• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Replacement for Sherwood K 90 water pump on 155 Isuzu

Albin's "power cruisers"
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Replacement for Sherwood K 90 water pump on 155 Isuzu

Post by Jay Knoll »

Hi everyone

Pardon the duplicate post, but I want to make sure that someone who might have some information reads this! :D

The water pump on my engine may not be able to be rebuilt. I understand that the Sherwood K 90 water pump has been discontinued. While there are rebuild kits available, if the pump can't be rebuilt I am in trouble! Does anyone know a source for a used pump? I've been scouring the internet to no avail. I've contacted Sherwood to ask if there is another pump that can be used as a replacement but if they say "no" I'm not going to be a happy camper

Thanks for the assistance

Jay
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: Replacement for Sherwood K 90 water pump on 155 Isuzu

Post by Beta Don »

PumpVendor.com still has their listing for one - $500 Ouch!! They may not be able to actually get you one, but usually if they still have the listing, they have the pump available

http://www.pumpvendor.com/Sherwood_K-90_K90.html

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

Jay
You can change to an electric water pump. They are super reliable and can be positioned in a much easier place to service . Same as electric fuel feed pumps, super reliable.
5 gal per minute is what you are looking for.
They use them all the time on race engines, ( that cost way more than our old engines!)
There is a video
https://youtu.be/b9M9hNbVk2I
That shows some interesting modifications for marine engines.
Cheers Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

I think the reason that almost every manufacturer uses engine driven raw water pumps is because you need to insure that no water is being pumped when the engine isn't running, otherwise you risk filling up your waterlift muffler and backfilling the engine through the open exhaust valves. Also, it's common sense that an engine running near max RPM will need much more cooling water than an engine which is idling, so some method of adjusting the water flow to engine RPM would be needed. An engine driven pump solves both of these problems automatically

If you were to go with an electric pump, you would also need an interlock to make sure the pump cannot run when the engine isn't running. Typically, this is done with an oil pressure switch, so that even if the key is in the 'ON' position, the pump can't run unless there is oil pressure which means the engine is actually running

If and when you switch, make sure you have a foolproof interlock arrangement so that you don't risk ruining your engine, otherwise it will eventually happen

All in all, I can't think of any reason why I would switch from a mechanical pump driven by the engine to an electric one . . . . especially one which can only pump the same volume of water at max RPM that it pumps at idle

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

ASAP Supplies in England, asap.co.uk do a Sherwood repair kit. Sherwood 10615K...But this seems to be a new impellor and the gaskets. The firm is nothing to do with me but I have used them many times and they have always been helpful. Hope this may help.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”