• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Prospective new owner

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
stujamuk
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Gosport

Prospective new owner

Post by stujamuk »

Hi, I'm UK based and currently have spent my life sailing on the South coast from Portsmouth. We currently have a small 26ft Westerly Centaur which I bought to introduce the family but due to having a couple of young kids and a wife who doesn't sail we have decided to buy a motor yacht and have fallen in love with the trawler style. Initially looking at Grand Banks I was put off by the twin engines and doing research came across Albin. We have found an Albin 36 with a single Ford Lehman 135 and are looking to purchase in the near future. If anyone has any advice please do pass on your knowledge as its all new to me.

Stuart
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Re: Prospective new owner

Post by Mark Deeser »

Welcome Stuart, sounds like you have a nice play ground. I'm not familiar with that model, but in general Albins are well thought out,and have a loyal following. I'm sure someone with that boat will weight in, hope you find the boat that's right for you.
stujamuk
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Gosport

Post by stujamuk »

Thanks Mark, Its a big juggling act at the moment but very excited to get on the Trawler ladder
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

Welcome Stuart -
I have a 36, with the Lehman 120. I know that there is a thread on this site somewhere with really good information on what to look for - maybe under "General"
Personally - my suggestions - aside from the usually boat things to check. Albin 36 specific things - are
  • Check the decks - some have replaced the original teak with fiberglass - as most of the older decks leak you can crawl in under the salon seating and get a nice view of under the decks
      Leaks along the windows - again, due to teak frames - they tend to leak
        Fuel tanks and water tanks - check the fill tubes for corrosion and general shape of the tanks. Some have replaced them with plastic or new tanks (mine are still chugging along after 30+ yrs)
      Reb Buckley
      36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
      15' Guardian Whaler
      Westerly, RI (WYC)
      whwells
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Hi Stuart: Welcome. Seems like Buckley has given you all the heads up. The classic can be a fine boat. Those i have seen are just off shoot of the Grand Banks of the same time. The probably had the same builders.
      We all hate water leaks but it is a boat and those problems can resolved. The Lehman 120 is a great engine and very cost effective to operate. Have seen several with twins which makes mooring easier for old guys like me.
      Enjoy. Howard

Return to “New Member Introductions”