing out on the Great Lakes, allows me to have current charts with cool stuff like weather overlays and NOAA/USCG alerts. Also it props up nicely between the Nissan gauges and the dash board.

No crazy guy with hole saw yet!
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
mboatworks
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Traverse City, MI

Post by mboatworks »

Just dry-fitting the new helm now... Going to use individual rocker switches along the bottom, and a single digital display for the GPS, Radar, and engine gauges. (And I can not take credit for this woodwork, way beyond by skills)
MARC NUGENT
mboatworks@yahoo.com

A27 Express "Tortuga"
Melges 24 "Social Member"
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

This is a very clever idea. I was actually thinking of something very similar made of coosa board and sculpted then painted

Any chance you could make a paper pattern of the pieces?
changer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hutchinson Island, FL

Post by changer »

Yes good eyes... labels are as Binder stated. I also have Victron 12v battery management indicator and diesel fuel gauge.

best, changer
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Post by TorreyWP »

Marc, that helm is really slick! I second JT, if its at all possible for you to share some measurements. Please post pictures of the final install, its going to look great.

The helm in these boats is such a blank canvas, really interesting to see how others are customizing.

Torrey
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

So far all the helm stations shown in this thread are A27's. This is our A25 helm, being modeled by the lovely Starfleet Admiral, taken during our 2015 Erie Canal cruise. Besides the standard Yanmar engine panel, we have a Garmin 240 grayscale screen fish/depth finder and our Garmin GPSmap76Cx handheld GPS clipped into a RAM mounting bracket & wired into our 12V electrical system (so it doesn't have to run off the AA batteries). It's also loaded with Bluechart software, so we have electronic nautical charts of all US & Canadian coastal waters. Since it has such a small screen we also rely on paper charts. One thing I really like about the A25 helm station is the chart table shelf next to the helm. One can easily have a folded full size chart or a smaller chart atlas at one's fingertips at all times. Our antiquated Uniden VHF is mounted on the outboard side wall of the pilothouse below the window and is not visible in these photos. That radio is on my upgrade list for this year, since not only is it not DSC capable, it doesn't even get weather NOAA channels. Also not shown is a Ritchie B51 bracket mounted compass that was installed last year to the left of where the GPS is.
DSCN2486 (1280x960).jpg
This photo gives a better view of the built in chart table/dashboard.
DSCN2992 (1280x960).jpg
The white square seen on the lower part of the dashboard just to the left of the wheel is the old Raymarine GPS that came with the boat. It was a simple digital read out & kept losing signal constantly. These pictures were taken before my electrical system upgrade project. I removed that old GPS and the space is now occupied by this digital voltmeter that was an option that came with the new solar panel voltage controller. This meter gives continous readouts of hi, low, and actual voltage plus cumulative amp hours of house and start banks plus output voltage and amperage of the 20 watt solar panel (which can be switched on or off).
51ZmYN+nHfL._SX425_.jpg
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

TorreyWP wrote: The helm in these boats is such a blank canvas, really interesting to see how others are customizing.
I agree this really opens up possibilities for a refit
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

I'm leaning towards something that looks like this. Everything on the horizontal flat dash or the bulkhead behind wheel. Then stereo, VHF, radar/chart plotter overhead

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”