• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

NEW FC27 Owner in Texas

Albin's "power cruisers"
boater_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seabrook, Texas

NEW FC27 Owner in Texas

Post by boater_mike »

Howdy y'all!!

Well, I have wanted one of these forever, and finally got one that wasn't far from home - my very own FC27. The minute I sold my beloved Morgan Sailboat, I went a lookin'.

I found one a few weeks ago, made the purchase, and had it brought up from Rockport, Texas today (NOT a hurricane Harvey boat). It's currently sitting at a local yard while I repaint the bottom and check a few things, get it registered and get some needed outfitting items - fenders, dock lines and whatnot.

Getting ready for some good Texas boating!!
"Corda Francis" - 1984 ALBIN 27FC #129
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Re: NEW FC27 Owner in Texas

Post by Mark Deeser »

Welcome mike, your story reads so much like ours. We had to sell our sail boat because of mobility issues. There was an Albin 27 FC at a marina where we walked, I’d stop and look at it all the time.. Finally found one on line, you made a good choice, they are great little boats.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Mike - welcome to the 27FC owners club; you are going to love chugging around in her. I look forward to seeing some pix when you get round to it.
Not only a great little cruising boat, but a really good reason to upgrade your toolbox - enjoy.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
boater_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boater_mike »

Thanks everyone.

We've started the bottom today - actually my son did :D There are some items I need to check as this particular boat has been out of water and in storage for about a year. Specifically, I wanted to check stuffing box, rudder shaft packing ect. All of this looked to be good, but again, it was out of water.

I did not like - what looks to be - plastic through hulls below the waterline. Do they just look like plastic or are they actually plastic?? Marelon?? Thinking of replacing those immediately.

Any other feedback and/or suggestions particular to this model boat are welcome.

-Mike
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

Mike, are they thru hulls or the cock pit drains? On my 1986 all thru hulls (underwater) are bronze.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Mike, The thru-hulls will be plainly marked "Marelon" on the outside mushroom surface if they are of that material. Marelon feels more like teflon than plastic. On the original Albins, all thru-hulls below the waterline were bronze, but the above the waterline drain thru-hulls were plastic and should be checked for cracking or breakage. Ben
boater_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boater_mike »

Definitely not the cockpit drains. One is from the head, and one is the engine intake. I'll take a closer look for the "Marelon" marking tego.As fore the feel, they feel like a "heavy gauge" plastic, if that makes sense.

They look in good shape and they operate fine, though I had to "unlock" the one that was the head outlet - it had a chain and lock on the handle to prevent use, re: no overboard discharge.

As for replacing them, i was all ready to go until pricing bronze replacements...the current ones operate.....though, if original, they are pushing up on 35 years old. And if it makes a difference, the boat has been used only in fresh water and I'll be in saltwater.

I'm really torn about replacing them or leaving well enough alone.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

Mike, There is absolutely nothing wrong with using Marelon thru-hulls and seacocks. A PO probably changed them from the original bronze to the current "plastic" to avoid electrolysis or replace the bronze ones that had deteriorated due to electrolysis. Anyway, if they are not Marelon, I would definitely replace them ASAP. "Marelon" units are considerably less than bronze and are just as good. Ben
boater_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boater_mike »

Thanks Ben! I checked them, and yes, definitely Marelon! Raised letters right on the handles - I just didn't see them before with my poor eyesight! Anyways...tomorrow is Saturday, and after running a few errands, another day of joyfully scraping bottom paint off of my beloved new toy....just kidding. It's not fun.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

Mike, I feel your pain! I'm hauling out the middle of next month to do my engine swap, finish installing my Lectrasan, polish the hull, and bottom paint. I think I'm going to hurt pretty bad myself! (But I really do love this boat!). Ben
boater_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boater_mike »

Ok...so it begins...

I need an injector for my Lehman 4D61.

I was thinking of posting elsewhere, but those related posts were old. The injector looks to be the "screw-in" type (Lehman #P17010A) and not the more standard ones I've seen in my exhaustive search for Peugeot 504 injector parts.

It started smoking like crazy and I noticed a little weeping around the #3 injector. I didn't have the proper tools with me to pull it, and i won't be at the boat again until next week. But i did snap a pic. Any help would be appreciated.

-Mike
KIMG0392.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

Mike, Call American Diesel in Kilmarnock, VA. Brian can get you pointed in the right direction. That injector can probably be rebuilt. You can Google the phone number. I bought some parts from Brians dad a number of years ago for my Lehman 120s on my bigger trawler, which I sold about 10 years ago. Good luck. Ben
boater_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boater_mike »

Parts availability for the engine was the biggest concern I had when purchasing the boat. I have learned TONS about this motor since getting the boat. NOT ALL 4D61s are the same. Some used different injectors, injection pumps, etc. General advice - do some homework. The parts are out there.

BOMAC and American Diesel no longer carries parts for the 4D61...almost no one does. They couldn't even point me to who may. Detective work ensued.

SOME parts are available through NAPA (good source for filters) and BAP-GEON (has SOME engine parts cross referenced to the Peugeot 502 2.1D (Indenor XPD.90)).

SO.... after many tries at ultrasonically cleaning the injectors (did not work), and various "cleaning" additives, I have located brand new nozzles and actual injectors from a company in The Netherlands. Not cheap though. Injectors looking to be about $98 each plus shipping charges.I'm still awaiting the actual invoice for payment, but will keep everyone posted.

Evidently this company has quite a stock of parts for these engines, as the marinized Peugeot cross references to the Vetus p4.21, as was / is quite popular in European boats.

I hope to get them soon and installed before I leave for a good part of the summer (heading to Europe).

-Mike

Almost forgot:

https://www.drinkwaard.com/en/

These guys are very helpful and have a stock of parts for the 4D61.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

That's some good detective work. I will be interesting to see if it helps with the smoking exhaust. I know mine is embarrassing when I start it up. I try to do it when no one is around. Or just say I'm getting rid of the mosquitoes. Good luck and keep us posted.
Chris

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”