• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Member from Elkton, MD

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Jealoussky
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Elkton, MD

New Member from Elkton, MD

Post by Jealoussky »

Hi Everyone,

Jealous Sky here.

We joined this Owners Group on the 24th of June and just now getting a moment to say hello.

I have not had a chance to peek around the site much because when I first signed on, I was looking for the most knowledgeable help with an electrical failure that solely supplies battery power to my Yanmar diesel generator, windless and bow thruster, and thought this would be the best place to get advise to look for the place that I kept missing.

Our story is, we are the new owners, as of March this year, of a beautiful, much loved and well maintained 1985, Albin 36' Trawler, powered by a single inboard 130hp Ford Lehman Diesel.

We live in Elkton, MD and took possession of the boat while she was still dry docked in Green Cove Springs, FL. Though the story is quite sad of how we came to purchase and take ownership, we aren't surprised by the many who have seen her before or knew of the previous owners. Shortly after taking possession, my wife and I flew our selves and my 86 year old father, and 4 young children (that we have brought into our family and who had never been on a boat) down to Jacksonville, FL, drove to the stores, then the boat, stocked her up and all 7 of us started our "Rookie" journey North up the St. Johns River, the ICW and into our home waters of the Chesapeake Bay.

Perhaps one of the greatest experiences of our lives, 144 engine hours later, we uneventfully and safely arrived in our home port in the Big Elk River in Elkton, MD.

We are looking forward to many more long memory making cruises and chatting with other Albin owners and hoping to someday meet up and cruise with some of you.

As for the electrical problem that brought me to find this site, I solved it after thinking, "I never did cycle...could it possibly be corrosion on the battery selector switch?) only to find that simply cycling the, (forward engine compartment wall mounted battery selector switch) a few times would clean up the contacts and solve the issue.

Greetings to all readers,
Jealous Sky

P.S. As a private pilot and Cessna 172 owner, since we purchased the Albin 36, the skies have been terribly jealous of us spending all our free time on the water.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: New Member from Elkton, MD

Post by WillieC »

So glad to hear your electrical problem was so easily solved. You need to buy an older boat just for the fun of it! Now I'm the jealousguy.

Yes the cycling thing is important. In my former life as an electrician, occasionally we would get calls out to automatic transfer switches that were malfunctioning. I remember one that had not been exercised in so long that the nylon cams that are crucial to proper operation had flattened over the years and were no longer engaging their respective contacts. That took a bit of sleuthing as one would not ordinarily suspect that. Good on you for doing some basic PM!

Happy boating, and welcome aboard again.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Welcome: Very happy all went well on your first adventure of your new boat. Very courageous first outing. A lot to offer on this fine site. We look forward to your boating sharing.
Howard
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

Congrats on the new to you boat, and welcome to the family. Sounds like a great trip. I would have been as nervous as the provable long tail cat making that much of a trip in a boat I was not familiar with. I'm glad it worked out soo well, enjoy a great boat.
shub2191
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chesapeake City, MD

Post by shub2191 »

Always happy to hear that there are new Albin owners in the Northern Bay. We just bought our Albin 28TE "Osprey" last September and keep it on the Bohemia at Two Rivers. Will keep an eye out for you! Very ambitious 1st run, I am truly impressed!
4945.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Steve & Susan Hubbell
"Osprey"
2004 Albin 28TE
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Welcome aboard! How exciting! If we were to ever move up in size the Albin 36 trawler would be our next choice. Fall on the Chesapeake should be real nice.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

Glad you have found us, great to have another 36 aborad.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki

Return to “New Member Introductions”