• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Looking for a 36'

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
macriverrat
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Clayton NY

Looking for a 36'

Post by macriverrat »

Hello folks. I'm Dale and I live in the 1,000 Islands region on the St Lawrence River in Clayton NY. When I retired I purchased property and built a new home on one of the islands. It has been a fantastic life style but I yearn for some cruising. Those of you familiar with the area realize the cruising potential offered here is some of the best in the world. Left over from my sailing days is the desire to never have to crawl in or out of a vee berth. High on my requirement list is a aft cabin walk-around double. I would be very content with a single screw with the addition of a thruster(s). I have long felt that the Albin 36 and 40 are probably the best looking trawlers out there. I would be more than grateful for any leads a member could provide. I'm happy to be a new member and I feel I'm in very good company.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Looking for a 36'

Post by jleonard »

I am at Block Island and I met the owners of a 1985 Albin 40 and they want to sell.
Jack Evie. Boat is named Eldridge C.
Jacks number is 772-321-0929.
Call him and talk.
I have no stake in this o am passing info ahead.
Good luck!
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

Seek and ye shall find, be really neat ifone post found your boat. Life should be so easy.
macriverrat
Swabby
Swabby

Post by macriverrat »

You guys are awesome. I'll let you know if anything materializes.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Happy hunting!
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
macriverrat
Swabby
Swabby

Post by macriverrat »

I am still in the market looking for a Albin 36 or 40. Any help members can provide would be deeply appreciated. Finding a 36' with a center line queen in the master would be my top choice. Thank you.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

jleonard’s boat (the post above yours). Send him a direct message.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

PM reply sent. Thanks Rob
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

No problemo, glad to help, both you and a prospective buyer.

Been aboard AA many times and knowing your very high level of knowledge and care all I can say is whomever gets to be the next owner of AA is one lucky dude. Almost as lucky as someone who buys one of my boats! :D
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

So glad Rob, even with his new Chris, still hangs out here.
So much good, selflessly shared experience that benefits us all.
Thanks, Rob.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Welcome aboard! You've come to the right place. An Albin 27 FC owner & AOG'er 'motthediesel' lives in your area near Alexandria Bay. It may be heresy to say so, but the A36 is Taiwan built & similar to other Taiwan trawlers like Marine Traders, Universal, Puget & Northwest trawlers.
We're hoping to cruise your area this coming summer with our A25, launching, starting at, and looping back to Brewerton on Oneida Lake, via Oswego Canal-Lake Ontario-Kingston-Rideau Canal-Ottowa-Montreal-Sorel-Richelieu-Champlain-Waterford-Erie Canal.
See our article in current issue of BoatUS Magazine.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

By far most of the 36's have a double to port, not walk around. it was the last few years they had the walk around.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Panhdjoe is quite right about most aft cabin beds not being walk around queens, not only with Albins, but most other Taiwan built trawlers as well. Also, there's a big difference between 1990s vintage Albin 36 Express trawlers and earlier classic Albin 36 aft cabin trawlers. The former are more modern "Europa" style with open aft cockpit, no aft cabin, & main sleeping quarters up in the bow, often a V berth but could be walk around. In general with the older aft cabin Taiwan built trawlers, whether Albin classics or any other make such as Marine Trader, DeFever, or Universal, there are a lot of potential pitfalls to watch out for. Among them could be leaking window frames, teak decks that can leak into deck coring through screw holes, and especially mild steel fuel tanks, which if they rust through for any reason require practically tearing the boat apart to replace. Also a LOT of exterior teak trim to keep varnished.

This blog is very instructive on the fuel tank issue. Needless to say, I'm guessing you might not want to get stuck dealing with a can of worms like this.

http://mvsanderling.net/Blog/?p=1251

As a side note, a couple years ago we considered this same idea of going with a 34 or 36 trawler to keep up in the Pacific NW as a liveaboard summer cruising home and looked at a number of trawlers in the Seattle/Puget Sound area. Besides the distance from our Arizona home, which we're not prepared to give up, the overall expense, not just purchasing a boat in the $40K to $60K range (with a cheaper boat you'll end up spending more one way or another) but also all the attendant operating, slip fees, on the hard storage, and maintenance expenses, we came to the sober conclusion it would end up being quite a bit beyond our means. There is also another Canadian A25 owner and AOG member in Gananoque, ON right across the river from you who's been thinking along the same lines as you about up-sizing to a larger trawler, except not owning a private island in the St. Lawrence. He's been trying to sell his Albin 25, shown here, which is still for sale.

https://moreboats.com/boats/albin/25-deluxe/309735

In 2017 we had done an extensive cross country RV travel trailer road trip which included crossing over into Ontario at the Peace Bridge near Buffalo to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls and on up to Gananoque for a visit with this A25 owner Stephen Duggan. He took us for a ride in his boat around some of those small islands near Gananoque. Lovely area with scenes like this:
20170902_150428.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Post by cdsailor »

macriverrat wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:52 am Hello folks. I'm Dale and I live in the 1,000 Islands region on the St Lawrence River in Clayton NY. When I retired I purchased property and built a new home on one of the islands. It has been a fantastic life style but I yearn for some cruising. Those of you familiar with the area realize the cruising potential offered here is some of the best in the world. Left over from my sailing days is the desire to never have to crawl in or out of a vee berth. High on my requirement list is a aft cabin walk-around double. I would be very content with a single screw with the addition of a thruster(s). I have long felt that the Albin 36 and 40 are probably the best looking trawlers out there. I would be more than grateful for any leads a member could provide. I'm happy to be a new member and I feel I'm in very good company.
This Albin 33 has been for sale for quite some time. Judging by the pictures, she could/should be had for significantly less than the asking price, if one were interested. I realize it's not what you asked about, but I thought I'd throw it out there beyond all the 36's listed on sites like Yachtworld.com.
<>

Return to “New Member Introductions”