• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

What have we done??? ;)

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: bayville, nj

What have we done??? ;)

Post by jashmen »

Not sure if we are crazy or not, but just purchased a 1978 36' Trawler. Please tell us we have not lost our minds! We can't wait for next spring to begin enjoying her. Now, if we could just figure out how to turn the lights on and start her.

Jeff & Jill Ashmen
Bayville, NJ
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Re: What have we done??? ;)

Post by crowra »

Yes, you are crazy! And will love your Albin 36! If you've never docked one before, I highly recommend reading this article. It saved me (and probably my marriage) 8 years ago.

http://www.his.com/~vann/KrgStuff/bakherin.htm

Scroll down to section 9 for other helpful docking articles:
http://www.his.com/~vann/KrgStuff/Krognidx.htm

Good luck!
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

Welcome to the form, looks like your off to a proper start, nice boat and good advice, enjoy.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Congratulations, and welcome to the forum. Not only a great boat, but an awesome opportunity to upgrade your toolbox (at least that's what my commodore now firmly believes :D ).
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

Hah - welcome to the club! Lights are over rated...
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jashmen »

Thanks everyone! We can use all the help we can get. Our first time using the boat will be bringing it from the Chesapeake to NJ. Yikes!
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Congrats on your purchase & welcome to the world of Albins! Bayville, NJ is less than 20 miles from my original home town of Barnegat. One of my half brothers still lives in Manahawkin. So yes, even though I've been an AZ desert rat for 41 years, I'm still at heart a Jersey Shore native.

So, where on the Chesapeake is your 'new' boat located? I've cruised parts of the Chesapeake a couple times, once in 2002 in a Montgomery 15 sailboat and again in 2015 in our Albin 25, both of which I trailered out from AZ.

It'll be a nice cruise for you up to the north end of the Bay to the Elk River, thence on the C&D canal to Delaware CIty on the river, down & across Delaware Bay to the Cape May Canal, follow the ICW on the inside, or outside as much as you want, up to Barnegat Bay & on to Toms River.

If you need crew, let me know, ha ha!
DSCN2857 (1280x960).jpg
Barnegat Inlet.jpg
Would you run Barnegat inlet in this boat?
IMG_0916.JPG
Who's crazier, you or me? :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
boater_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seabrook, Texas

Post by boater_mike »

Congratulations!

What a great boat! As mentioned, your toolbox will increase as will your skills in what I like to call "Repair under pressure" - making quick repairs to an old boat while underway. You'll certainly learn a lot as I did with our first real boat, including how to quickly get hold of Towboat US :mrgreen: If you don't have - get it. It's well worth the money.

-Mike
"Corda Francis" - 1984 ALBIN 27FC #129
jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jashmen »

DesertAlbin736 - I have run Barnegat inlet in several very different boats, but never one with a top speed of 10. Bringing the Albin through it has me very nervous. I have gone out fishing with it nice and smooth only to come back and have it take me a long time to get past the swells. Not sure how the 36 takes following 6-8 ft swells!
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

You'll have to slow down and let them pass under you.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Jim lanza
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Punta Gorda

Post by Jim lanza »

Jeff and Jill,
You've done what so many people only dream of doing. Owning a boat, and a great one at that. We've had Encore now since March of 2017, and even the 'disasters' have been fun. One cautionary point. Be prepared to undo all the stupid things that the previous owners have done. There have been a lot of years of half-arsed patches and 'this will do for now'. Even with all that, you're going to enjoy your Albin. We all do!

Jim Lanza (Floridian now, but a Jersey Boy for over 50 years! LOL)
M/V Encore
Albin 40 Sundeck
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

OK - Just entered the back-end-of-the-year-season. Mazboot is out of the water, flushed out, saran wrapped and ready for the winter. I have taken off the exterior wood, (I did the interior last year and already had the canvas extended to protect all of the exterior wood next and in the ensuing years.
I guess I am by now well on the way to being a half-arsed (Brit and apparently NJ spelling??) PO at some stage down the road,, but must admit to having taken care of a very satisfying number of PO-changes-for-the-better over the past 4 years. It sure does make you feel good (if not outrageously smug) when you change something the POs did. (thereby adding perceived value and enhancing your feeling of ownership).
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Post by cdsailor »

Congratulations! My parents bought their first trawler a little over a year ago, and we cruised her this summer from Lake Ontario to our home port on Lake Michigan. It was a grand adventure. I'm sure you'll love your new boat. Best of luck!
David
davb1947
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Joseph, MI

Post by davb1947 »

4D3C25A2-7608-41D9-BCD0-A51085C18CB0.jpeg
😄 I can empathize. After a lifetime as sailors, we suddenly bought a 1979 Albin 36 a year ago. Never owned a powerboat before. She seemed so complicated! So many systems. So much mechanical and electrical stuff! But we took our time, spent a lot of hours staring at things, taking photos, making drawings, figuring it out. After a week, we started her up. A few days later, we took her out - slowly and carefully. Now, a year and a thousand miles later, we feel like trawler pros. Stay in touch. We’re happy to help. Just ask. (You might like to check out our Facebook Page: Molly’s First Great Adventure.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Dave
Albin 36
Molly

Return to “New Member Introductions”