• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 General Electric / Re-wiring Thread

Albin's "power cruisers"
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

A27 General Electric / Re-wiring Thread

Post by JT48348 »

This is the Albin 27 General Electrical / Re-wiring Thread where we can ask general Electrical and re-wiring questions. Not to be confused with the A27 Radar Threador the Duplex Wire Thread.

Such as:

Someone who's done a partial or full re-wiring of the A27, how much and what size wiring did you generally use? I want to consolidate my wiring costs and buy 1-2 types of wire on a roll and use for as much of the boat as possible. I'm trying to determine what size and length will work best/cheapest.

Instead of taking everything to the 12v panel, I'm thinking of running to bus-bars fore and aft? Has anyone done this? I'm thinking this will keep everything organized and facilitate adding items or building the system over time.

Has anyone had any experience with adjustable adhesive wire clips vs. screwed in permanent cable clips/ties. On my A27 I had both from previous owners/factory. Again I'm looking for something easy to install that allows the over all system to be added to at a later date.

Has anyone actually used a good crimping terminal tool, and if so is ratcheting, and if so which one?
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Re: A27 General Electric / Re-wiring Thread

Post by Sprig1 »

JT I would check out Pkys in Annapolis MD great prices free shipping over $45.00. He really helped me out a good person. On most items he beat everything on the web. Great price on wire. I have the Anchor chrimpors and really like them.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Gotcha. But how much wiring do you think I need? 100ft?
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

That's a good question. Where are you going to put your electrical panels. I put mine as you go down the companway on the right. Worked out well I can access them from closet. Took a lot of space in closet. How much AC amperage are you running? I got 54 feet of 12-3 for AC. I'm doing nothing fancy will let you know how that works out. 10 feet of 10-3 for AC supply nothing more then you need another switch or fuse. I got 200 feet of 16-2 probably to much running that for lights, electronics. I have a sub panel on helm ran 10/3 to that bought to much for AC. Get some bilge pump wire to. PKYS has free shipping over $45.00 so just buy the minimum you can get more. It's easy to spend $45.00. I'm sure this not much help sorry about that.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

My plan is to put my AC and 12v electrical panels inside the the port side bulkhead storage compartment in the pilothouse. I'm going to make a removable facing panel that fits inside the compartment. It will sit just inside compartment and the compartment will have smoked plexiglass doors.

Battery cables can be run from the engine room below.

I will have one 12v sub panel at the helm.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

JT48348 wrote:
Has anyone actually used a good crimping terminal tool, and if so is ratcheting, and if so which one?
A couple years back I photo-documented all of the tools I keep aboard so I have a few pics and info to share. Tools, especially hand tools, are somewhat personal preference items and everyone will have their favorites but here's my $0.02.

I've toyed with different crimpers over the years but I find these basic ones to be the best. When selecting crimping pliers it is important that they crimp on the opening side of the pivot, not behind the pivot back by the handles or they become nearly impossible to get into the tight workspaces we boaters have to deal with. These have nice long handles for leverage and a positive feedback feel which is important when making the crimp. I use them for nothing but crimping (no stripping or cutting) and only use them in that one spot where I have the arrow. Look at the crimp connector before making the crimp - if it has a seam, put the seam in the valley of the crimp tool, not under the dimple maker.
DSCN3139.JPG
This is my stripper of choice.
DSCN3142.JPG
This is my electrical "day-bag" that is always on the boat. I have bins of more supplies for projects but this is the "at-the-ready" bag...
DSCN3137.JPG
On another note, I recently installed 12V digital voltmeters for each battery bank. We made up the 4-position faceplate at my friend's engraving shop. They are homerun direct wired to each bank (+) and (-). A very simple and VERY valuable tool. I highly recommend you implement these into your DC plan. I have recently put together a full article about them for the Seaboard Marine website. Once the article goes live on the website I will post a link.
installed (02).jpg
installed (01).jpg
backside and wiring.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Crimping Tool Mod

Post by RobS »

Further to my post above regarding my favorite crimper:

When I completed my engine alarm project a couple seasons back I was using 22ga conductor. I was finding that the crimping tool "bottomed out" just as I was feeling good about the crimp pressure. So I wanted a tad more bite. Increased the crimp range by grinding down the inside of the handles allowing the jaws to close a tad tighter. As I mentioned above, I only use these to make the crimp so that stripping feature and such that was ground away was of no use anyway. Like I said, hand tools become very "personalized"...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

JT48348 wrote:Gotcha. But how much wiring do you think I need? 100ft?
That would be a good amount to start with. I used about that much 12/2 when I rewired mine, but then I didn't use 12 gauge wire for very many things - Only the higher current devices. You can take rough measurements for what you think you'll need and add 25% more and you'll probably be pretty close

I used 10 gauge wire from my solar panels to the regulator and from the regulator to the batteries. Also 10 gauge from the main panel to the sub panel under the helm. I used 8 gauge from the 40 amp smart charger to the batteries. 12/3 tinned marine wire for all the AC wiring, except for one length of 10/3 from the power outlet to the main breaker panel

I used LED lights for everything, including all new running and anchor lights - Don't think I had a single filament light aboard. I had PWD dimmers on several of the lights - They reduce the current draw even more and you get the exact amount of light you desire. Since the LED's use so much less power, I used double insulated 18 gauge speaker wire (a red and black conductor inside a common gray sheath) for all my lighting and also for the battery monitoring system and the wiring for the tank gauges for the freshwater and holding tanks. All together I used about 250 feet of the 18/2

I soldered every single connection I made - Didn't crimp anything. I've rewired half a dozen boats over the years (for pay) and always solder every connection. If you're using 100% tinned wire, crimping is perfectly fine, but in a marine environment if you're not always dealing with tinned wire, soldering makes a much more reliable connection. I have worked on several very high end boats over the years and you would be surprised how few of them came from the factory with tinned marine wire

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

Don
As you are a 'pro soldered connector guy' I'm sure you are 100% correct. My issue with soldering is its such a Pita. I have never figured out how to do it the quick and easy way ( if there is one) even doing it on the bench I always need 3 hands , 4 would be better espically with older stiff springy wire. Keeping the wire, hot soldering tip, fitting or connector and fresh solder wire for fitting when hot all in the same place is impossible for my fat fingers , it's crazy hard......what am I doing wrong? As for doing the same inside an access locker in the dark ... AAAGH!

It make me appreciate why it took my old Dad 3 months to rewrite a Lancaster bomber during the Berlin air lift!
Cheers
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

I probably shouldn't admit this, but . . . . I find holding a length of solder in my teeth frees up both hands and makes it a much simpler job :shock:

If I'm not here next week and you hear I died of lead poisoning . . . . well, that wasn't the brightest idea, now was it? :lol:

I have a few different lights I use in confined spaces - I can't see a darned thing in the dark . . . . I've got a pretty bad case of glaucoma

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
J0k3r
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland, OR

Post by J0k3r »

Warren,
I use this little item when soldering connectors. It provides the extra set of hands, but yes soldering is still a pain either way.
I think I bought it at Harbor Freight.
20170403_091819.jpg
Forty Six & 2
1984 49 Tri-Cabin
Twin Volvo TAMD40A
Portland, OR
http://mvfortysixandtwo.com
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

Hi I have the same tool ...... But it only really works on the bench and again takes a while to get set up just right.....
I though Don was going to have a magic trick but it's not just me , soldering is a PITA.
Also recently my fingers lock up and loose feeling if I hold tools for too long that really mess thinks up.
I think ill try the mouth hand trick...... I have used this solder holder that stand up so I can touch the fitting to the solder when practical.
Cheers
Prehaps I need to google it!

So I looked at a few YouTube video
This was not bad if a bit long
https://youtu.be/Zu3TYBs65FM
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”