• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Member - Albin 28 TE - Juneau, Alaska

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
DannyB
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Juneau, Alaska

New Member - Albin 28 TE - Juneau, Alaska

Post by DannyB »

Hello All!

I am the proud owner of an Albin 28 Tournament Express, and found my way to this site during my search for information across the vast internet. Moku Iki leaks and squeaks in a few places, but with a recent OEM Yanmar replacement and a solid hull she's got strength where it's the most needed.

Last year I got to take her out for two weeks and explore Southeast Alaska in all her precipitous glory....and discovered that the ol' girl isn't quite as rainproof as she once was. It appears that the stanchion bases have been leaking (No! you don't say! :D ) and the intruding moisture has rotted out the thin wood battens that the interior upholstery is stapled and screwed to. So basically a good portion of the interior fake-leather and foam upholstery needs to be removed, new (not-so-rot-prone) batten material re-installed, and a new interior put in.

Anybody else have this problem? I'm considering just removing everything and just leaving the bare fiberglass (I'll paint it, of course) as the boat lives in a rather wet environment, I'm not a big fan of "luxury" interiors, and contracting out the upholstery work will probably set me back $3k or so.

Thank you for your time,

Danny

Last edited by DannyB on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Re: New Member - Albin 28 TE - Juneau, Alaska

Post by Mark Deeser »

Welcome Danny, sure one good looking boat. We went through the same thing with our 27 FC. Replaced wood , treated it with Thompson water seal , new insulation, all new.port gaskets. Got a much dryer boat. We took our time and carefully removed headliner around window area, then re stapled, came out pretty nice, out of pocket about 200 dollars. Oh replaced window screens. Hope you find what works best for you.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: New Member - Albin 28 TE - Juneau, Alaska

Post by DCatSea »

Danny et al - that's a nice looking 28TE, and you are in great waters for her.
There is much to be said for Thompson's Water Seal. I use it on all new wood, regardless of location; actually I probably overuse it. I like the fact that it comes in brush-mode or spray can.
Note: I also LOVE shrimp, especially off the grill - second only to oysters (as they come).
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03

Return to “New Member Introductions”