• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Chain locker bulkhead

Albin's "power cruisers"
jerridsc
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Blanchardville, WI.

Chain locker bulkhead

Post by jerridsc »

Why, on an Albin 25, are there those two large openings in the panel at the chain locker? Do people want to keep an eye on that stuff or what?

Jerrids
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Chain locker bulkhead

Post by WillieC »

Actually mine have covers. Then again I have the DeLuxe Model, thank you very much. The hinges look like something on a child's jewelry box. Here's some pics: (Edit: Here ARE some pics: Watch out for Nancy! :D)
IMG_0713.JPG
IMG_0714.JPG
You have a blank canvas there. This area could use some work so use your imagination and let us admire your handiwork!

Hmm.. the plywood doesn't match and the holes have that edge liner material. So, Yes. You are supposed to look at that mess.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
jerridsc
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Blanchardville, WI.

Post by jerridsc »

Thank you Willie for the pics. I think I'll do what you have done. Still not sure why the original design leaves those portals so open.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Give serious thought to water containment there, and toss the three-strand rope. Mine is so hockled and salted it takes up way more room than necessary making it difficult to stow alone. And it is not terribly stout for all the weight it takes.
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

I removed the floor of the upper chamber in order to allow the rode to have a good clear free drop, now that have a windlass :) :) I didn't actually have any other use for the lower chamber. I considered Willie's plywood door solution but it just seemed so much work - the kind of work I am terrible at. So I convinced the Admiral to make fabric closures. Still waiting though. :(
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Sunsetrider wrote:So I convinced the Admiral to make fabric closures. Still waiting though. :(
Apparently, she's not quite convinced yet. :wink: Fabric does seem like an easy solution. It could be fastened with snaps or Velcro.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

jerridsc wrote:Why, on an Albin 25, are there those two large openings in the panel at the chain locker? Do people want to keep an eye on that stuff or what?
Is there any other access in case the chain or line gets fouled?
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

No, that is the chain access, unless you can crawl down the little hole with the $90 cover if you ever lose it when the toilet chain breaks. (I actually fixed the chain when I found out how much that cover cost!)
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

I lost mine and covered the hole with a windlass. :)
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Just a WAG...windlass cost more than the cover? (Still a very nice upgrade. I keep pondering a manual windlass but they are a bit rare and then one needs to match chain and on and on. Toilet chain? Just like me. Cheap.)
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

013.jpg
This is the front of my 25
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

Very elegant!
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
AdSurrey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hoo, Rochester

Post by AdSurrey »

It's an old thread but it's the best I could find regarding my current issue.

Firstly I have to say my old girl being an early/interim model has rather nice woodwork covering the chain lockers and all over actually, most of it is very pleasing to see.

However it would seem my chain runs through a tube in the middle of the upper locker straight to the lower and smaller locker. This means about 5 or more visits to the locker just to put the chain in due to the chain just piling/castling. Saltaway didn't clean it up well enough, but maybe I didn't soak it long enough.

Until I get a winch to ease my workout I am thinking of removing said tube and possibly the shelf seperating the two lockers to make life easier and also to make good use out of the lockers. I need advice here as to whether it's safe to do it? I can't see the tube being structural.

Also the chain that came with the boat is over 130ft long!!!!! I'm strong but no longer fit, working on that, and the over day I had to let out 100ft of it, that was a bitch to pull in the next morning lol!

I know I need to change that at some point, I like some advice on what I should get, how much chain and how much rope and type etc.

The pic is from about 12 years ago, before the guy I bought it from bought it.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

The pipe isn't structural. Does it thread into a fitting beneath the deck? Might be worth a try removing the pipe and dedicated the whole space forward of the bulkhead as an anchor locker.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

Mine has no pipe. I removed the shelf dividing the spaces when I installed the windlass, because I wanted a clear drop for the rode in order to avoid tangling. I want to produce a cover of some kind for the openings but have yet to get around to doing it.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”