• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Steering Stiff

Albin's "power cruisers"
blackbird4
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Marathon

Steering Stiff

Post by blackbird4 »

Im new to this site,,its a wealth of information,we are looking to purchase a Albin 27 express.I noticed the steering was VERY stiff on the sea trail,im getting a survey of course, oil samples on tranny and motor, i found what appears to be the steering cable,i thought it might be hydraulic,is there another area where i should look,?oh the boat has a 78 hp yanmar 4JE-DTE,,..Cheers
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Re: Steering Stiff

Post by tego »

Most of our 27's started out with a steering cable and not a hydraulic system. I imagine some have converted but I still have the cable and am very satisfied with it - one finger with no strain at all. You can disconnect it at the rudder and if the rudder is easy, it must be the cable. It's not a major deal to replace the cable, but it's not easy either. A good negotiating point on the price. Your surveyor will note it I'm sure. Ben
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Post by coolchange »

If a cable..they can get corrosion crawling up into the cable making movement tough...I have used Corrosion Block for a lot of things..this and Rescue Tape are "must haves"...but get some of this and treat both ends ..soak em a few times and the cables will actually become corrosion free..it wicks into the cable over time...

This also works on copper wires that are having problems with conducting all it should...they get shiney way up under the plastic sleeve.

Might save replacement...or at least put it off for awhile..till you want an auto helm and need to get hydraulic steering.
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
blackbird4
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Marathon

Post by blackbird4 »

Tego ,,coolchange,,thanks for the advice.much a appreciate,
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

Had the same on my A25. Turned out (after much investigation of cables etc) to be seaweed on the rudder.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”