• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Member in Virginia, Hampton Roads area

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
wichhojr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Newport News, VA

New Member in Virginia, Hampton Roads area

Post by wichhojr »

Hi, I don't currently own an Albin, but I'm shopping. I'm looking for either a 25 or 27 in usable condition, close enough to home that relocation costs don't make the deal unreasonable. I live in Newport News, VA, plan to keep the boat in a marina near the mouth of the James River, and hope to cruise the local tributaries around Hampton Roads. Once I get comfortable with the boat, I'd like to go up into the Chesapeake Bay and/or down the ICW. I'm new to this powerboat existence...once had a Cape Dory 25 and have chartered larger sailboats, but I'm thinking one of these boats will offer a better cruise-to-work ratio and better range than my sailboat did (please don't shatter my dream if I'm wrong!). Looking forward to learning much from this group.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: New Member in Virginia, Hampton Roads area

Post by WillieC »

Welcome, wichhojr! Just don't ask me to say it. You will not be disappointed once you find the right boat. Poke around on the website here, it seems a few have been posted back east. Relocating costs are one and done, if you find the right one.

Glad to have you aboard. Please keep us posted on your search. DesertAlbin736 probably has one picked out for you, so keep checking! I think they may be out on the lake this weekend.
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

Welcome to the form, to find a good example of 25s or 27s could take some time, the fleet is aging. I’m not sure about the availability in your area. Hope your search goes well.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

DesertAlbin736 probably has one picked out for you, so keep checking! I think they may be out on the lake this weekend.
Ha ha, that WillieC!

Welcome aboard. Mark's right, the fleet is aging. For A25's the newest one you're ever likely to run across would be late 1970s. Relatively newer 1980s vintage A27's are more numerous. Biggest concentrations of A25s are in the Northwest, like coastal BC Canada. It's a shame more weren't imported, and the type is still popular in Europe.

Many Albin 25 & 27 owners including myself migrated from sailboats, used to and prefering the "life in the slow lane" style of cruising familiar to sailboaters, but without the "I've never worked so hard to go so slow" of sail. My last sailboat was a Catalina 25 wing keel with 8 HP outboard. Fuel economy of the Albin 25 can't be beat. My boat has the same make and model engine as was installed in many Benteteau 32 sailboats. Gets 13+ nautical MPG, 0.4 to 0.5 GPH at normal hulls speed cruising of 6.5 knots. With a 20 gallon fuel tank that's a range of 195 NM with 5 gallon reserve remaining, although I don't like to let mine go below 1/2 tank.

Wish I could help you find one, but you just have to keep searching the various sites like Boat Trader, Yacht World, & CL, even Ebay and be willing to go long distances when you find one, maybe even as far as Florida or Texas. We drove 850 miles from Phoenix to American Falls, ID to get ours. If possible, look for one that's already been restored & upgraded with a seller facing health issues or old age and be ready to pay a commensurate price, and preferably one that comes with a trailer. These are old boats, mine is 47 years old. I can't speak for the A27, but quality of the Swedish built A25 is exceptionally robust.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Post by Bearkeley »

Welcome! Not sure how far you are willing to go for your Albin but we saw an A27 Sport for sale in St Augustine last month (X. We didn’t look into it but the hull, prop, etc looked like it was in good shape. I understand that the owner did quite a bit of work on it. We found our A27 via this forum and had it shipped to Va from Texas....worth it! Good luck!

http://www.xynidesboatyard.com
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida

Return to “New Member Introductions”