• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Newbie from Midway Island

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
zugbug99
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Phoenix, Arizona

Newbie from Midway Island

Post by zugbug99 »

Hi I am looking for a Albin 25 to complete the USA Great Loop, and then further travels to British Columbia and Alaska.
I am currently working a seasonal job in Midway Island 28.12.7N 177.21.6W
We are just a few km from the International Date Line.

I would appreciate hearing from other Albin owners about their boats!

There is a Albin 25 for sale in Rochester NY that I am considering making a offer on.

Thank you for your time!
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Newbie from Midway Island

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Welcome aboard! Midway Island, JN25 code name 'AF'. (Bit of WWII history trivia). Search 72 Terramar Del Rey on YouTube & you'll see some of our cruises, East coast & Pacific NW. See my private email reply. If it's the boat listing I think it is, looks like a keeper.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

I think that Albin sold to the guy who just joined above this post
zugbug99
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by zugbug99 »

Well it’s been almost 5 years. The Albin 25 that I was looking to purchase in New York sold before I could coordinate with the broker.
So I bought a sailboat in Michigan, a sturdy Nor’sea 27 and sailed Lake Huron, Georgian Bay, North Channel, Lake Michigan, Green Bay, and Western Lake Erie.
Father Time and Arthritis are making it tough to continue sailing, so I’m reconnecting with the group to learn more about Albin 25, and Albin 27 FC.
In the short future, I think I will transition to a trawler as a liveaboard and put my sailing days behind me.
Please be patient when I ask silly questions.
Thank you! Mike
Jestark
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cocoa beach fl

Post by Jestark »

Saw that you spent time on Midway. I spent a year on Kure Island, 50 miles west of Midway...a long long time ago. Welcome aboard!
zugbug99
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by zugbug99 »

Wow! Kure has a very small history of visitors. We’re you there as a student intern for USFWS?
I spent three 6 month rotations on Midway as the Medical officer. 2017-2020.
Great memories! Laysan and Blackfoot lover for life!
If only boating was permitted by FWS, it would have been a perfect place.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Nor'Sea 27...now that's an interesting boat. From 2001 to 2005 I owned a Montgomery 15 pocket cruiser sailboat. In 2003 I trailered it from Phoenix out to Marina Del Rey in Los Angeles to sail out to Catalina Island with other trailer sailors from our local club. Afterwards on the drive back to Phoenix I stopped by the small Montgomery Boats factory in Ontario, CA where the Nor'Seas were built at the time & met the proprietor Bob Eeg. On other occasions I had met Jerry Montgomery, the original builder of Montgomery sailboats before he sold the molds to Eeg. As I recall, wasn't the Nor'Sea a Lyle Hess design?
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

It was a Hess design. Way back in the dark ages I did some drafting for Lyle on the Bristol Channel Cutter. He was a superb designer. His Bristol Channel & Falmouth Cutters are great little boats and much faster than they look.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Ben, that's awesome! You knew Lyle Hess? Anyone who knows anything about classic sailboats has heard of Lyle Hess.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
zugbug99
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by zugbug99 »

Ben how amazing to work with such a legend! Thanks for helping draft the BCC 28. I have hull 110, Morning Light. Home port in Sault Saint Marie (The Soo), but stored last winter outside Detroit in Saint Clair Shores.
I just finished installing a Beta25hp with a Campbell sailor prop. I plan to take her to Western Lake Superior, Isle Royale, The Apostle’s, and Thunder Bay.
She’s a wonderful boat!
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Zugbugg99,

Small world! In 2020 dear friends of ours from Flagstaff, AZ bought a Southern Cross 31 cutter, another full keel double ender, in Bayfield, WI at the west end of Lake Superior. In July 2021 after exploring the Apostles they set off to sail across Superior, thru the Soo Locks, down Huron to Detroit, across Lake Erie to Erie Canal, drop the mast & transit the canal to Albany, re-rig & sail down Hudson River to NYC & on down the Eastern Seaboard. Sadly by the time they reached Bay City, MI they had to cut the trip short & lay up the boat there due to both health issues with the 72 years old skipper & mechanical issues with the boat's Yanmar 2QM20 engine. We were planning to trailer our A25 out to Tonawanda & meet up upon their planned arrival on the first week of August. They never made it, but we went ahead & did half of the canal before giving up due to foul weather & pulled in to Lake Onondaga near Syracuse, hauling out & trailering back to Phoenix.

Meanwhile our friends stored their boat on the hard until November, 2021 & then had it transported back to Lake Pleasant near Phoenix and spent the 2021-22 winter doing repairs & TLC projects before having it transported out to LaConner, WA where it's now home ported. They sailed Puget Sound & San Juans last summer.
20220720_091909.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Jestark
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cocoa beach fl

Post by Jestark »

zugbug99 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:21 pm Wow! Kure has a very small history of visitors. We’re you there as a student intern for USFWS?
I spent three 6 month rotations on Midway as the Medical officer. 2017-2020.
Great memories! Laysan and Blackfoot lover for life!
If only boating was permitted by FWS, it would have been a perfect place.
I was CO of the USCG Loran Station 1978-1979. 20 crew assigned. We had a couple of Boston Whalers and a 17' Hobie Cat. Snorkeled, waterskied, sailed, and fished the lagoon. Made the best of isolated duty!
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

My work with Lyle was very minor, but it was really exciting for me, as a young designer to spend some time with the master.

Return to “New Member Introductions”