• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

have a number of boats, but not a trawler style vessel

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
too many boats
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: home

have a number of boats, but not a trawler style vessel

Post by too many boats »

I would really appreciate someone with a wealth of knowledge that I could learn the good, bad and in between of the Albin vessels. I am at the age that I don't have the time nor money to make a mistake on a purchase.

this would be some of the items I would like answers to concerning the 27 footer with the aft cabin.

what years are the best (the factory has taken care of a lot of problems)
are there years that the vessels were bad about deck and port problems (voids, soft spots etc.)
the best engine to buy (I know I wouldn't have a choice, but between two and a better engine of the two would be the smart choice, at least I would know which engine is better)

I think you have the idea, would be grateful for all the help that is available
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Re: have a number of boats, but not a trawler style vessel

Post by Sprig1 »

I don't know if I'm the one to comment here. I have a1984 27 with the aft cabin. If you have the money get one where the previous owner did a lot off work already. I have rebuilt the entire boat except engine and drive train and I'm sure that's going to blow up when I use it. Usually my luck. I over payed for mine. It's almost complete now and ready to go into the water. Everyone from the Albin group is great. Get one with a newer motor people never seem to get there money out when they put a new motor in. Hope this helps
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

here is a link that might be of help
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=8539
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Sprig1's experience almost exactly mirrors mine with our A25. Still I am fine with all the 'experience' I am receiving. I will know every nut and bolt in this boat, including the engine. And, like Sprig1, my transmission may blow up as soon as we splash, considering the condition of everything else on the boat.
Soon we will be back on the water, and that is the whole point. It won't be perfect, but it will be extremely dependable. Priceless in my opinion.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi Willie it's been fun working on the Albin I have learned a lot to much in fact. I quit my job last November thinking I would have it done in a months or two wrong. People on the board told me it would take longer boy where they right. I guess the best advice is find a boat that someone has put hundreds of hours into and most projects are done and you want pay much more then for a beater.
Are we suppose have fun on the water in these boats😀. I was wondering what the end result was.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Many boats, I recommend you look for a 27 built after mid-87. Mine is an 87(hull #302 I think) and the factory made some great changes at that time. The head has more room on the pot, the helm cabinet is mounted with hinges to make access to the instruments easier, the wheelhouse is more securely mounted to the cabin top, the hull layup is heavier on the keel, the bulkheads are tabbed to the hull better, the stringers are much stronger (to accept the larger engines) and the engines are larger,though I'm not sure that the bigger engine was a better idea. The available space in the ER is much less, so harder to access things. The bigger engine only gets you about 2 extra knots over the smaller 4-banger. The hull speed is the same for all of them, so faster mostly means thirstier if you want to go over that. The advice the other guys are giving is very valid. If you get an older boat, find one that a good owner has gone thru and fixed the previous shortcomings. That being said, I love mine and can't think of another vessel I'd trade her for. It's perfect for a retired old fart like myself. Ben
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

You have gotten some spot on answers to your questions. I for one lean to a re-power with an up to date engine that has parts availability. No you will not get your money back on the upgrade, but we bought our boat to use and enjoy. We have plans on the loop and the near islands off the Florida coast, do not want to have to worry about repairing the old Nissian. My two cents, and welcome to the form.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Welcome: You have had some good advise for your search. Having purchased way to many boats all of which needed additions to fit my personal perference I can say get one someone else has done the work on. You will always spend more than the boat is worth so if there is one already up to speed that is the best choice.
The 25' & 27 Classic are both fine boats.
Howard

Return to “New Member Introductions”