• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hello - Recently Purchased an Albin 27

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
IdahoAlbin27
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Plan To Moor in Anacortes Washington

Hello - Recently Purchased an Albin 27

Post by IdahoAlbin27 »

Hello - I am a new Albin 27 owner. I purchased the boat in Montana and towed the boat to it's temporary home in Idaho. Eventually we are going to trailer the boat to Anacortes Washington.
I have some concerns on how the boat is currently resting on the trailer bunks. The trailer (currently) does not support the keel at any location. There are a total of 2 bunks (one on each side). Each bunk is approximately 16 feet long and consist of 2-2x6's sandwiched together - laying flat. The raw water intake is bulging (interfering) the right side bunk. It is a good strong galvanized trailer. Does anyone have any information regarding "proper" trailer support for the Albin 27 sport?
Thank you,
IdahoAlbin27
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: Hello - Recently Purchased an Albin 27

Post by DCatSea »

Welcome to the forum, and to A27 ownership.
I'm no trailer expert by any means (DesertAlbin - you there?), but I would suggest that with ca. 6500lbs empty you would need to support the majority of the weight on the very sturdy A27 keel, and use the bunks as stabilizers, before strapping off for transit. Can you lift the boat off the trailer and place it on blocks while you modify the trailer to provide keel support? Especially if you plan on trailering any distance.
FYI - We used a flatbed to move our A27 from SC to MD. Bigger really is better
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Agree with Doug. Figure your weight fully, completely loaded with extra cases of beer stacked to the ceiling. Then add more.

We had a trailer built for our A25 and we rounded down, never a good idea but we are cheap. Our rationale was that we only needed the trailer to haul the boat about 200', in and out of the Canal we live on. Then Desert Albin suggested we meet up with them and go to Desolation Sound! Sounds great! Now our 200' trailer became a 200 mile trailer. And it is over loaded and took about ten years off my life hauling it up the gravel road known locally as I-5.

It costs what it costs. Take your time to find out what components your trailer manufacturer is using. Research those components and inquire about upgrades. Or find a better trailer builder. Most work through local marinas and boat yards, none of this direct sale stuff. Amazon should sell boat trailers, but I digress.

Welcome aboard! Others will weigh in, I am sure, with more specific info.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

On my website on the page with the Albin 27 Buyers Guide there’s some information and a diagram with measurements on supporting the Albin 27 on a trailer.

I can tell you my trailer is a late 90s Heritage triple axel trailer for a Cobalt 292 boat that was modified to accept the Albin 27. Basically previous owner(s) raised the bunks, two per side, to support and balance the boat on the trailer while the keel rests on a center channel welded in the middle of the trailer. The channel is approximately 15-20” wide and it’s basically just a plate welded on. The keel rests on this. Very simple. You will want some center support for long distance trailering. You might be able to add a channel to your trailer with clever planning. Consider having it lifted off while refitting the trailer or buying second hand boat stand jacks, raising the boat slightly, then repositioning everything. It takes 6 jack stands to do this.

I would not rely on Albin 25 information to determine what to do with my Albin 27 as they’re two different boats, especially in construction, and simply not the same.
bondboy
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Orwell VT

Post by bondboy »

HI; for the last 3 weeks I have been talking to trailer manufactures about building a trailer for my Albin 27 FC....received luke warm interest...(at any price). Right now best bet is out of Canada....but they are so slow I think I am going to wait till spring and try again....but you are right. you need to support the keel. Trailer manufactures these days strictly making trailers for the popular mass produced boats...anything that takes some thought they pass
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

It really might be worth looking at commercial shippers. If you only want to trailer your 27 to its eventual watery home, and leave it there, then this might be a more cost effective and less mind-blowing option. And you can get a flatbed with stabilizers to provide the necessary keel support.
This means that you won't:
A) have to lie awake at night worrying about hauling 6500+lbs through 1142 miles of freeway and local roads, including crossing mountain ranges, yourself with a 3-axle trailer rig, and
B) be the guy annoying the drivers behind you over said 1142 miles; someone else will have that pleasure.
Flagship 1.JPG
You will, however, be the relaxed guy who drives to your local diner for a casual breakfast/lunch/dinner/coffee on the way to your home marina, where you will welcome the big rig that is delivering your new pride and joy to its new home. (bin there, enjoyed it :D )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Another pic - more of the trailer.
HH Lift 1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Bondboy, The Loadmaster trailer Co. in Port Clinton, OH has an excellent reputation and a very good trailer for the 27FC. Their design allows for lifting the vessel off the trailer with a travel lift or it can be built to launch with a truck at a ramp. They have a very good picture on their website with an Albin 27FC on the trailer. Talk to Meagan. Good luck, Ben
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

That's a tough one. I agree with JT, the 25 & 27 are substantially different boats. I would go with his Buyer's Guide info for measurements. But I also agree with Doug about hiring a transporter & forget about getting a trailer, that is IF your plans are to keep your boat docked in a slip full time once you get it to Anacortes & not do any distance trailering on a regular basis. You can always have it hauled & dry stored on blocks off season in a boat yard if that fits your plans. You might be in for some sticker shock on the cost of a new triple axle trailer. Coincidentally we bought our boat back in 2014 from a guy in Idaho located in American Falls down near Pocatello and the Snake River/American Falls Reservoir.

As a suggestion you might consider contacting the Ranger Tugs factory in Kent, WA for advice about trailers, as the R27 tug is similar size & displacement except has a narrower 8'6" beam. Perhaps they might be able to point you in the right direction or give you some tips.

http://www.rangertugs.com/contact.aspx
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “New Member Introductions”