• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hello from Port St. John, Florida

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
ednlorna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port St. John, FL

Hello from Port St. John, Florida

Post by ednlorna »

I've been an Albin fan for years and I am looking to purchase one to do some cruising here in the Sunshine State.

I'm a married retiree and have been the proud owner of a SeaPro Center Console Fishing Boat since 2002. It would be great to find the owner of an Albin 25 Family Cruiser who's interested trading for a CC fishing boat!
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Hello from Port St. John, Florida

Post by WillieC »

Welcome, ednlorna! Good luck with your search. You might post in the For Sale section and get more hits. Seems like there have been a few listed in your corner of the country.
Our A25 was used by the previous, previous owner for Puget Sound/Salish Sea salmon fishing. That owner, was trying to catch enough for his daughter's wedding feast. I heard he did well at that. Even with the BC hardtop the WillieC has.
ednlorna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ednlorna »

Thanks WillieC!

I will get some photos and post my Sea Pro as you suggest.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Ed,

You mentioned in a PM about looking at an Albin 27FC. Although the same basic center cockpit/aft cabin layout as the Albin 25 they are substantially different in size, beam, and construction. Two feet in LOA translates to a lot more displacement and hull volume as well as beam. While they can be a bit faster than the A25 they're still a semi-displacement trawler type with maximum speed in the 8 knot range. Quite a bit different than planing along at 15 to 20 knots plus that you may be used to with the Sea Pro. Cost wise they're not that much different depending on condition.

Here's an excellent archived thread from 2016 on comparing the 25 to the 27FC. The initiator of the thread, "Hobbit" did end up selling his A25 & upsizing to the 27. His 25 "Hobbit" ended up in Sacramento, CA and last I heard was sold to a buyer from southern Arizona.

viewtopic.php?t=9640

By the way, I have a number of extended family relatives scattered around Florida in Fort Pierce, Kissimmee, Longwood, and Panama City. We did an extended RV road trip last fall & visited all of them, including my half brother in Fort Pierce who works at the Pursuit Boats factory.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
ednlorna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ednlorna »

Steve,

Thanks for the thread! JT48348's website (motor city boat werks) has an amazing amount of information and has me leaning toward the Albin 27. Also, there is one on the market very near to me. I'm in the process of checking it out. So far, I like what I've seen. This particular vessel has been sitting on its trailer for 6 years, so it's probably stuck on the bunks. I had that issue with another boat and it can be a bear to get the boat unstuck.

What I'm concerned about is the Nissan LD-28 diesel - the unavailability of parts. I need to find a good diesel mechanic in my area to look the engine over. (I don't suppose there are any surveyors nearby that really know Albins.) Also, there is evidence of leaks and water damage from the wood-framed ports which is tough to really assess with the vinyl covering in place. However, as "Smackman" remarked in his YouTube video, leaky ports and core rot never sank a vessel.

I do like the automotive type glass in the A 25 which I assume would be much less prone to leaks and require less maintenence/restoration.

One issue in the Hobbit Thread was standing head room. I'm 5'9" so I'm wondering how the A 25 would be for me personally with regards to head room. Your videos and posts have really got me thinking a A25 would be great.

The nearest A 25 I've found is in Up State New York. I like the online photos, but that's quite a drive...

Also, I need to sell or trade my current boat, a 2002 SeaPro. I currently own two boats and to purchase a third, well ...

Ed
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Two boats with a possible third!?! Back in my motorcycle days the running joke was, "Why do you have five motorcycles in the garage? Because I don't have room for six!"

I am five-ten but getting older and shorter as we speak and whack my head on the passage into the galley only two or three times a day when underway. Something about my technique because the Starfleet Commander is as tall if not taller than I and she has no problem. I do it mainly to hone my salty language skills. Or I drop tools into the bilge. Or scrape the hull. Reminds me I need to change the joker valve. Otherwise you'd think we run a blue hair kitting circle onboard. Land sakes!
ednlorna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ednlorna »

WillieC -

I know what you are saying, and yes, I have a motorcycle as well, and so does my lovely wife. Way too many toys.

An elderly relative gave me a 1966 Allumacraft jon boat with a 1979 Johnson 15 horse. Nice boat and I had fun refurbishing it. As far as I can determine, it was last run in 2004 before I got it.

Nice heavy gauge aluminum boat and I really like that old 2-stroke!

Ed
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

One issue in the Hobbit Thread was standing head room.
I'm a shade over 5'10" & really don't have much of a problem with our forward cabin. Coming from the trailer sailor world many of those small boats under 25 feet have sitting head room or less than 5'9". You could stand up in the forward cabin, at least in the area by the galley, but your head would be right up against the overhead (in nautical speak 'ceiling' is the interior sides of a cabin). However in the cockpit/wheelhouse you do have 6 foot head room except by the helm & over the engine box.
Can't help you with Nissan engine questions except to mention that overhaul or repower jobs get expensive quick.

Choice between the 25 & 27 is a matter of taste and intended uses. A 27 would be better kept in a slip at least seasonally than trying to launch every time you go out, especially for salt water, less of a problem for fresh water & also depends how usuable your local ramps are. And of course the extra room. Our situation is different due to our inland location & desire for long distance trailering to coastal waters, so the 25 fits our bill as a "Goldilocks" size for that purpose. Just today I finished successfully testing out raising our mast rig, (see the A25/A27 forum) so now we're back in the motor sailing game. Must say it was fun to look up & see a mast & boom again having been a sailboater since 1998.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
ednlorna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ednlorna »

Thanks, Steve! You have convinced me that I should be able to fit into an Albin 25.
ednlorna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Update on Hello from Port St. John, Florida

Post by ednlorna »

On Thursday (3/1/18), I saw a new post on Space Coast Craigslist for a 1972 Albin 25 Family Cruiser. (I have no Idea if it is a "Deluxe"?) As fast as I could, I rushed to Satellite Beach an bought It! Yay!

I'm now in the market for a trailer.

Regards,

Ed Weatherford

Port St. John, FL
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

WOOHOO! We'll help you figure out if it is a DeLuxe in short order.
Congratulations!

First clue is to look at the stern below the waterline. A slight curve, to keep the nose down with the high powered engine that came with the DeLuxe is your first clue. See DA's picture from today:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10761
ednlorna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ednlorna »

Thanks, WillieC!

I can't really see the stern as the boat is still in the water at the prior owners dock in Satellite Beach, Florida. There is a nasty bloom of brown algae in the Banana River now so I might just have to wait til the boat is hauled to get a look at the stern.

The vessel is Albin 25 No. 1220 if that provides a clue. The prior owner says it was the personal boat of the owner of the Anchorage Marina in Eau Gallie, Florida before he bought it.

Regards,

Ed

Return to “New Member Introductions”