• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New from N.J.

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
yanmar
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: forked river nj

New from N.J.

Post by yanmar »

Hello All ,

I currently own a 26 ' Chesapeake deadrise center console but am in the market to buy an 80's or 90's Albin 27 . Prefer diesel but will take a gasser as well . I plan on using it for fishing so it does not need to be immaculate but does need to be structurally sound . I can find plenty of projects around here LOL . I will be a two boat owner so under $ 25000.00 will do .

Thanks Dennis
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: New from N.J.

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Hi there Dennis & Welcome aboard from a fellow Jersey Shore native.

Albin 27's are all diesels, as are the 28TE & 31TE. But Albin 27FC boats are completely different than 28's. The 28TE's are also a lot more expensive, but are fast sport fishing boats with single screw diesel. There is a 1986 Albin 27FC with Nissan 78 HP diesel in Lanoka Harbor listed on Boat Trader, right in your bailiwick. Probably still up on the hard for winter storage. The FC stands for "Family Cruiser" and is center cockpit/aft cabin layout with a small sitting headroom aft cabin that has a pair of quarter berths. There's a 'fisherman' version listed up in Charlestown, Rhode Island that doesn't have the aft cabin & better setup for fishing if you don't need the aft cabin, but it's a bit rough around the edges from the looks of the ad photos, & at minimum could use a bottom paint job. Neither boat appears to come with a trailer.

Anyway, though I've lived in Arizona for many years, I grew up just down the road from you in Barnegat until my sophomore year at Southern Regional back in the '60s when we moved to upstate NY. My late father was once a supervisor at the Barnegat toll plaza on the Parkway.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
yanmar
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by yanmar »

Thanks for the welcome and congrats for leaving the expensive state I mean the Garden State .........lol . I see many F.C.'s and thought about what it would take to hack off the rear quarters but it would require upgraded power to get a cruise speed I would be comfortable with ( 17 kt. ) so it's not really in the budget . I had a Sisu 26 and the cruise was 12 kt's and I got tired of that , plus it would pitch and roll pretty good as it was a built down keel . So I will search to the end's for a 27 express as I like the idea of no engine box as well ! I 've seen two 27 in mass but trying to get a response is like pulling teeth .
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

Welcome Dennis, Albin 27s are great little boats, that being said if you need a 17 knot cruise look for a different model. Think 6 or 7 for a 27 FC, and a bit more for the SC with the bigger engine. The 27s are for the slow lane. Happy hunting.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

If you're feeling a 'need for speed', then you're thinking in terms of a 28TE, which is more in line with a sport fisher type like a Bertram or something. But then you're talking in the high 5 figure to low 6 figure price range. Under $25K ain't gonna happen.

The Downeast type like the Sisu reminds me of an old woodie my grandfather once had down in Tuckerton back in the 40's & 50's. Which by the way he was the RCA engineer in charge of the old Tuckerton wireless station form the 1920s to late '40s, the site of which is now Mystic Island subdivision. That boat's long gone of course.
Copy of IMG_0154.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
yanmar
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by yanmar »

Even if you were to put more H.P. ( say 300 ) the hull is only capable of a max speed ? Thanks Dennis ( trying to learn as there isn't a lot of info on the older models )
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Even if you were to put more H.P. ( say 300 ) the hull is only capable of a [7 to 8 knot] max speed?
That's right. We're talking displacement hull speeds here, plowing through the water, not riding on top of it. As such LWL, that is waterline length, is the determining factor of hull speed because a displacement hull cannot escape the trough of it's bow & stern wave. The formula for estimated displacement hull speed in knots is 1.35 X sq root of water line length in feet.The A27 is somewhat "semi-displacement", but is by no means anything close to a planing hull. More like a pocket trawler type. For instance my Albin 25 with a waterline length of about 22 feet cruises at 6.5 knots top speed because it's a full displacement hull like a sailboat & the engine is only 24 HP. But it gets better than 13 nautical MPG mileage, burning 0.4 to 0.5 GPH at hull speed. I have a 20 gallon fuel tank,and conservatively a 195 nautical mile range with 5 gallons left in reserve. For example, I could easily get from Barnegat Inlet to Ocean City, MD on about 10 gallons of fuel. Would just take 19 hours running time vs 6 hours at 20+ knots . It's life in the slow lane. Or as we call it, "La Dolce Vita", "The Sweet Life".
705crop.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Return to “New Member Introductions”