• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New boat Mary C south florida

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
mistyjim1
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Cave junction or

New boat Mary C south florida

Post by mistyjim1 »

Hi,. Just bought the Mary C out of south florida, she is a 27 aft cabin that seemed well loved before the hurricane caught her. Looking to bring her home to the Pacific Northwest as a trailer trawler. If anyone has information on the boat I'd love to know more about her. I bought her as salvage as is we're is. Seems like all the softgoods were removed for storage as there is no sign of them on board. I picture somebody with a garage full of cushions and Bimini canvas, sure like to find it. Boat had a lot of growrth on the bottom so I'm going do a scrape and paint before I bring her home, don't want to freak out the invasive species guys along the route home. Anyone have a blister issues on these boats, also how much bottom paint does iit take. Also anyone sailing out of southern Oregon?
Ok enough late night rambling, greetings to all
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: New boat Mary C south florida

Post by WillieC »

Welcome aboard, mj1! Poke around on the site, figure out how to use the search function, and you will find answers to all your questions. Too bad about all the missing stuff. Your boat just got a lot more expensive. Take comfort in the fact that most of it probably needed refreshing anyway.

So you would be doing mostly coastal cruising? What is closest down there, Crescent City? Oh, the fun you will have!
mistyjim1
Mate
Mate

Post by mistyjim1 »

Hi willieC. Yes cresent City is closest but I mainly fish out of Brookings. I have a 21 ft custom aluminium boat also. I may do some weekends at Brookings but hope to use the albin up north in the better cruising grounds of Washington and maybe Canada. Also lake Mead and there is a big resivore south of me. History is sailing, sailed down from Michigan to the Caribbean but mostly fell in love with the Bahamas. What boat do you have / adventures planed
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Blaine to Desolation Sound and hopefully back! Madly prepping, but taking a break today to go shrimping on the Canal.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Also lake Mead and there is a big reservoir south of me.
We passed through the Lake Mead area last month en route to an RV campout in Snow Canyon in southern Utah. We camped for a night on the way next to Mead. Lake level is way down due to the ongoing drought, 43% full. Lake Powell is almost as bad (we passed by there on the return home) at 52% full, up only 2.34 feet from this time a year ago.

Welcome aboard by the way.

Yeah, we know all about Oregon's invasive species inspections. Our home waters, Lake Pleasant in AZ is thoroughly infested with Quagga mussels. We're also planning trailering to launch at Blaine & cruise to Desolation Sound in company with WillieC (our own little Albin rendezvous), and our boat is currently being stored on the trailer. The last time we had it in Lake Pleasant was almost a month ago & we're letting it "drain & dry" in AZ desert heat until we leave for Blaine in mid-June. Oregon has inspection points on I-84 where all boats on trailers have to pull over & be inspected and they literally crawl under the boat and feel the bottom for signs of invasive critters. Then they put a zip tie seal on your bow eye to show it hasn't been launched since passing inspection, even though we're only passing through & headed for salt water in another state.

So many AOG newbies come over from sailing, myself included. Most of my sailing was on AZ lakes & a couple times off Monterey, CA & out to Catalina Island twice & once on the Chesapeake over the last 20 years.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
mistyjim1
Mate
Mate

Post by mistyjim1 »

Sounds like a nice trip you guys got planned. I take it there's not a lot of Albins on the West Coast. if all goes well I should probably be bringing my boat to the West Coast from Florida right around the time your sailing. Sure would like to meet up with somebody who knows those Waters. Still not sure entirely what I have, I have not seen her. Good friend of mine has been on board and tells me that I've done well. But still looking forward to actually seeing her. Ive a yard in Florida scheduled to do the bottom, and a guy in Medford to do the interior cushions that are missing. Need to find a good canvas maker in South Oregon. Once I get her over here I'll take care of the Mechanicals and general Cleanup and improvements and hope to have her launched in the Pacific sometime this summer at least for a trial run

Return to “New Member Introductions”