• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hi! New member with old Albin 36

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
davb1947
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Joseph, MI

Hi! New member with old Albin 36

Post by davb1947 »

My name is Dave. My wife and I just bought a 1979 Albin 36. Her name will be Molly, after my mom. We are old sailors facing reality reluctantly. (We’re keeping the sailboat.) I’ve got lots of questions and huge anxieties about taking on so many mechanical systems (twin engines, genset, hydraulics, etc.). I’m sure I’ll be a pain in your butts asking newbie questions. Thanks in advance for your patience.
Dave
Albin 36
Molly
Cocoa Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Canaveral, Fl.

Re: Hi! New member with old Albin 36

Post by Cocoa Jack »

Welcome aboard. I'm new here but there is a lot of other people on this forum with a lot of knowledge.
Capt. Jack
Port Canaveral, Fl.
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

Welcome Dave, your story sounds a lot like ours, but we sold the sailboat. Our Albin was our first power boat. We made a plan, took it one step at a time hired help when we needed it and read a whole lot. This form was a great asset, followed old threads, ask a lot of questions. We are in our third year of a complete rebuild, can actually see the light at the end. Enjoy the journey and your boat. Why not send some pictures and let us follow along?
davb1947
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by davb1947 »

Mark Deeser wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:29 pm Welcome Dave, your story sounds a lot like ours, but we sold the sailboat. Our Albin was our first power boat. We made a plan, took it one step at a time hired help when we needed it and read a whole lot. This form was a great asset, followed old threads, ask a lot of questions. We are in our third year of a complete rebuild, can actually see the light at the end. Enjoy the journey and your boat. Why not send some pictures and let us follow along?
Thanks, Mark. Here's a few (if I can figure out how to do it):
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Dave
Albin 36
Molly
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

Wow! What a beauty. From the looks of that hardy crew I'd say you are well on your way. Any extended trips in the planing stages?
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Welcome: What a great fine. Looks to be in outstanding condition.
Howard
davb1947
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by davb1947 »

Mark Deeser wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:40 pm Wow! What a beauty. From the looks of that hardy crew I'd say you are well on your way. Any extended trips in the planing stages?
Mark, the plan is in development, but so far it looks like this:
- winter storage at Sodus PT, NY where she’s been for years;
- launch as early as possible;
- do some short shakedown trips to Little Sodus Bay, Henderson Harbor, Sackett’s Harbor, all on the NY side of Lake Ontario;
- if all goes well, cruise the Thousand Islands;
- then Bay of Quinte;
- then Trent-Severn Waterway to Georgian Bay, North Channel, and home.

Fingers are crossed! The shakedown cruises will tell the story. I’m just hoping, with a new old boat, that we don’t find a lot to fix that keeps us from cruising home.

We would love to connect with other owners along the way!
Dave
Albin 36
Molly
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

Welcome, We have a 1983 36, I have been maintaining and upgrading now for 4 years. We just completed a cruise from South Carolina to The Chesapeake bay. and back. We have enjoyed the boat tremendously. Do you have one of the rare twin engine 36? there were only a few built.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you'll be living our dream! We have our trusty A25, but would be nice to have the extra comforts of the A36, or if not Albin then a CHB. If we did that, which for us would be too much of a drain financially, our preference would San Juans/Gulf Islands, maybe home port in Sidney, BC to avoid WA state use taxes. But there's a lot of great cruising where you are.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
davb1947
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by davb1947 »

Panhdjoe wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:48 pm Welcome, We have a 1983 36, I have been maintaining and upgrading now for 4 years. We just completed a cruise from South Carolina to The Chesapeake bay. and back. We have enjoyed the boat tremendously. Do you have one of the rare twin engine 36? there were only a few built.
I guess so. I don’t know how many they built as twins. As an old sailor I like having a second mode of propulsion. I’m eager to see how the twins do with fuel consumption. I’ll report it this summer. Two propulsion engines and a gen-set make for a crowded engine room. Maybe if I lose a few pounds I will be able to get around a bit easier.
Dave
Albin 36
Molly

Return to “New Member Introductions”