• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

The A27 AutoPilot SportPilot Thread

Albin's "power cruisers"
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

The A27 AutoPilot SportPilot Thread

Post by JT48348 »

Who's running one of these as their autopilot? I saw an old post from Smacksman, anyone else besides me and him?

From the boats I've seen, I suspect these were common in Albin 27s, although perhaps not very effective. Looks like this was a relatively inexpensive autopilot solution for boats 27' or less at 7k lbs. This unit is no longer in production, but it's a helm mounted electro/mechanical autopilot, came in a couple variations under a couple of brands most notably Raymarine. They're all basically the same.

I have an Autohelm Sportpilot, the fluxgate compass, and what appears to be a Raymarine St6000 control unit display.

I've tested the flux compass which seems ok. The sportpilot powers up and beeps. I connected the sportpilot to the control unit, and the compass to control unit but I have no idea how to operate it. I've got all the manuals but it's like 100 pages and there's no real overview.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: The A27 AutoPilot SportPilot Thread

Post by dkirsop »

I have a Sport Pilot + in my Albin 25. It is essentially the same unit with a slightly more powerful motor. Initially I had problems with it which turned out to be a loose connection where the power cord plugs into the unit. Once fixed, it worked but sometimes had to hunt in order to hold a course. Since then I have connected it to my GPS which greatly improves course holding.

Occasionally it requires linearization of the compass. This is best done with two people - one reading the steps out from the manual and the second controlling the boat.

I find it really useful as it frees me up to use the binoculars or check the chart while under way; also I can check out the surrounding scenery from time to time. If you fish it is very useful for holding course while you set your lines.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Do you have it connected to a control unit or display?
And how are you connecting it to the GPS? I'm assuming it's via the NMEA cables which are part if the power cord?
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

It is connected to the GPS via the NEMA cable. Other than that I only have the flux gate compass connection to the autopilot. It didn't come with a display unit and I am not sure it would be of any use.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

I spoke with Raymarine and determined the following:

-the ST6000 control unit is really a display that allows minor adjustments to course and also tells you the direction you're traveling.

-the fluxgate compass is connected to the Sportpilot at the back, not the ST6000 unit. The ST6000 is just an auxiliary controller/display
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Also, my fluxgate compass came with the plug missing on the wire to the Sportpilot. On the back of the Sportpilot there's a spot for the "compass" plug which is a 5 pin Raymarine plug. You can wire this without the plug using 2.5mm automotive spade terminals.

The wire from the Fluxgate compass is 5 colors: blue, yellow, green, red, and silver(shield). The colors match to the pin position on the back of the Sportpilot as such:

Looking at the "compass" plug spot on the back of the Sportpilot there's 3 pins to the left and 2 to the right. Starting at the top left and going down the colors are: blue, green, silver. The two pins on the right top to bottom are: red and yellow.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

I have just removed the Sportpilot from "Mazboot". I have never used it, and suspect the PO didn't either. The control stalk is damaged, but the rest of the unit seems sound. There is a compass, installation kit and head unit and everything else you need to install.

It seems that this may be the only system that is appropriate for the 25/27s. That said, I will no doubt be quietly researching alternatives (Anyone have ideas on that?) and may get around to fitting something more modern in the future. Until then, my better half is a very good substitute to an autopilot (Can hold a course just as well)

That said, I have a fairly well-kept Sportpilot in need of TLC and a new home , that I will be putting on Craigslist or in the Herrington Harbor yard sale this year. So if you need parts for your Sportpilot, PM me.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

PM sent
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Replied to PM - Let's talk
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Hobbit
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pleasant Harbor, WA USA

Post by Hobbit »

I am running an Autohelm 4000 sailboat autopilot. I had one in my previous 37' Irwin and figured my 27FC has about the same motoring characteristics. It works just about the same. Good, not great performance but for 300$ I love it.
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sold in New Orleans

Post by smacksman »

On Free State the SportPilot compass was mounted in the table seat/locker just across from the galley. Although the manual advises mounting it low down I think it would have been less affected by metals if it was mounted high up on the heads bulkhead by the door so just as close to the center line as it was in the locker. Albin 27's don't heel much in autopilot weather.
The SportPilot didn't work very well for me but then I didn't spend much time fiddling with it.
1983 Albin 27fc 'Free State' with Lehman 4D61- now sold.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Picked up a second Sportpilot+ to allow me to figure out its inner workings in the comfort of my basement. Both my old unit and the one i bought had shot stalks but i found a guy selling copies of the service manual so i digged in to the one I picked up. The ribbon cable has 6 leads and connects with a 0.050 pitch connector. I happened to have some 0.036” PCB sheet do i cut a piece that had the right width. After inserting it an mucking with it it was quite easy to scrape the copper to make a connector. I'm thinking of either 3d print a new stalk or possibly make a cable connected box separate from the unit with long enough cable so i can steer standing behind the seat. The unit actually works without the stalk. It will just run on the lowest gain when it gets power but it will hold heading.

If anyone has a fluxgate for it I would love to buy it so i can make my hack unit work. My next thing is a NMEA 0183 wifi box so i can run autopilot from iNavX
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Lockerman
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: New Bern NC

Post by Lockerman »

how do you test the fluxgate? My just purchased A27 has ST6000 and Smartpilot computer. When powered up, display shows "no data"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

No data typically means that you put it in NAV and you don’t have the gps feeding it the proper nmea sentences.

Easiest way to test the fluxgate is to turn it on in non gps mode and bring a piece if steel near the fluxgate. That makes it start turing.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

http://www.uchimata.fr/wp-content/uploa ... nglish.pdf

I think the connection between the course computer and tge st6000 is bad. Look at last page in this manual. It references “ the navigator”. Im thinking that must be the course computer.
Last edited by tribologist on Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”