• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

The Northern Dream

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
yakka
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ketchikan Alaska

The Northern Dream

Post by yakka »

Hello everyone, I am excited to join the group. My name is Greg Thomas.
Over 20 years ago I paddled to Alaska in my kayak and settled in Ketchikan. I met an old character,named Al Plitt whose dream was to cruise Southeast Alaska and die on his Albin 27 Family Cruiser called "Northern Dream". He took me fishing and this was the first power boat I went on in Alaska.
Alas, he did pass away 3 years ago but in his native New York. The vessel was sold off and lay at the marina never being used and going green with mould.
Any way yesterday I bought her and have already driven her to her new berth and started sprucing her up.
My dream is to wind down my company ( I have 6 boats and fifty kayaks) and start cruising with my family.
I look forward to reading the forums on this site .
I would like to know what product members have found best for sprucing up the teak window trims.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: The Northern Dream

Post by DCatSea »

Wonderful story. Welcome to the group. I’m looking forward to seeing your pix of this venerable and obviously well-loved 27FC - before and after.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Welcome aboard, yakka.

You'll find lots of help here on the forum. Good for you on your project. What a great way to honor and remember an old friend.
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

Welcome aboard, a great boat with a neat back story, can't ask for more than that. I bet you have some beautiful scenery up that way, would love to see some pictures. Keep the old gentilmens dream alive and have some fun.
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

Sorry forgot about window trim. I sanded mine down to bear wood, put on 3 coats of West System 105 with 207 hardener. It drys clear. I finished with 3 coats of Spar Varnish. Looks very good with nice depth of finish. I'm hoping this will extend the finish life. It is quick to do , with the 105 you can put on all 3 coats in one day.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Welcome, Yakka. Can't believe no one has asked - do you have a kayak business or do you just need a personal fleet? :)
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
yakka
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ketchikan Alaska

Post by yakka »

Thank you all for the wonderful welcome. I will certainly post some photos.
I do indeed have a kayak company, its 25 years old this next season. After travelling the US singing folk songs I have settled down to be the local shanty man. When I first met Al and the Norther Dream I re wrote "fiddlers Green" and substituted Northern Dream in the chorus. I typed it on an old Remington typewriter and gave it to him for Christmas . Today while cleaning the aft "stateroom" I found the original type written version in the book rack Definitely shed a tear.
Thanks again.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Yakka: What an exciting story and experience. Thank you for sharing it with us. Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Perhaps we can be helpful in your enterprise.
I am currently between boats. Actually my last boat was sold to another AOG MEMBER
in your area who operates a 6 pack seasonal fishing operation.

My NO. 1 bucket list was to have a boat in the Puget Sound to include one long trip to southern
Alaska. Have only made it to Desolation sound in BC. However, the next boat must include this trip before I am too old to make it happen.

Perhaps we can stop. meet you and check out the progress. I am looking at 3 boats now and of course the first choice is out of my price range. When I get real the summer trip will begin.

We have PNG lady member who is doing the kayak thing to Alaska in parts and has in fact completed good deal of it. Maybe we will all get there one day.

Welcome to this fine group. There is also a PNG AOG group out of the Puget Sound area that meets at the Seattle Boat Show annually to plan the summer meet. Watch the Rendezvous section for details.

Howard

Return to “New Member Introductions”