• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Hampshire Boater

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Flud1
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Newington,NH USA

New Hampshire Boater

Post by Flud1 »

Hello Albin Owners Group,
My name is Fred , I currently own an Albermarle XF 28 that I will be selling this spring and I am on a search for a new-to-me boat.
I have generally owned and fished out of 20 to 23 foot CC's targeting striped bass and school tuna. I have a current USCG OUPV near coastal captains license which I obtained primarily so I can fish for both school tuna and commercial tuna. Fishing is first and foremost, but I have always loved to be on the water and I spend plenty of time with the family enjoying Great Bay , the Piscataqua River and the coastal areas of Southern Maine, NH and N. Mass at idle speed and on anchor or just drifting about.
So, my first question to the group, how does the 28' TE handle a beam sea? I have read plenty about how well this hull deals with a head sea, but virtually nothing about how they ride on an anchor or how they drift in a chop or "sporty" sea state. I understand that they will roll and pitch in 3-5 footers 7 to 10 seconds apart, but I'm curious about how they ride in 2-3 footers that aren't real steep.
Thank you in advance for your comments.

Fred L.
Proud owner of "CHELA" , a 28 TE FlushDeck running out of Great Bay Marine in Newington, NH
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: New Hampshire Boater

Post by Tree »

Not sure of your sea conditions there but here we have a very short sea (deep water from the channel hits the shallow water = short seas). The Albin is perfect for the job. I fish on the anchor 95% of the time and it really doesn’t matter what angle the waves hit you - the 28 handles it perfectly. Except for yesterday when I thought I’d pop out for a run since having new injectors and cambelt replaced -5-6’ standing sea in the ebb tide wind over tide. I bottled out before the boat did!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

She's got some decent V in the hull so she will rock/roll a tad while on the drift in a beam sea. But nothing like an Albermarle or CC. Her low center of gravity helps keep it within check and she returns when expected and does not feel unsafe..

Here's an "I was bored" short clip while sharking, not much but something..

https://youtu.be/IQFgtyOu70Y
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Falmouth, Maine

Post by Jaredh »

Hi Fred, Welcome!

I thought I would post my response to your email on the forum here so it is searchable for others with the same question.

"Hi Fred,

I have not spent much time drifting. When tuna fishing I'm anchored up and down south this winter I was mostly bump trolling.

The boat is as seaworthy as anything Ive been on under 35 feet. We have fished platts bank up here in Maine (~45-50 mile run) in up to 4' at 7s according to the buoys. This is an overnight trip and we are frequently the smallest boat out there by 5-10 feet.

With the keel and mild deadrise the rocking motion is not like that of a deep V, but you pay for it when a head sea gets stacked up. The boat will pound if run hard into a head sea (over 3 feet at short interval). In these situations slowing from 18 knots (typical cruise) to 15 or 16 knots is much more comfortable. It is also wet, even with the wipers I frequently have to run with the radar on when its snotty due to visibility.

Here are a couple videos of the boat running in the gulf of Maine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu0Dkcz_DlY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69D58U3f9co

Here is one bump trolling off Islamorada in the Keys back in early Feb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGpNTDs6GQ4

Let me know if you have any other questions. Id argue its the most seaworthy boat you can tow at least for my use (more time at anchor offshore than running).

We would buy another one. For tuna fishing the flush deck is a whole different animal deck space wise than the engine box. We looked at a number of engine box boats and I think I would already be looking to upgrade if we went that route. Instead of a tote with our anchor and line the central in deck fish box holds all that. I don't believe we would be able to stow the necessary gear for a multiple day tuna trip on the engine box model.

People make a big deal about the smaller aft berth, but thats typically where I sleep offshore (5'11" and 220lbs) and I find it comfortable.

Thanks,
Jared"
2003 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck "Isla" (Formerly "Dogonit")
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Falmouth, Maine

Post by Jaredh »

Another video link that was included in the email but exceeded the 3 url max for the forum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MMSwxcEjg4
2003 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck "Isla" (Formerly "Dogonit")

Return to “New Member Introductions”