• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Chain locker bulkhead

Albin's "power cruisers"
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Chain locker bulkhead

Post by WillieC »

Panhdjoe is definitely onto something. We have the stock Delta with similar rode. The older I get the less fun it is yanking the anchor. Especially at 5 am from a dead sleep.

The three strand has a couple of nice hockles in it and needs assist when jamming it in the oval hole. My hand barely fits and I can slip in there and give the pile a push. But it works. As built, the existing shelf would not hold all chain without collapsing. And I don't see a lot of room for a windlass motor in there, but I understand different configurations exist. Deck mounted tackle box sounds good, but real estate up there is in great demand. I am holding out for hydraulic. Maybe next boat.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

I'm attaching some pictures of my new chain locker bulkhead covers. These are made to fit without any hardware, held in place by the brackets on the back. Made from sapele mahogany, gold lettering and graphics printed by a local sign shop ($25!) and finished with high gloss spar urethane. A simple and enjoyable project. Finally getting my boat to where I'm not embarrassed to share pictures of her.
20201014_125810.jpg
20201014_125934.jpg
20201014_125845.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

Wow nice and fancy too! Look very nice, Are you doing anything in the locker itself? Like waterproofing and drain?
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

I honestly didn't think about waterproofing yet, but I've painted the locker. My boat had some rotting plywood at the bottom, but it wasn't water tight, so it already drains to the bilge. I haven't replaced the rotted ply yet, but I need to add a board to protect the water inlet hose, and it will likely tie into the bottom board, which will be epoxy coated okoume with drain holes.

When I had the bulkhead off, I applied a couple of coats of polyurethane. I haven't cut a hole for a hause pipe yet; I need to make the bowsprit first. That's probably 2-3 months out.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”